New here-Clockwork Angels art made by me

StevesRush

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 09:58 AM)
I was bored so I figured Id post this on a design site I go to, so you can get some feedback from some experienced designers.

Most of them feel the same way I did, way too busy, composition isnt great, the most important thing, the band name, is not readable enough, album title too small, too many photoshop filters, bevels, drop shadows, etc.

http://www.qbn.com/topics/634672/?page=1#last_reply

I can see you didn't mean any harm...the only problem I have is you could have gone about it a different way.

Instead of just posting it without asking the guy at all, maybe you could have sent him a PM of the website and told him he could get better advice there?

I'd be very upset if I returned to this thread and saw that someone had taken my work and put it on another site without even asking me.

But maybe that's just me. confused13.gif

He posted it here, this is the internet. The day you start getting pissed about this sort of thing on the internet, you really might want to find another field to get into rather than digital design, where it's going to find it's way around in a hurry.

Ive had my ass kicked in by other designers when I posted my work on the internet, it can get very brutal, and honestly if you get pissed about that and take it personally then you don't stand a chance at getting anywhere near Hugh Syme's level.

As a word of advice to him, if you're going to post your artwork on the internet, do it with a subtle watermark over it so that it cannot be reused.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now while I do like this, I agree that the text needs to be bigger and more legible. Also, the little circular pictures at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clocks are pretty small and kind of hard to see. I think it just clutters the whole piece. You could really do without them. Maybe not as many clocks in the red figure...

It just seems a little cluttered. I like the overall design but there's too much and it sort of overwhelms the eye.

I have my degree in graphic design but could never find my "niche" which is why I've returned to architecture school. Critics are brutal there as well. laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 10:39 AM)
I was bored so I figured Id post this on a design site I go to, so you can get some feedback from some experienced designers.

Most of them feel the same way I did, way too busy, composition isnt great, the most important thing, the band name, is not readable enough, album title too small, too many photoshop filters, bevels, drop shadows, etc.

I can see you didn't mean any harm...the only problem I have is you could have gone about it a different way.

Instead of just posting it without asking the guy at all, maybe you could have sent him a PM of the website and told him he could get better advice there?

I'd be very upset if I returned to this thread and saw that someone had taken my work and put it on another site without even asking me.

He posted it here, this is the internet. The day you start getting pissed about this sort of thing on the internet, you really might want to find another field to get into rather than digital design, where it's going to find it's way around in a hurry.

Ive had my ass kicked in by other designers when I posted my work on the internet, it can get very brutal, and honestly if you get pissed about that and take it personally then you don't stand a chance at getting anywhere near Hugh Syme's level.

As a word of advice to him, if you're going to post your artwork on the internet, do it with a subtle watermark over it so that it cannot be reused.

I didn't say I'd be pissed about the critiques. I'm an artist too, I understand all about critiques, don't worry, you don't have to educate me.

While I agree he should have had a watermark, I still maintain that you could have found a much better way to go about this. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that you did, I just think it could be taken the wrong way.

I didn't really want to start an argument with you, just wanted to point out that some people could take your actions in the wrong way and be offended.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 10:47 AM)

I didn't say I'd be pissed about the critiques. I'm an artist too, I understand all about critiques, don't worry, you don't have to educate me.

While I agree he should have had a watermark, I still maintain that you could have found a much better way to go about this. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that you did, I just think it could be taken the wrong way.

I didn't really want to start an argument with you, just wanted to point out that some people could take your actions in the wrong way and be offended.

Thats fine, I dont know the guy, he can take it however he wants, as long as he gets the message, that the design is too busy, could be better, so now the next time he works on an album cover it will be better after reading the feedback on qbn.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 09:54 AM)

Thats fine, I dont know the guy, he can take it however he wants, as long as he gets the message, that the design is too busy, could be better, so now the next time he works on an album cover it will be better after reading the feedback on qbn.

um, he wasn't working on an album cover. just posting some cool art on a rush fansite. ..not applying for a job.

nice of you to see his need for a lookover from some professional critics and take it upon yourself to do so without even hassling him for permission. you're the man trenkin!!

...wonder why he hasn't been back? lol

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 11 2010, 11:04 AM)

um, he wasn't working on an album cover. just posting some cool art on a rush fansite. ..not applying for a job.

nice of you to see his need for a lookover from some professional critics and take it upon yourself to do so without even hassling him for permission. you're the man trenkin!!

Oh ok, so your idea of helping the guy is for everyone to tell him the artwork is great? Big help to him that is.

Nonoe said he's making an album cover for the band, he created artwork and asked for feedback, so he got it from some experienced designers, almost all of which told him it wasnt good.

Believe me that thread on QBN will go MUCH further in helping him get better than this thread will. Someone did this to me ages ago when I created a dream theater cover, and it was a turning point for me because up until then I thought I was a good designer, when the fact was I was pretty terrible, but I wasnt able to see that.

Besides, the guy said he was a professional designer wanting to get to hugh's level. He isnt some random kid making rush artwork, he wants to do this for real, so this is how you do it, let other designers beat you up. It works, believe me.

One of the guys on QBN said this.

"Whatever, it's all constructive. If the guy can't handle feedback then he's probably not going to get very far as an artist."

Where his work gets posted and who posts it is unimportant. I did the guy a favor, if he doesnt like how I did it well thats fine, thats not the point. He doesnt know me and doesnt have to like me, but he said he wants to become a serious artist, well you get there by people telling you that you suck, and then you push yourself to improve. Didnt you ever see the karate kid?

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 10:12 AM)

Oh ok, so your idea of helping the guy is for everyone to tell him the artwork is great? Big help to him that is.

Nonoe said he's making an album cover for the band, he created artwork and asked for feedback, so he got it from some experienced designers, almost all of which told him it wasnt good.

Believe me that thread on QBN will go MUCH further in helping him get better than this thread will. Someone did this to me ages ago when I created a dream theater cover, and it was a turning point for me because up until then I thought I was a good designer, when the fact was I was pretty terrible, but I wasnt able to see that.

Besides, the guy said he was a professional designer wanting to get to hugh's level. He isnt some random kid making rush artwork, he wants to do this for real, so this is how you do it, let other designers beat you up. It works, believe me.

I doubt he need's trenkin's team of nameless internet critics after doing this for 15 years.

that's not even the point anyway, I'm sure he appreciates all the critisism he gets but he probably likes to make the call. that's all. an artist's work is their personal creation. his decision what happens with it.

or maybe he's like some people and maybe couldn't give two f*cks what any critic thinks? maybe he's all about the fans?? sound like anyone we all know??? lol

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 11 2010, 11:29 AM)

I doubt he need's trenkin's team of nameless internet critics after doing this for 15 years.

that's not even the point anyway, I'm sure he appreciates all the critisism he gets but he probably likes to make the call. that's all. an artist's work is their personal creation. his decision what happens with it.

or maybe he's like some people and maybe couldn't give two f*cks what any critic thinks? maybe he's all about the fans?? sound like anyone we all know??? lol

Great advice, just stay stagnant, do try to improve at something you do for a living. Good idea.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 11:49 AM)

Great advice, just stay stagnant, do try to improve at something you do for a living. Good idea.

The point is, perhaps this is something he just did for fun and wanted to share with a Rush community, he wasn't looking for heavy critiquing. Doesn't mean he views all his work like that.

It's okay, apparently you think it was a much better idea to just take his work and put it on a site without his consent, rather than just sending him the site and letting him do it himself.

To each his own. sarcasm.gif

Okay, I'm sensing a little bit of "pile on trenken" mentality. (No, we aren't suddenly internet BFF's), but he's right.

I dated a graphic designer for several years, and the guy is still a good friend of mine.

It is a CUT-THROAT field. Lots of people vying for comparatively little (well-paying) work, and everything about it is subjective, unlike, say, engineering. You damn well better have a thick skin and be able to take harsh criticism.

I love the artist's work. But I don't know anything at all about graphic design. I can't even use Photoshop. So professionally, my opinion is worthless.

And OP, I know you probably weren't expecting your artwork to spark something like this, but welcome! Please keep us updated on your work and tell us more about your Rush experience.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 11:49 AM)

The point is, perhaps this is something he just did for fun and wanted to share with a Rush community, he wasn't looking for heavy critiquing. Doesn't mean he views all his work like that.

It's okay, apparently you think it was a much better idea to just take his work and put it on a site without his consent, rather than just sending him the site and letting him do it himself.

To each his own. sarcasm.gif

You post your artwork on the internet, it's going to get critiqued. No reason to get all upset about it. If you want to do that, well people are going to do what they will with it. In this case, I tried to help him.

Maybe he wouldnt have signed up on QBN, so I did it for him. I didnt ask for his permission and I didnt need to, he doesnt know me, I dont know him, but what I do know is that when he reads that thread, he'll be a better designer, whether he cares about improving or not.

I like when people do that for me, and if he doesnt like it well thats fine, I did it anyway. I dont post any artwork I create on the internet unless Im looking for it to get ripped apart by people better than me, which is the only reason I would post it, to find out how to make it better.

It doesnt matter to me if he never even reads that thread on QBN, your artwork becomes public domain the instant you post it on the internet, and designers often do this for each other.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 11 2010, 12:02 PM)
Okay, I'm sensing a little bit of "pile on trenken" mentality. (No, we aren't suddenly internet BFF's), but he's right.

I dated a graphic designer for several years, and the guy is still a good friend of mine.
It is a CUT-THROAT field. Lots of people vying for comparatively little (well-paying) work, and everything about it is subjective, unlike, say, engineering. You damn well better have a thick skin and be able to take harsh criticism.

I love the artist's work. But I don't know anything at all about graphic design. I can't even use Photoshop. So professionally, my opinion is worthless.

And OP, I know you probably weren't expecting your artwork to spark something like this, but welcome! Please keep us updated on your work and tell us more about your Rush experience.

Dont worry about the piling on me bit, Mara. Im not going to cry if someone jumps on my case about something. Designer to designer, I was trying to help the guy. Maybe he doesnt want to be helped, maybe he will get angry that I posted it on QBN, who knows. Personally I cant relate to that, help is help, you take it any way you can get it.

So if they want to jump on me, dont worry about it. Im certainly not. Im here to help the guy, dont care what anyone else thinks about that.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 11 2010, 10:06 AM)
Okay, I'm sensing a little bit of "pile on trenken" mentality.  (No, we aren't suddenly internet BFF's), but he's right.

It is a CUT-THROAT field.  Lots of people vying for comparatively little (well-paying) work, and everything about it is subjective, unlike, say, engineering.  You damn well better have a thick skin and be able to take harsh criticism. 

I love the artist's work.  But I don't know anything at all about graphic design.  I can't even use Photoshop.  So professionally, my opinion is worthless. 

And OP, I know you probably weren't expecting your artwork to spark something like this, but welcome!  Please keep us updated on your work and tell us more about your Rush experience.

Dont worry about the piling on me bit, Mara. Im not going to cry if someone jumps on my case about something. Designer to designer, I was trying to help the guy. Maybe he doesnt want to be helped, maybe he will get angry that I posted it on QBN, who knows. Personally I cant relate to that, help is help, you take it any way you can get it.

So if they want to jump on me, dont worry about it. Im certainly not. Im here to help the guy, dont care what anyone else thinks about that.

Trenken, the only problem is you beat it to death, and then beat it some more. wait... that didn't come out right.

What I'm trying to say is give your opinion and move on, because again you have managed to make this thread about you.

I have no problems with trenken. I actually AGREED with a lot of things he said about Caravan. He just happens to be seriously misinformed about the copyright laws on the internet.

He seems to believe that everything posted on the internet is public domain. This is simply not the case.

"What Sort of Things are Copyrighted?

The easy answer to this question is that just about any creative work you might find should be considered to be copyrighted by default.

A work is not required to have a copyright statement printed on it or near it in order to be considered copyrighted so do not assume that the work is unprotected simply because you cannot see a notice written anywhere.

Also do not confuse the fact that a work is publicly available with the idea that it is public domain or free for use. Being easy to find on the internet does not affect a work's copyrighted status."

http://about.deviantart.com/policy/copyright/

Anyway, I'm done here. I've made my point.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 11 2010, 12:48 PM)
Okay, I'm sensing a little bit of "pile on trenken" mentality.  (No, we aren't suddenly internet BFF's), but he's right.

It is a CUT-THROAT field.  Lots of people vying for comparatively little (well-paying) work, and everything about it is subjective, unlike, say, engineering.  You damn well better have a thick skin and be able to take harsh criticism. 

I love the artist's work.  But I don't know anything at all about graphic design.  I can't even use Photoshop.  So professionally, my opinion is worthless. 

And OP, I know you probably weren't expecting your artwork to spark something like this, but welcome!  Please keep us updated on your work and tell us more about your Rush experience.

I have no problems with trenken. I actually AGREED with a lot of things he said about Caravan. He just happens to be seriously misinformed about the copyright laws on the internet.

He seems to believe that everything posted on the internet is public domain. This is simply not the case.

"What Sort of Things are Copyrighted?

The easy answer to this question is that just about any creative work you might find should be considered to be copyrighted by default.

A work is not required to have a copyright statement printed on it or near it in order to be considered copyrighted so do not assume that the work is unprotected simply because you cannot see a notice written anywhere.

Also do not confuse the fact that a work is publicly available with the idea that it is public domain or free for use. Being easy to find on the internet does not affect a work's copyrighted status."

http://about.deviantart.com/policy/copyright/

Anyway, I'm done here. I've made my point.

I didnt try to steal and resell his work. What I mean by public domain is if you post pictures on the internet, they are allowed to be reposted. You can take any image on the internet and post it here if you want, there is nothing anyone can do to you. These are just message boards, I didnt post it on some site with a shopping cart where you can buy it, that you cannot do.

QUOTE (vitamins @ Jun 11 2010, 12:04 PM)
I think a bigger question to ask here is why do you guys still listen to RUSH?

welcome vitamins,clearly a man of few words wink.gif

What bothers me is that clients think they are supposed to be given an original photoshop or illustrator file when paying for services rendered.

NO NO NO. You are NOT entitled to the original documents.

Archived