Was Keith Moon a good drummer?

Lorraine

I can understand keyboards, but I can't hear how the bass backs up the drummer. Sometimes I can, but most times I can't.

The bass and drums are the foundation for the song providing the timing, groove and rhythm. Think of a song like "Another One Bites the Dust" and how the bass and drums interlock. As for the Who, I think "The Real Me" is a good example of how Entwistle and Moon accomplished providing a foundation.

Yes- the bass and the drums together are what are referred to as the 'rhythm section'. They work in tandem unlike any other two instruments in a band.

Next we'll discuss oxygen, and why it's essential.
  • Like 2

John Paul Jones & John Bonham were such a perfect match, they both played just behind the beat and that's why Zep could feel so heavy and swung so HARD.

Listen to "The Lemon Song"...rhythm section gone wild.

Any excuse to listen to Led Zep is good enough for me. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 2

Great thread. It is sad how Keith declined. His lifestyle was kind of like his drumming. Wild and uninhibited. I was actually at his last concert before he died, at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.
  • Like 1

Great thread. It is sad how Keith declined. His lifestyle was kind of like his drumming. Wild and uninhibited. I was actually at his last concert before he died, at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

That's something!

How was he when you saw him?

Edited by Lorraine

Longtime friend and personal assistant Butler observed, "He was trying to make people laugh and be Mr Funny, he wanted people to love him and enjoy him, but he would go so far. Like a train ride you couldn't stop."
Edited by Lorraine

Moon's lifestyle began to undermine his health and reliability. During the 1973 Quadrophenia tour, at the Who's debut US date at the Cow Palace in Daly City, California, Moon ingested a mixture of tranquillisers and brandy. During the concert, Moon passed out on his drum kit during "Won't Get Fooled Again." The band stopped playing, and a group of roadies carried Moon offstage. They gave him a shower and an injection of cortisone, sending him back onstage after a thirty-minute delay. Moon passed out again during "Magic Bus," and was again removed from the stage. The band continued without him for several songs before Townshend asked, "Can anyone play the drums? – I mean somebody good?" A drummer in the audience, Scot Halpin, came up and played the rest of the show.
  • Like 1

During the opening date of the band's March 1976 US tour at the Boston Garden, Moon passed out over his drum kit after two numbers and the show was rescheduled. The next evening Moon systematically destroyed everything in his hotel room, cut himself doing so and passed out. He was discovered by manager Bill Curbishley, who took him to a hospital, telling him "I'm gonna get the doctor to get you nice and fit, so you're back within two days. Because I want to break your f***ing jaw ... You have f***ed this band around so many times and I'm not having it any more." Doctors told Curbishley that if he had not intervened, Moon would have bled to death. Marsh suggested that at this point Daltrey and Entwistle seriously considered firing Moon, but decided that doing so would make his life worse.

During the band's recording sabbatical from 1975 to 1978, Moon gained a considerable amount of weight. Entwistle has said that Moon and the Who reached their live peak in 1975–76. At the end of the 1976 US tour in Miami that August, the drummer, delirious, was treated in Hollywood Memorial Hospital for eight days. The group was concerned that he would be unable to complete the last leg of the tour, which ended at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto on 21 October (Moon's last public show).[100] By the time of the Who's invitation-only show at the Kilburn Gaumont in December 1977 for The Kids are Alright, Moon was visibly overweight and had difficulty sustaining a solid performance. After recording Who Are You, Townshend refused to follow the album with a tour until Moon stopped drinking, and said that if Moon's playing did not improve he would be fired. Daltrey later denied threatening to fire him, but said that by this time the drummer was out of control.

Heres some opinions on his drumming:

Moon's drumming has been praised by critics. Author Nick Talevski described him as "the greatest drummer in rock," adding that "he was to the drums what Jimi Hendrix was to the guitar." Holly George-Warren, editor and author of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The First 25 Years, said: "With the death of Keith Moon in 1978, rock arguably lost its single greatest drummer." According to Eder, "Moon, with his manic, lunatic side, and his life of excessive drinking, partying, and other indulgences, probably represented the youthful, zany side of rock & roll, as well as its self-destructive side, better than anyone else on the planet." The New Book of Rock Lists ranked Moon No. 1 on its list of "50 Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Drummers," and he was ranked No. 2 on the 2011 Rolling Stone "Best Drummers of All Time" readers' poll. Adam Budofsky, editor of Drummer magazine, said that Moon's performances on Who's Next and Quadrophenia "represent a perfect balance of technique and passion" and "there's been no drummer who's touched his unique slant on rock and rhythm since."

Moon's drumming has been praised by critics. Author Nick Talevski described him as "the greatest drummer in rock," adding that "he was to the drums what Jimi Hendrix was to the guitar." Holly George-Warren, editor and author of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The First 25 Years, said: "With the death of Keith Moon in 1978, rock arguably lost its single greatest drummer." According to Eder, "Moon, with his manic, lunatic side, and his life of excessive drinking, partying, and other indulgences, probably represented the youthful, zany side of rock & roll, as well as its self-destructive side, better than anyone else on the planet." The New Book of Rock Lists ranked Moon No. 1 on its list of "50 Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Drummers," and he was ranked No. 2 on the 2011 Rolling Stone "Best Drummers of All Time" readers' poll. Adam Budofsky, editor of Drummer magazine, said that Moon's performances on Who's Next and Quadrophenia "represent a perfect balance of technique and passion" and "there's been no drummer who's touched his unique slant on rock and rhythm since."

Holly George-Warren, editor and author of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The First 25 Years, said: "With the death of Keith Moon in 1978, rock arguably lost its single greatest drummer." According to Eder, "Moon, with his manic, lunatic side, and his life of excessive drinking, partying, and other indulgences, probably represented the youthful, zany side of rock & roll, as well as its self-destructive side, better than anyone else on the planet." Notice she didn't really mention anything about his drumming ability?

Adam Budofsky, editor of Drummer magazine, said that Moon's performances on Who's Next and Quadrophenia "represent a perfect balance of technique and passion" and "there's been no drummer who's touched his unique slant on rock and rhythm since.orts were His studio efforts were indeed something to behold. Those albums just reek of greatness.

Live, the guy had major problems--most of the time

OMG!!!! YOU MADE MY NIGHT!!! YEP!! CAPS ON!!!!!

Dude, I absolutely LOVE WASP!

I love the cover of "The Real Me!"

I saw WASP open for KISS on the "Asylum" Tour! They were below average that night sadly. All Blackie did was talk about a bunch of bullshit and throw posters into the crowd! Lots of blood though!! Gene Simmons 2.0

So speaking of which, I am soooooooo glad I saw Eric Carr. His solo was fuckingg great. So obviously in 1984 Neil had his brand new 360 kit in red. Well Eric had a beautiful red kit too on that tour. His Simmons pads were installed around his kit.

Anyway, it was a great memory.

I remember Paul going off that night complaining that the Cow Palace was half empty, but he said "who gives a shit, you guys are awesome for coming out!!!"

I loved it.

Hope Lucas reads this post.

• Like 2

That's something!

He seemed fine from what I can remember, but then I would have to ask the question "How was I that night?" :D

I remember that he was in a one piece white outfit - looked like a flight suit or something and I believe he even had a big motorcycle-like helmet on for part of the show. At the end he actually leaped over his set and took the mike at the front of the stage to talk to the crowd

• Like 1

That's something!

He seemed fine from what I can remember, but then I would have to ask the question "How was I that night?" :D

I remember that he was in a one piece white outfit - looked like a flight suit or something and I believe he even had a big motorcycle-like helmet on for part of the show. At the end he actually leaped over his set and took the mike at the front of the stage to talk to the crowd

I really feel sorry for the man. He was a tormented soul in a constant state of anguish. It's a pity that there wasn't anyone that could help him.

• Like 1

Holly George-Warren, editor and author of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The First 25 Years, said: "With the death of Keith Moon in 1978, rock arguably lost its single greatest drummer." According to Eder, "Moon, with his manic, lunatic side, and his life of excessive drinking, partying, and other indulgences, probably represented the youthful, zany side of rock & roll, as well as its self-destructive side, better than anyone else on the planet." Notice she didn't really mention anything about his drumming ability?

Adam Budofsky, editor of Drummer magazine, said that Moon's performances on Who's Next and Quadrophenia "represent a perfect balance of technique and passion" and "there's been no drummer who's touched his unique slant on rock and rhythm since.orts were His studio efforts were indeed something to behold. Those albums just reek of greatness.

Do you have any concert recordings of the Who when Keith Moon was alive?

Do you have any concert recordings of the Who when Keith Moon was alive?

I've got you tube