Was Keith Moon a good drummer?

Lorraine

Can you imagine Keith Moon hanging out with Neil today if he was still around? Peart would shit his pants and desperately try to get away from him like Tommy trying to get away from Uncle Ernie! :LOL:

HAHAHA!

I thought you were going to use a Muppet Metaphor with Neil Bert And Ernie! LOL!!!!!

• Like 1

Can you imagine Keith Moon hanging out with Neil today if he was still around? Peart would shit his pants and desperately try to get away from him like Tommy trying to get away from Uncle Ernie! :LOL:

HAHAHA!

I thought you were going to use a Muppet Metaphor with Neil Bert And Ernie! LOL!!!!!

Peart would be frightened to death of ANIMAL as well! Animal AND Moon = Peart cardiac arrest.

• Like 1

HAHAHA!

Peart would be frightened to death of ANIMAL as well! Animal AND Moon = Peart cardiac arrest.

Didn't Taylor Hawkins forcibly hug Neil after the Foos dressed up as 70s Rush to play Overture at Rush's RRHoF induction? I can't imagine that was very comfortable for him either, lol.

HAHAHA!

Didn't Taylor Hawkins forcibly hug Neil after the Foos dressed up as 70s Rush to play Overture at Rush's RRHoF induction? I can't imagine that was very comfortable for him either, lol.

To be honest I'm not sure who Taylor Hawkins is, it's not the girl pop singer is it?

HAHAHA!

Like Jake and Elwood Peart? Neil would be singing the blues baby! Neil is scared of his own shadow.

He is the Peter Pan of drumming.

• Like 1

HAHAHA!

To be honest I'm not sure who Taylor Hawkins is, it's not the girl pop singer is it?

Taylor Hawkins is a beautiful blonde boy. He is the Taylor Swift of drumming. All looks, no chops.

HAHAHA!

Like Jake and Elwood Peart? Neil would be singing the blues baby! Neil is scared of his own shadow.

He is the Peter Pan of drumming.

More like the Peter Lorre of drumming!

HAHAHA!

Taylor Hawkins is a beautiful blonde boy. He is the Taylor Swift of drumming. All looks, no chops.

I knew it was one bird or another.

HAHAHA!

More like Big Bird!!

I mean BIG NERD!

HAHAHA!

More like Big Bird!!

I mean BIG NERD!

BOTH!

• Like 1

HAHAHA!

More like Big Bird!!

I mean BIG NERD!

BOTH!

EXACTLY!!!!

I think the fact that Townsend and Daltrey have never really been able to replace hims speaks volumes. Talking with drummers, they have told me had a real unorthadox approach to his playing...off the cuff, wild..tough to duplicate. I personally prefer guys like Peart, Bruford etc..but still love and completley understand Moons influence. He was truly unique. His crazy personality just came out in his playing so strongly. Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

Another reason why I asked this question is because when I was listening to Quadrophenia, I noticed that he seemed to be a "single minded" drummer. By that I mean it sounded to me like Neil was/is able to do more things on the drums at once than Keith did. If this isn't correct, what am I not hearing?

What I do love about Keith's drumming is the fierceness and the loudness. Neil is too controlled and disciplined for me.

• Like 1

Another reason why I asked this question is because when I was listening to Quadrophenia, I noticed that he seemed to be a "single minded" drummer. By that I mean it sounded to me like Neil was/is able to do more things on the drums at once than Keith did. If this isn't correct, what am I not hearing?

What I do love about Keith's drumming is the fierceness and the loudness. Neil is too controlled and disciplined for me.

I think that control and discipline in Neil is a matter of just absolute precision. I don't think Neil would ever want to play as wildly and as all-over-the-place as Keith Moon. It's interesting to me that Moonie was such an influence on Neil, because their playing styles are so different.

Neil's approach has always seemed to be very measured and, of course, technically precise- whereas Moon was just all over the place.

It may be the reason that it seems Neil can do more things all at once is because that's what he wants us to be able to hear- every beat, every trill of the hi-hat, every individual beat in a roll. Moon was also taking on a ride through his mind- the signals from his brain, his intent, that translated into every flick of his wrist, and pounding with his arms. They both just come out sounding much different.

And no, I can't possibly be any less pedantic or verbose than that. That was as succinctly as I could answer the question. :P

• Like 2

Then what i hear is right. He can't do what Neil does. He probably couldn't have if he wanted to because he had no discipline. It sounds to me like Neil can do a few different beats at the same time whereas Keith just pounded away with some hi-hats. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Then what i hear is right. He can't do what Neil does. He probably couldn't have if he wanted to because he had no discipline. It sounds to me like Neil can do a few different beats at the same time whereas Keith just pounded away with some hi-hats.

This is a testament to how a musician's personality translate into his or her's style. Neil Peart is cerebral and Keith Moon is emotional.

• Like 4

Then what i hear is right. He can't do what Neil does. He probably couldn't have if he wanted to because he had no discipline. It sounds to me like Neil can do a few different beats at the same time whereas Keith just pounded away with some hi-hats.

This is a testament to how a musician's personality translate into his or her's style. Neil Peart is cerebral and Keith Moon is emotional.

Does it? I'm seriously asking the question because I wouldn't know. If you have an erratic personality, you couldn't become a disciplined musician?

Watched some Tommy tour footage today. Propulsive.

The 1969 Amsterdam audio boot is magnificent. He's so dynamic and exciting.

Hatch, do you happen to know of a good sounding boot from the Quadrophenia tour? ReGor and I are on the lookout for one.

Edited by Lorraine

Does it? I'm seriously asking the question because I wouldn't know. If you have an erratic personality, you couldn't become a disciplined musician?

In Keith Moon's case I think it's being in the right band at the right time. I don't think Keith Moon would've reached his potential without his Who band mates. And time proved Keith was losing his discipline and being in the Who didn't help anymore.

• Like 1

Hatch, do you happen to know of a good sounding boot from the Quadrophenia tour? ReGor and I am on the lookout for one.

The Who Spectrum 1973

Hatch, do you happen to know of a good sounding boot from the Quadrophenia tour? ReGor and I am on the lookout for one.

The Who Spectrum 1973

Thank you!

The Who Spectrum 1973

Thank you!

You can preview it on youtube.