What's Your Drink of Choice?

Mr. Not

Back when I was a drinker my drink of choice was vodka, usually Skyy, as that was before all the high end vodkas were prevalent. A glass of vodka on the rocks with a splash of Rose's lime juice was my go-to.

I stopped drinking that way/that much over a decade ago. Now my drinking is limited to a glass or two of red wine or beer, depending on my mood.

Earlier in the thread, you said you liked porters. I'm sure you've have a few of these then.

porter_six_pack_glass_531.jpg

• Like 1

Back when I was a drinker my drink of choice was vodka, usually Skyy, as that was before all the high end vodkas were prevalent. A glass of vodka on the rocks with a splash of Rose's lime juice was my go-to.

I stopped drinking that way/that much over a decade ago. Now my drinking is limited to a glass or two of red wine or beer, depending on my mood.

Earlier in the thread, you said you liked porters. I'm sure you've have a few of these then.

I'm taking a beer, wine, and spirits class for fun cause it's my final semester of college, and we had that last week! That porter is beergasmic. Sweet and chocolatey. I want another one.

• Like 2

I'm taking a beer, wine, and spirits class for fun cause it's my final semester of college, and we had that last week! That porter is beergasmic. Sweet and chocolatey. I want another one.

Make sure you try Anchor Steam too. It's a delicious lager. :)

The Anchor Brewing Company was rescued by Fritz Maytag, and they were one of the first "Micro brewers" to start the craze back in the 1990.

• Like 1

The Anchor Brewing Company was rescued by Fritz Maytag, and they were one of the first "Micro brewers" to start the craze back in the 1990.

I just drove past the Anchor Brewery a day or so ago :)

I actually have never tasted this porter though! Thanks for mentioning it's a sweeter beer. I'm not a fan of their Steam beer because it's too bitter for me; I don't like bitter or hoppy beers. Now I need to try an Anchor Porter!

I just drove past the Anchor Brewery a day or so ago :)

I actually have never tasted this porter though! Thanks for mentioning it's a sweeter beer. I'm not a fan of their Steam beer because it's too bitter for me; I don't like bitter or hoppy beers. Now I need to try an Anchor Porter!

It's still a little bitter, but it's not like IPA bitter. It's got a really nice sweetness on top of it, like you're drinking syrup almost. I really enjoyed it.

I took a backpacking class for fun this semester, since it's also my final semester. Gotta have a little bit of fun on the way out!

A quick control-f determined my local liquor store has this Anchor Porter in question for $2.09 (the Utah tax is strong). I'll probably pick it up for a try.

Beer - It's still Guinness.

Mixed drinks - either a gin and tonic or a White Russian.

I still can't "get" Guinness. One day.

There's nothing to "get".

Guinness is like chocolate cake with chocolate frosting topped with chocolate sprinkles. Yeah, it's tasty and good but I usually don't want it.

• Like 1

Guinness is like chocolate cake with chocolate frosting topped with chocolate sprinkles. Yeah, it's tasty and good but I usually don't want it.

When I say that, I mean that both bottled and canned, I didn't enjoy it.

There's nothing "cool" about it, so I'll just stick with the tasty creations of local breweries

There's nothing "cool" about it, so I'll just stick with the tasty creations of local breweries

Ahhhhh....

Oh, and Ty Ku's Rumnai Sake for me

Never heard of rumnai sake before

Jumnai... Or Junmai?

I usually just call it "Grey Bottle Sake"

http://www.tykusake.com/images/bottles/TY_KU_Sake_Silver_bottle_large.png

Ty Ku is an American company. I've never had that. How does it compare with sake made by a Japanese company?

Oh, and Ty Ku's Rumnai Sake for me

Never heard of rumnai sake before

Jumnai... Or Junmai?

I usually just call it "Grey Bottle Sake"

http://www.tykusake.com/images/bottles/TY_KU_Sake_Silver_bottle_large.png

Ty Ku is an American company. I've never had that. How does it compare with sake made by a Japanese company?

Only other Junmai sake I've had is Takara's sho chiku bai, and I actually prefer that kind now. I think the price difference influenced me at first into thinking the Ty Ku was better, as it's about 2.5 times the price of the sho chiku bai. Can't really articulate well why I prefer it other than saying that the Ty Ku is less liquid, and too strong of a sweetness compared to the sho chiku. So I usually stick with the sho chiku unless I decide to spoil myself with nigori or ginjo sake

Guinness sucks out of a bottle or can. You've got to get it on tap. You can also try a Black and Tan. That's how I acquired the taste for Guinness.

Vitamin Water and V8! Living that under 21 life :)

Under 21? That never stopped me. :fury:

Oh I hear ya, not really a fan of alcohol anyway lol, probably for the best, Diabetes and Alcohol don't go great together, my vice is bud, lol!

Vitamin Water and V8! Living that under 21 life :)

Under 21? That never stopped me. :fury:

I started at 19. I waited a whole year later than my mom did in her day! I've considered telling my future kid they should make it to 20.

Guinness sucks out of a bottle or can. You've got to get it on tap. You can also try a Black and Tan. That's how I acquired the taste for Guinness.

Might as well. Unfortunately, many of my favorite local brews are not legally available on draft. No draft beer over 4%, because Utah.

Might as well. Unfortunately, many of my favorite local brews are not legally available on draft. No draft beer over 4%, because Utah.

That's nuts.

A lot of the beer I had on a trip to China was like 2-3%. Now I don't drink beer (or anything else) just to get f***ed up [i'm not 21 anymore]. I drink something for the taste or for the experiment. But 2-3% might as well be water. We pounded those Chinese beers bottle after bottle mainly because the area was going through a heat wave at the time. Not bad tasting but it was like drinking light amber colored water.

That's nuts.

A lot of the beer I had on a trip to China was like 2-3%. Now I don't drink beer (or anything else) just to get f***ed up [i'm not 21 anymore]. I drink something for the taste or for the experiment. But 2-3% might as well be water. We pounded those Chinese beers bottle after bottle mainly because the area was going through a heat wave at the time. Not bad tasting but it was like drinking light amber colored water.

I don't drink 9% to "get f***ed up", but there's something nice about savoring it, and feeling great after two bottles, and not having race-horse like pisses after 72oz of the light stuff.

• Like 1

I have to be careful when the proof passes 80. Becomes really easy to get terminally dehydrated and sick if you're just trying to be captain liquor

( March 2015 :scared: )

Gin and tonic. If you've tried gin and didn't like it there is a good chance it was the gin, not you. My favorite is Hendricks. Second is Bombay sapphire. Not a fan of most others.

Very true. I like Tanqueray, but I'm not crazy about Hendricks or Bombay. I think those are dryer. And cheap gin is atrocious.