The Real Reason this is the Last Major Tour This is not a joke

madrushian

When I was driving home from the concert I was listening to Kshe 95 The local Rock station that supports rush in St. Louis. The DJ Stated that Neil has tendonitis (inflamed tendons in the hands or Wrist. Think of it as Carpal Tunnel.)

I am not sure if anyone knew it so sorry if you knew about this, It was a surprise to me but, after over 40 years of drumming. It makes sense.

I think his main problems are his elbows and shoulders but yeah, it's not a fun thing to try to live with.

It is easy to take for granted the fact that superhuman musicians in reality have only human bodies ... and with successful musicians, the stress on the body comes not only from playing the instrument, but also from decades of sleeping in less-than-perfect buses and hotel beds, eating whatever crap food is available, dealing with the emotional upheaval of getting on a stage in front of thousands of people, smoke, diesel fuel, oh, and did I mention diner food ??

I can only imagine the toll on one's body from all the travel, and stress - literally 40 years of touring ..

I mean, what break has Neil had ? ... when his wife and child died ?? - I would hardly call that a time to relax

RUSH has earned this ... an amazing band, the likes we might never see again

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 5

Think of it as Carpal Tunnel.

Carpal tunnel syndrome involves the median nerve in the carpal canal, which connects the forearm to the palm.

Tendinitus (inflammation) and tendinosis (cellular damage) can occur in many parts of the body - arms, legs.....wherever tendons are located.

I don't get why Neil won't get surgery if it's truly carpal tunnel. Tendonitis, I can understand surgery usually does more harm than good, but carpal tunnel is a relatively common procedure.

I don't get why Neil won't get surgery if it's truly carpal tunnel. Tendonitis, I can understand surgery usually does more harm than good, but carpal tunnel is a relatively common procedure.

I have had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand but have had so many other arthritic issues with it I honestly haven't a clue what difference it made for me. I doubt much. As far as the tendonitis goes he is screwed and there is nothing that is going to change that unfortunately. He may be able to gut his way through a show or 50 but what they have been doing they will never be able to do again. This is bad enough and with Alex's problems with what I understand is psoriatic arthritis, he is screwed too. My dad has had that since I can remember and it ain't fun. He does need his hands and fingers fully functional to do what he does I am pretty sure. I would like to see Alex take care of himself a bit more and get into better shape but its not going to help his hands and fingers... :(
  • Like 2

Neil's ailments are no real news TBH.

He's mentioned dealing/living with these things in the past... he just never made a big deal out of them.

Something else is up.....

/puts on my tin-foil RUSH hat

• Like 1

I got tendonitis in my knee when I was a teenager, and I can tell you it's never been the same.

It's not painful very often, but when it is, it's really bad. And hey, I'm only 42, not 62. I'm sure it'll just get better and better.

I should put this in the infirmary thread!

RUSH has earned this ... an amazing band, the likes of which we WILL never see again

Fixed it for you :)

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 2

Something I recently read (maybe it was in one of his blog posts?- could've been the LeStudio one) wherein he explained in detail the toll drumming has taken on him and all he has to do to drum.

It was already said that he was in pain from the beginning until the end of the CA tour.

This isn't us punks sitting around playing a few songs with our buddies over beers, this is a tour, practicing and more practicing, then playing three hours per night, every other night. Oh, at age 61+, forgot about the old mother effer part :) I wanted to slap a few people for whining about Alex and Neil missing a few notes here and there and not being "on top of their game" 60 years old, limbs and phalanges just not as nimble and strong as they were even five years ago.

No one is "whining" about Al missing notes. When I mentioned what I had heard (I'm getting good at this nonspoiler stuff :)), the only reason I mentioned it is because it is not like Al to do that and was more of a concern that something is wrong rather than a complaint that he actually made a "mistake".

As for age and what happens to someone when they get older, you don't have to tell me. I'll be 61 in about six weeks.

• Like 1

No one is "whining" about Al missing notes. When I mentioned what I had heard (I'm getting good at this nonspoiler stuff :)), the only reason I mentioned it is because it is not like Al to do that and was more of a concern that something is wrong rather than a complaint that he actually made a "mistake".

As for age and what happens to someone when they get older, you don't have to tell me. I'll be 61 in about six weeks.

Yes exactly. People aren't complaining about the missed notes, they're concerned why he's doing it. I can only speak for myself but it makes me wonder if he's in pain. I haven't been able to see anything close up but I remember someone saying that he wasn't acting his normal self at the concert.

• Like 2

Threads like this have me concerned, not greatly but concerned aboot the end of the tour. Who knows do make it to August 1st?

Yes exactly. People aren't complaining about the missed notes, they're concerned why he's doing it. I can only speak for myself but it makes me wonder if he's in pain. I haven't been able to see anything close up but I remember someone saying that he wasn't acting his normal self at the concert.

He has arthritis in both hands. Most long term guitarists do. :/

You're right but psoriatic arthritis is a systemic disease that affects all of the joints in your body.

You're right but psoriatic arthritis is a systemic disease that affects all of the joints in your body.

Indeed.

No doubt all three Canucks have 40+ years' worth of road wear and tear.

Indeed.

No doubt all three Canucks have 40+ years' worth of road wear and tear.

Yes on top of all that.

The live thread from the last show there was a ton of Alex Alex Alex going on. Really?? I just think people expect too much from live shows sometimes and also forget the age factor involved. It also wasn't aimed at you at all.

• Like 1

Go read the last thread from the show, people weren't concerned about his health, it was his flubs, mistakes, screw ups. Nothing about his health at all.

It kinda pissed me off a bit

I don't know if it shows or not :)

Go read the last thread from the show, people weren't concerned about his health, it was his flubs, mistakes, screw ups. Nothing about his health at all.

I was one of the ones doing it but it was not in a negative way. Sorry you were pissed off but it was so surprising I had to comment. I've never seen a show where he's made so many obvious mistakes. I hate to see that and it makes me wonder if he's okay.

• Like 1

I was one of the ones doing it but it was not in a negative way. Sorry you were pissed off but it was so surprising I had to comment. I've never seen a show where he's made so many obvious mistakes. I hate to see that and it makes me wonder if he's okay.

I don't think he's been OK for almost a decade, which is why I think they started doing the Polka intro to La Villa

I don't think he's been OK for almost a decade, which is why I think they started doing the Polka intro to La Villa

Yes he said as much in that last interview he did with Redman.