The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I am of the opinion that an album being polarizing is a great thing. What is damning is when an album is "meh". The fact that there is no discussion about it means that it's pretty much agreed that it's... alright, or mediocre, or kinda bad. But nobody's living for it. Nobody's replaying it every day.
  • Like 4

I am of the opinion that an album being polarizing is a great thing. What is damning is when an album is "meh". The fact that there is no discussion about it means that it's pretty much agreed that it's... alright, or mediocre, or kinda bad. But nobody's living for it. Nobody's replaying it every day.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

Meh

13. The Astonishing

12. Systematic Chaos

Good

11. When Dream And Day Unite

10. Train of Thought

09. Falling Into Infinity

Great

08. Black Clouds & Silver Linings

05. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

05. Octavarium

05. Dream Theater

04. Awake

03. Dramatic Turn of Events

Astonishing

02. Images & Words

01. Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly.

I haven't heard The Astonishing at all, so I can't comment specifically. But I listened to Scenes from a Memory (actually bought it, up-front)...and they're talented and all, I can give them that. But it's definitely just...not. My. Thing.

Funny thing, though- I really like Haken, for example.

My thoughts exactly.

I haven't heard The Astonishing at all, so I can't comment specifically. But I listened to Scenes from a Memory (actually bought it, up-front)...and they're talented and all, I can give them that. But it's definitely just...not. My. Thing.

Halen are better. Mountain and the new album are actually, wait for it "Astonishing".

I have yet to hear the rest of their work though.

Dream Theater are talented hacks.

I like them but the initial love is over.

Haken is somehow much more organic sounding than Dream Theater.

They're often compared to them, but just as often there will be an individual song by them which will be a direct throwback to Gentle Giant or King Crimson

• Like 1

They're often compared to them, but just as often there will be an individual song by them which will be a direct throwback to Gentle Giant or King Crimson

Speaking of throwback- I also like Astra quite a bit. Probably even more than Haken.

This.

You put it better than me.

My thoughts exactly.

Halen are better. Mountain and the new album are actually, wait for it "Astonishing".

Harsh, lol. but Haken sounds similar in spots but i think their more in line with classic prog then prog metal. so it's not a fair comparison.

i hear like yes....Genesis.......Gentle giant all over Haken.

Mick

Thank you people for re-awakening my love for Haken.

Classic prog at it's finest.

I wouldn't bunch them in with DT At all.......funny bands to compare.

Mick

Remember that next time you bring up Meatloaf in a Nightwish conversation.

;)

• Like 1

Mick

That's because Haken is more satisfying, by miles. ;)

:outtahere:

• Like 1

Mick

Both are prog influenced. Moth have metallic aspects.

If we can compare Yes and Rush, or (for goodness sake this gets ridiculous) Meatloaf and Nightwish, then Haken and Dream Theater are worthy to compare as well.

One is brutally overrated but very accessible and the other are just hugely satisfying on every level.

Seriously, I found DT were for a while addictive like sweets but after the sugar rush I craved something substantial.

Mick

;)

yea that one makes sense cause you can here it if your not a stubborn poopy head :P

Mick

Mick

;)

yea that one makes sense cause you can here it if your not a stubborn poopy head :P

Mick

I am not stubborn they really don't belong together.

Mick

I strongly Agree. shockingly, lol

Mick

Mick

;)

Mick

i'm kidding bud...........and uh......they do, lol

Mick

Mick

;)

Mick

Mick

Then Haken and DT should make more sense to you then as side by side comparisons.

And Meatloaf suck. Hard.

And I wouldn't deny the influence if I heard it, but you just put them together for the most generic reasons.

Any band with operatic grandeur or orchestral elements somehow must have listened to nothing else but the inventor of the sound, Meatloaf.

Er...no.

My thoughts exactly.

Talented hacks? How so?

• Like 1

Mick

;)

Mick

Mick

Then Haken and DT should make more sense to you then as side by side comparisons.

And Meatloaf suck. Hard.

And I wouldn't deny the influence if I heard it, but you just put them together for the most generic reasons.

Any band with operatic grandeur or orchestral elements somehow must have listened to nothing else but the inventor of the sound, Meatloaf.

Er...no.

touchy today.

man.

Mick

My thoughts exactly.

Talented hacks? How so?

I shared my views on this before and already abandoned one thread because of it.

Mick

;)

Mick

Mick

And Meatloaf suck. Hard.

Er...no.

touchy today.

man.

Mick

*flips table*

I am for some reason...

No idea why!

My thoughts exactly.

Talented hacks? How so?

I shared my views on this before and already abandoned one thread because of it.

So, I'm just supposed to go searching around for what you said before? Ok, then.

My thoughts exactly.

Talented hacks? How so?

So, I'm just supposed to go searching around for what you said before? Ok, then.

I'd post my reasons.

But for the sake of avoiding the trouble I had last time...I shall refrain from bringing it up again.

Plus I am in such a mood I am turning already grey thoughts black so I might check out the forum today and go do something productive and come back smiling.

My thoughts exactly.

Talented hacks? How so?

I'd post my reasons.

But for the sake of avoiding the trouble I had last time...I shall refrain from bringing it up again.

Plus I am in such a mood I am turning already grey thoughts black so I might check out the forum today and go do something productive and come back smiling.

Is the sun shining today, Segue? (I don't mean that in a sarcastically figurative sense- but literally).

• Like 1