Steely Dan

Lorraine

Crazy his solo stuff has more feel than the last Dan album.

i don't why the last two dan records were so.......mechanical. he obviously still has it. this record blew me the hell away.

as was my fav release of 2012, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Crazy his solo stuff has more feel than the last Dan album.

i don't why the last two dan records were so.......mechanical. he obviously still has it. this record blew me the hell away.

as was my fav release of 2012, lol

Mick

Mechanical is a good word.

• Like 1

For those who have not heard it I implore you to try Donald Fagen's last solo effort Sunken Condos. It's FANTASTIC.

Mick

Thanks for that. I love The Nighfly and another of his solos whose title I forget but hadn't heard of this one.

I watched a VH1 special about them where they were wandering around New York reminiscing about this and that. They are definitely nerds and you wouldn't pick them out of a crowd as first rate musicians

• Like 2

Gary Katz made me laugh. If you didn't know he was who he is, you'd think he was some factory worker who never finished high school.

This makes me feel so bad though - losing Walter Becker.

I'll never listen to Aja again without seeing Fagan at the piano in my mind.

Edited by Lorraine

I watched almost all of The Making of Aja. Never realized they were such perfectionists.

Is that the Classic Albums one? Nuts the extent they went to to get the perfect sound.

I think its time to revisit this band.

I have disliked them for so long they are bound to be my next obsession haha

I think its time to revisit this band.

I have disliked them for so long they are bound to be my next obsession haha

Their music is obviously very influenced by rock, jazz, and r&b and can give an impression of being haughty. However, their lyrics are totally subversive and these guys have a very against the grain way of doing things. Seems right up your alley really. I love everything about them and they are one of my favorite bands.

• Like 1

I watched almost all of The Making of Aja. Never realized they were such perfectionists.

Is that the Classic Albums one? Nuts the extent they went to to get the perfect sound.

I don't know. The entire show wasn't allowed, so it had to be broken up into five or six parts, the first of which was prohibited by copyright law and the last of which seemed to end abruptly.

When next everyone listens to Peg, think of how much it costs Michael McDonald to get a harmony cutting his notes each time by such a small smidgen that it almost drove him batty trying to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQWK7JNs0b4

^^^ Some other dude trying to replicate. Here's another version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0u_JlK8JhI

:P

And the Peg making of clip...6:22 for the vocals part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Is it not the most frustrating thing to listen to music by a very talented band, that ticks every box, and does everything amazingly well...and...and...they leave you empty?

I do not like Steely Dan. But I listened to all these songs, read your posts, admired the craft (especially the vocals on Peg), but I just...do not like it.

But my goodness the clarity of the production, the playfulness and the instrumentation...fantastic band!

Steely Dan are much like Porcupine Tree and solo Steven Wilson. Pleasant and I can imagine even mindblowing...but nothing to my ears is endearing for very long.

I do admire them though. I might even try another album.

I like Aja. Katy Lied seems to be a big deal?

• Like 1

Is it not the most frustrating thing to listen to music by a very talented band, that ticks every box, and does everything amazingly well...and...and...they leave you empty?

I do not like Steely Dan. But I listened to all these songs, read your posts, admired the craft (especially the vocals on Peg), but I just...do not like it.

But my goodness the clarity of the production, the playfulness and the instrumentation...fantastic band!

Steely Dan are much like Porcupine Tree and solo Steven Wilson. Pleasant and I can imagine even mindblowing...but nothing to my ears is endearing for very long.

Katy Lied is certainly my favorite of their albums.

I get what you mean though about them - I have the same feelings about some other bands. I can appreciate the talent and craft, but their music really does not work for me. But the Dan, they are a top 10 band for me.

Edited by Wil1972

I get what you mean though about them - I have the same feelings about some other bands. I can appreciate the talent and craft, but their music really does not work for me. But the Dan, they are a top 10 band for me.

Almost like they're too slick and polished for their own good that they leave an emotional void. I agree. Always thought highly of them but nothing hit me like 'oh my god I gotta get that album'.

Sort of like my feelings about Pink Floyd.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Almost like they're too slick and polished for their own good that they leave an emotional void. I agree. Always thought highly of them but nothing hit me like 'oh my god I gotta get that album'.

Sort of like my feelings about Pink Floyd.

I agree on Pink Floyd. That is an excellent comparison to be honest.

• Like 2

Don't worry Segue i feel this way about a number of bands everybody seems to love.

Cheif among these are

the Doors

the Who

The Police

Doesn'tn mean i don't respect them......i just don't drool over them, lol

Mick

Don't worry Segue i feel this way about a number of bands everybody seems to love.

Cheif among these are

the Doors

the Who

Mick

I strongly agree with two of them.

I don't casually listen to much Steely Dan, but I would consider myself a 'fan'. I have to be in the mood for their flavor of pop/jazz/art rock. It's certainly understandable why someone who enjoys most music like theirs wouldn't actually like them. There's a kind of pretentious, almost snarky undertone to some of SD's material. Which of course I don't mind, as that's their musical attitude and if you're as good at making music as they are you can certainly be however you want. Zappa was obviously snarky too, as an example of what I mean.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

Cheif among these are

the Doors

the Who

Mick

There's a kind of pretentious, almost snarky undertone to some of SD's material.

I don't know about pretentious but certainly a loftier view of what they are doing. Snarky is perfect, though. That is one reason I like them. The music is soft, but the lyrics are hard. Nice contrast.

• Like 2

Their Snarky on purpose. at least that's always been my take.

I love it.

And.......ALL music is pretentious lol. i'm half kidding. but you really could make that argument.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Their Snarky on purpose. at least that's always been my take.

I love it.

And.......ALL music is pretentious lol. i'm half kidding. but you really could make that argument.

Mick

Yea the snarkiness is just part of the attitude for sure.

• Like 1

I haven’t listened to them since Walter Becker passed away. Just not in the mood to be reminded of the loss.

Oh, but the music is golden. The six-album run from Countdown to Ecstasy through Gaucho is really astonishing. Incredible, all the way through.

• Like 3