fraroc

36 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite Geddy bass

• Geddy Lee Official Fender Jazz Bass
    • Rickenbacker 4001
    • Doubleneck Rickenbacker Bass/Guitar combo
    • Wal basses
    • Steinberger Synapse bass

I'm going with the Rickenbacker 4001 with this....I wish I had one so badly. All the greats played one, Lemmy Kilmesister, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee....
  • Like 3

I prefer the Wal basses myself.....

Damn. Forgot...... :sarcastic:

Edited by Narpski

I'm going with the Rickenbacker 4001 with this....I wish I had one so badly. All the greats played one, Lemmy Kilmesister, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee....

I have to admit Rickenbackers look cool. Sure. Try playing one if you're hands are large. I hate the neck around the nut—annoying. As for your right hand, where do you rest your thumb? Ged's Rick was modified somewhat but the real magic lies in HIS fingers.

The Fender Jazz is the bass for me though the Wal is a close second. Love the sound of them right off the rack. IMO it was quite impressive for Geddy to make the transition to the Steinberger as quickly as he did. Kinda hard to adapt to such a non-existent body shape. BTW there's a reason Steinberger basses had a short life in the spotlight—they suck!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I voted for the Ric, but I also like the Fender and the Wal!

I wish I own either one of the three myself, but I guess my Squier which kinda resembles the current appearance of Geddy's #1 Jazz Bass will do for me until I get better at bass/have enough dough to buy his signature model.

I have over 80 basses, but I am partial to Ricks. I'm up to 26 now...here are two of my most recent acquisitions, a walnut 4003w and a 1-of-1 special seagreen 4001C64. But, I also love Fenders as I have 21 Jazz and Precision basses including a 1998 first run Geddy signature model when it was supposed to be a limited edition...but the Ricks are my favorite, even though the company's quality control and customer service are questionable as of late...and no, I don't keep the stupid stickers on the pickguards; the pictures were taken when they were factory fresh.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/ggoatt/4003wneater.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/ggoatt/frysnazhftbkbyj7abto.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n233/ggoatt/SeaGreenSpecial4001C64.jpg

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 1

The Wal fit the Power Windows and Hold Your Fire material perfectly.

That being said...

Everything else sucked with it...ESPECIALLY when he played ANYTHING old with it...it wasn't the bass's fault as much as the tone Geddy was using then which had NO distortion or thickness; it just made anything live that wasn't originally on those two aforementioned albums sound completely thin, empty, and ball-less. Plunky plunky crap.

But again...the Wal sounds great on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire material, especially on the original A Show of Hands VHS mix (before Alex raped it and took all the definition away from the bass while accentuating his thin wiry 80's guitar tone).

• Like 1

To be honest, I never liked the Wal basses because to me, they seemed like an average nothing-special superstrat bass.

I don't even know what that means. Please help me understand what you're saying

To be honest, I never liked the Wal basses because to me, they seemed like an average nothing-special superstrat bass.

I don't even know what that means. Please help me understand what you're saying

What I mean is that back in the 1980s, the "superstrat" style of guitar was all the rage. Guitars like the Jackson soloist, the Ibanez JEM, the BC Rich Gunslinger...That to me is what the Wal basses in the 1980s that Geddy used remind me of. Just another double cutaway Stratocaster-like guitar.

That being said...

Everything else sucked with it...ESPECIALLY when he played ANYTHING old with it...it wasn't the bass's fault as much as the tone Geddy was using then which had NO distortion or thickness; it just made anything live that wasn't originally on those two aforementioned albums sound completely thin, empty, and ball-less. Plunky plunky crap.

But again...the Wal sounds great on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire material, especially on the original A Show of Hands VHS mix (before Alex raped it and took all the definition away from the bass while accentuating his thin wiry 80's guitar tone).

I like PW and HYF quite a bit, but the bass on those records comes more from the pedals. Alex was still using Strats on PW so it sounds much fatter. HYF is somewhat brittle because neither the Wal or those Signatures had any meat on them.

I am partial to the Ric. It just has a growl that I appreciate. After that, the Fender.

Mostly, though, I am jealous of any of you who can play any sort of instrument well - especially the bass. I have always loved the bass. Alas, it's just not in my DNA. My kids, though, especially my daughter, are quite musical (she is a music major in college, in fact - vocal/opera focus). I am astounded by her ability to pick up an instrument, have no formal training, and within a couple of days play it well.

I am partial to the Ric. It just has a growl that I appreciate. After that, the Fender.

Mostly, though, I am jealous of any of you who can play any sort of instrument well - especially the bass. I have always loved the bass. Alas, it's just not in my DNA. My kids, though, especially my daughter, are quite musical (she is a music major in college, in fact - vocal/opera focus). I am astounded by her ability to pick up an instrument, have no formal training, and within a couple of days play it well.

If I can do it anyone can. Learn to play.

Our resident racist bassist on CP, Hemi gets an unbelievable tone from his Geddy Jazz Bass. I think he removed the tone knob, wired the bass in stereo and runs each pickup through separate GK heads and cabs. Once you get past his political flaws, his playing is amazing.

He also owns one of only three Rick Bass/12-strings they ever made. Apparently Geddy owns the other two.

That being said...

I like PW and HYF quite a bit, but the bass on those records comes more from the pedals. Alex was still using Strats on PW so it sounds much fatter. HYF is somewhat brittle because neither the Wal or those Signatures had any meat on them.

The bass mostly comes from the pedals? Sure, there are times when bass pedals are used, but definitely not MOST of it