The Official Golf Hacker Thread

4-man scramble on Thurs. This is the 6th year, and me and another guy have been 2 of the 4 every year. The one guy that was with us every year couldn't make it, and the guy replacing him blew out his ACL a couple weeks ago. He's going to give it a run with a knee brace, but I'm guessing we're not going to match last year's 65. 64 was our best, 69 was our worst. Winning team is usually 59 or so.

Most importantly, I have my Playlist set. It's a fun outing,so I crank the tunes. This year is 80s movies songs... first dozen:

1. Holiday Road (travelling to the tee, seeing a shotgun start)

2. I'm Alright, naturally

3. Back in Time

4. Winner Takes it All

5. Everybody Wants to Rule the World

6. Soul Man

7. Ghostbusters

8. Danger Zone

9. Don't You Forget About Me

10. In Your Eyes

11. St. Elmo's Fire

12. Twist and Shout

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 2

Almost aced a 170-yard par 3 today. Big pond guarding the front right part of the green, big tree on the left side of the fairway.

That was the best 4-iron tee shot I've ever hit. Nice and high, right at the stick. It felt GREAT when I hit it.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab88/unclemonteee/Walsh%208_zpsktm8l433.jpg

Left a nice crater, didn't it? :laughing guy: Of course, my birdie putt went wide right...... :doh:

• Like 1

Almost aced a 170-yard par 3 today. Big pond guarding the front right part of the green, big tree on the left side of the fairway.

That was the best 4-iron tee shot I've ever hit. Nice and high, right at the stick. It felt GREAT when I hit it.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab88/unclemonteee/Walsh%208_zpsktm8l433.jpg

Left a nice crater, didn't it? :laughing guy: Of course, my birdie putt went wide right...... :doh:

Something to remember on birdie putts: Laces out! :LOL:

Congrat's on the beauty iron shot! Especially with a long iron.

• Like 1

So...played 18 with the Men's Club today and had a pretty good round. The front nine was schizophrenic, but ended up being the better of the two nines. It went like this...

Hole 1 (Par 5): Good drive; Seven-iron long and through the dogleg into water; drop; solid six-iron to a back pin; one-putt for par

Hole 2 (Par 4): Seven-iron tee shot pulled left; Choke down nine-iron just short of the green; chip to 4'6"; putt slides by the right edge; bogey (+1)

Hole 3 (Par 4): Six-iron right into water; drop; seven iron short into more water; drop; wedge to green; two-putt for a triple bogey (+4)

Hole 4 (Par 3): Pitching wedge to the green; three-putt for bogey (+5)

Hole 5 (Par 5): Monster drive down left side to 145yds out; wedge to eight feet; one-putt for eagle (+3)

Hole 6 (Par 4): Wicked good hybrid to 145yds; nine-iron to pin-high left, just off the green; chip it tight; tap-in for par (+3)

Hole 7 (Par 3): Eight iron to two-tiered green - wrong tier; putt to twelve feet; hole out for par (+3)

Hole 8 (Par 4): Solid drive to thirty yards out; nine-iron bump an run to two feet; birdie (+2)

Hole 9 (Par 4): Good drive; pitch and two putts for par and a 38 on the front!

:dweez:

Shot more consistent on the back for a 40 to card a 78 for the round.

• Like 1

This summer I've been very busy with a new business I started. I played with some clients on July 1, again the second weekend in August with my kids, and last week with 3 college buddies, two of whom I probably haven't seen in 2 years. The best moment of the three rounds? Outdriving my son by about 5 yards on one hole. He is going to be so much better than I am soon. Second best moment? Watching my daughter slam her driver down in disgust when she topped a shot. It was like watching a little me with long hair. :)
  • Like 1

Watching my daughter slam her driver down in disgust when she topped a shot. It was like watching a little me with long hair. :)

....... and different body parts? :P :P

I've got to admit I'm not very good at golf. I'm just not very coordinated with a golf club in my hands. Normally I'm fine, like with tennis, badminton etc but just not golf! In fact I'm downright dangerous with a club, even down at the driving range! I did score a hole in one at crazy golf tournament once but that just pure luck!
  • Like 1

Played my first round in six months yesterday with the local men's club. Inconsistent, of course, but managed quite a few pars along with a couple of 7's and an 8. Ended up shooting an even 90.

Good fun!

• Like 1

I have been out 5 times. So far I have to say I think I am playing a little bit better version of my usual crap, this year.

Played my second round today, with the Men's Club. I shot 42 on the front, with a birdie and three pars. A couple of bad holes that were caused by bad decision-making.

The back nine I started with a birdie, but struggled after that. The group in front of us was 2 1/2 holes behind, playing very slow. It was a 5 1/2 hour round, and the sun was strong...the wind came. I ended up shooting 48 on the back. Another 90.

• Like 1

Three weeks into my league. I only golfed two of the weeks. Shot a pair of 42's. That's right around my handicap for the course which is a 5 for 9 holes.

My bane is the 3-5 foot putt. Miss way too many of those.

I shot another 42 on Friday as i was golfing out with my opponent as we both couldn't make it on League night this past week.

I missed a 2 foot putt and lipped out 3 more that were in the 8-12 foot range.

I have played three rounds and shot 42 in each one. Pretty consistent!

I have been out 5 times. So far I have to say I think I am playing a little bit better version of my usual crap, this year.

Played my second round today, with the Men's Club. I shot 42 on the front, with a birdie and three pars. A couple of bad holes that were caused by bad decision-making.

The back nine I started with a birdie, but struggled after that. The group in front of us was 2 1/2 holes behind, playing very slow. It was a 5 1/2 hour round, and the sun was strong...the wind came. I ended up shooting 48 on the back. Another 90.

I HATE slow play. Two birdies is pretty sweet!!

I HATE slow play. Two birdies is pretty sweet!!

Yeah, always nice to get a birdie. The first bird was on hole 8, a 290-yd par 4. I nutted a driver to reach the green on the fly, and nearly holed the eagle putt. Easy bird.

Incidentally, that hole is where I made my my only career ace. :)

• Like 1

Hit some balls this morning and figured out a swing move that I'd forgotten. I focused on tucking my left shoulder under my chin, and the swing totally fell together. Turns out I had been using all arms and hands, and no big muscles. So I took that swing thought to the course this evening and walked five holes. I managed four pars and a birdie. :)

"Left shoulder under your chin..."

Kept that as my swing thought while walking the front nine this afternoon. Like yesterday, it was fruitful. First three holes were par, bogie, par. Holes 4, 5 & 6 are a par 3, 5 and 4. I went birdie, eagle, birdie. Finished with three pars for a gross 33 and a net 28!

Best nine I've ever shot.

• Like 2

Keeps raining on League night!!

Played a course I never played before over the weekend. Pretty nice setting out in the country at what was once a farm. Very hilly. Greens were pretty tough as there wasn't a flat putt to be found!

Wasn't a real serious round as I golfed with an old friend who I had not golfed with a quite a few years. More catching up and BS than worrying about a score.

I had 7-8 birdie putts ranging from 8-40 feet but made none. Probably shot around an 85.