The Official Golf Hacker Thread

I'll try to make a long story short. I used to play a ton of golf in my younger years and at my best in my early to mid forties I was around a 6 handicap. Nothing great but nothing terrible either. I quit playing altogether for many reasons about 2008 and had 3 right wrist fusion surgeries from 2013 to 2015. I figured for sure I would never play again and certainly not well enough to even want to. I have been going through a divorce for a little over a year now and my new lady friend could tell how much I loved the game and missed it and said why don't you at least try it again.

I tinkered with it last fall and realized I could at least hit it with some success and I could possibly play again. I put it away for about 8 months until a little over a month ago and started playing again, got the proper equipment(for me anyway) and practicing regularly.

The last few weeks I have been going out and playing 2 balls (2 scores) two or three times a week. Great practice. I have been shooting between 80 and 83 consistantly the last 3 or 4 rounds. Today 76/77. I honestly think I will better than I ever was before....

Long story short lol :LOL: I am sooo stoked about the potential of my golf game again

My story is similar. I gave up the game when I got married because I didn't want to keep spending the kind of money and time I was spending on golf lest I find myself divorced quickly. Fast forward to now, my daughter has moved out, it's just the wife and me and we no longer have the financial burdens we had when we had just gotten married.

So a month ago I got out my golf net and started hitting balls in my back yard 3 or 4 days a week. I haven't played a round yet this year as my swing has gone away completely and I am trying to relearn the game. I myself was an 11 handicap when I gave up the game.

Anyway, I hope to start getting to the course soon and I have access to an indoor range so I hope to keep up the work over the winter and really be able to get back at it next spring.

Yeah, you two f*cking clowns can stop posting in the "hackers" thread any time now. :)

And take goose with you. People who shoot in the 70s, or 80s aren't hackers.

I probably would have a hard time getting in the 80's if I were to go out and play now.

I'd probably have a hard time getting in the 80s if I were to go out and play right now, too. Except I played on Sunday. :)

how many times a year do you play?

Not a lot. Somewhere around 5 times most years, although it's been a little more the last couple because the kids play now. We'll go out about every other Sunday around 5 pm and play 9.

I bet you ALWAYS ace the windmill hole. cuz, you know, you're so damn good!

No dummy I admit I'm not. You're the clown who thinks floor hockey is as hard as real hockey. And likely lies about his golf score to boot.

Show me where i said deck hockey is as hard as ice hockey. I consistently said that i know the rules of hockey because i played a version of hockey. You proceeded to mock me because you have issues of some sort i guess. Issues related to hating Crosby. Like a little kid. Sad really.

You know what's sad? You coming into a golf thread to continue a stupid hockey fight from another thread from a month ago. Who are you, Happy Gilmore? Go somewhere else. Go to your happy place.

• Like 1

I'll try to make a long story short. I used to play a ton of golf in my younger years and at my best in my early to mid forties I was around a 6 handicap. Nothing great but nothing terrible either. I quit playing altogether for many reasons about 2008 and had 3 right wrist fusion surgeries from 2013 to 2015. I figured for sure I would never play again and certainly not well enough to even want to. I have been going through a divorce for a little over a year now and my new lady friend could tell how much I loved the game and missed it and said why don't you at least try it again.

I tinkered with it last fall and realized I could at least hit it with some success and I could possibly play again. I put it away for about 8 months until a little over a month ago and started playing again, got the proper equipment(for me anyway) and practicing regularly.

The last few weeks I have been going out and playing 2 balls (2 scores) two or three times a week. Great practice. I have been shooting between 80 and 83 consistantly the last 3 or 4 rounds. Today 76/77. I honestly think I will better than I ever was before....

Long story short lol :LOL: I am sooo stoked about the potential of my golf game again

My story is similar. I gave up the game when I got married because I didn't want to keep spending the kind of money and time I was spending on golf lest I find myself divorced quickly. Fast forward to now, my daughter has moved out, it's just the wife and me and we no longer have the financial burdens we had when we had just gotten married.

So a month ago I got out my golf net and started hitting balls in my back yard 3 or 4 days a week. I haven't played a round yet this year as my swing has gone away completely and I am trying to relearn the game. I myself was an 11 handicap when I gave up the game.

Anyway, I hope to start getting to the course soon and I have access to an indoor range so I hope to keep up the work over the winter and really be able to get back at it next spring.

Yeah, you two f*cking clowns can stop posting in the "hackers" thread any time now. :)

I probably would have a hard time getting in the 80's if I were to go out and play now.

I'd probably have a hard time getting in the 80s if I were to go out and play right now, too. Except I played on Sunday. :)

Not a lot. Somewhere around 5 times most years, although it's been a little more the last couple because the kids play now. We'll go out about every other Sunday around 5 pm and play 9.

I bet you ALWAYS ace the windmill hole. cuz, you know, you're so damn good!

No dummy I admit I'm not. You're the clown who thinks floor hockey is as hard as real hockey. And likely lies about his golf score to boot.

Show me where i said deck hockey is as hard as ice hockey. I consistently said that i know the rules of hockey because i played a version of hockey. You proceeded to mock me because you have issues of some sort i guess. Issues related to hating Crosby. Like a little kid. Sad really.

You know what's sad? You coming into a golf thread to continue a stupid hockey fight from another thread from a month ago. Who are you, Happy Gilmore? Go somewhere else. Go to your happy place.

This is my happy place! Thanks for your sage advice though!!

Take your fight to the hockey thread1 Golf is a gentleman's game. ;)

Anyway...I played men's club and the format was match play. I managed to win my math 4&3, and also managed a pretty good round stroke-play wise. We played the ball down,since not too many guys in our men's club understand the concept of giving a putt. Literally, guys made their opponents mark and putt out a ten-inch putt.

I shot 40-40 for an 80, and that includes four-putting the last hole. :LOL:

Like I said, goose, your "hacker" privileges have been revoked. :)

• Like 1

That's not very many.

When my handicap was 11, I was hitting golf balls 5 days a week, either by going to a range, a local school with a big field or by playing rounds of golf. Do that for 6 months and you will have no problems getting in the 80's most times out.

By the time I have the time to play enough to see if that's the case (and with my play I'm not sure it ever would be) I'm afraid I won't be physically able to drive the ball 50 yards. :)

• Like 1

Anyway...I played men's club and the format was match play. I managed to win my math 4&3, and also managed a pretty good round stroke-play wise. We played the ball down,since not too many guys in our men's club understand the concept of giving a putt. Literally, guys made their opponents mark and putt out a ten-inch putt.

Four putt...on a flat green. Sober.

:D

Sober. That was your problem. ;)

• Like 1

BnHsDZMCIAAup84.jpg

BnHsDZMCIAAup84.jpg

Did you see him on Feherty last week? He looks....weird.

Last night while playing I decided to shorten my backswing, increase clubhead speed on the downswing and turn over my forearms a bit on the downswing.

I did this on the last 3 holes and made better, crisper contact than i have in pretty much forever. Now i know this is an extemely small sample size, but I'm excited to get back out and see if this indeed will help my ballstriking.

• Like 1

Last night while playing I decided to shorten my backswing, increase clubhead speed on the downswing and turn over my forearms a bit on the downswing.

I did this on the last 3 holes and made better, crisper contact than i have in pretty much forever. Now i know this is an extemely small sample size, but I'm excited to get back out and see if this indeed will help my ballstriking.

Funny, but that's exactly what I did after a week of spraying the ball. In trying to have a smooth swing, I was stretching it out, which forced me to use my hands to play catch up. The result was inconsistent contact and unpredictable aim. The shorter swing, as you note, has produced a reliable crisp contact and a straighter ball.

:ebert:

• Like 1

Funny, but that's exactly what I did after a week of spraying the ball. In trying to have a smooth swing, I was stretching it out, which forced me to use my hands to play catch up. The result was inconsistent contact and unpredictable aim. The shorter swing, as you note, has produced a reliable crisp contact and a straighter ball.

How much did you shorten it? I have been hitting range balls three times a week and my iron play is horribly inconsistent and does not seem to be coming around. It's got me thinking about putting the clubs back in the closet.
  • Like 1

How much did you shorten it? I have been hitting range balls three times a week and my iron play is horribly inconsistent and does not seem to be coming around. It's got me thinking about putting the clubs back in the closet.

Between 9 and 10 o'clock. where i was always between 11 and 12 o'clock.
  • Like 1

I go to about 9 o'clock with wrists fully hinged at that point. Another key, though, is focusing on the shoulder turn. "Left shoulder under the chin" is what I think.

1. 9 o'clock

2. Shoulder under the chin

3. Right elbow tight to my side (For this last one, a good drill is to put a scorecard or glove between your right arm and side, then swing with letting it drop till follow through)

If these things don't help, it could be grip (too strong?), stance (spine straight, tailbone out!) or ball position (too far forward in your stance?).

I go to about 9 o'clock with wrists fully hinged at that point. Another key, though, is focusing on the shoulder turn. "Left shoulder under the chin" is what I think.

1. 9 o'clock

3. Right elbow tight to my side (For this last one, a good drill is to put a scorecard or glove between your right arm and side, then swing with letting it drop till follow through)

If these things don't help, it could be grip (too strong?), stance (spine straight, tailbone out!) or ball position (too far forward in your stance?).

I am having a hard time not breaking my left arm down. I know I am doing it. I can't seem to stop. Flexibility is also an issue with me. My range of motion is not what it once was.

A shorter swing may be required for me.

• Like 1

1. 9 o'clock

I am having a hard time not breaking my left arm down. I know I am doing it. I can't seem to stop. Flexibility is also an issue with me. My range of motion is not what it once was.

A shorter swing may be required for me.

Start by chipping. Take a dozen balls and practice going from 7 to 9 o'clock. All big muscles: shoulders and back only, no wrist. Then go to the range and do the same swing, but with the hands engaged this time. That works for me.

I had a match on Saturday for my league. Kept my backswing shorter. It worked (at least for one round).

Shot a 38 (par 35). Only mishit one shot and that was due to being in between clubs and I didn't trust the shot. My lag putting and chipping was excellent. But I didn't make any of the five 5-8 footers I had.

6 pars

3 bogeys

• Like 1

Last night was the last night of my League. Next week the playoffs begin which are match play. I will either be playing one of the better golfers and as such will be getting a stroke on 3 holes. Or a higher handicap golfer and would be giving a stroke on 5 holes.

Which one would you prefer to play?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Last night was the last night of my League. Next week the playoffs begin which are match play. I will either be playing one of the better golfers and as such will be getting a stroke on 3 holes. Or a higher handicap golfer and would be giving a stroke on 5 holes.

Thanks!

I would rather play the lower handicapped player and get the 3 shots. I always found I played better when I played with better players anyway. Nerves were the only problem I found in those situations. Keep the backswing short and be more concerned with the strike and pure contact. It's amazing what happens when I follow that advice myself...

I have been on a trip to Texas for a little over a week now to visit my parents and celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary and a family reunion. I took my time driving here and spent two nights on the way here from Myrtle Beach. I packed the sticks and played a twilight round at a cool course near Monroe Mississippi on the way down. Tough track and playing it for the first and only time was tough on the score but it was fun. I am leaving in the morning and plan to drive back a different way through Tennessee and sneak in a round in the Smokey Mountain region of NC. Very excited to play some mountain golf again if things work out. I am gonna try to play Sringdale Country Club in Canton NC Saturday late afternoon. It looks amazing on their website and has great reviews and the rates don't seem out of line. Living in Myrtle Beach for 17 years now it has gotten old playing at sea level and flat terrain. I miss my younger years playing all over Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The courses were so different and so much fun....
  • Like 2

I drew the League's best golfer. He has been in the Finals the last 4 years (won 3). I am getting a stroke on 4 holes. Going to be tough. But the last 2 years I got beat by higher handicapped golfers that i gave strokes too, so at least this year it's different!
  • Like 1

I have been on a trip to Texas for a little over a week now to visit my parents and celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary and a family reunion. I took my time driving here and spent two nights on the way here from Myrtle Beach. I packed the sticks and played a twilight round at a cool course near Monroe Mississippi on the way down. Tough track and playing it for the first and only time was tough on the score but it was fun. I am leaving in the morning and plan to drive back a different way through Tennessee and sneak in a round in the Smokey Mountain region of NC. Very excited to play some mountain golf again if things work out. I am gonna try to play Sringdale Country Club in Canton NC Saturday late afternoon. It looks amazing on their website and has great reviews and the rates don't seem out of line. Living in Myrtle Beach for 17 years now it has gotten old playing at sea level and flat terrain. I miss my younger years playing all over Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The courses were so different and so much fun....

That sounds like a really cool way to handle a road trip!

I had a match on Saturday for my league. Kept my backswing shorter. It worked (at least for one round).

Shot a 38 (par 35). Only mishit one shot and that was due to being in between clubs and I didn't trust the shot. My lag putting and chipping was excellent. But I didn't make any of the five 5-8 footers I had.

6 pars

3 bogeys

Nice round! I played Friday and had a rocky start (shot 46 with two triple bogies), but pulled it together to card a 39 (par is 36) on the last nine, with yet another triple bogie. My driving really fell together the last nine holes, which makes scoring so much easier.

Thanks!

I would much rather get strokes. It sucks making a par and only staying even when a dude makes bogie. Or worse yet, having to make birdie just to stay even.

Plus, a typical high handicapper doesn't should boies and double bogies every hole. The make bogies a few pars, and blow up on some holes. Those blow-up holes don't matter in match play, so a high handicapper's tough to beat.

• Like 1

Played a four-ball format with a buddy of mine in Men's Club yesterday. We did OK on the front nine, but the other twosome was shooting lights out. One of the guys was an older friend of mine, a 26 handicapper. We'd make net birdies, and he'd make pars for net eagle. They ended up shooting a net 56. The funny thing is, they finished tied for second and eventually lost in a two-tem playoff, out of the money. Low team was -53.

Silver lining: Six of us later went out for a five-hole skins game. I managed to get two skins, plus a birdie on top of another birdie to play spoiler. I got 2/3 of the pot.

• Like 2