The Official Golf Hacker Thread

So I take advantage of a promotion by TaylorMade, and I buy a JetSpeed driver, with the 3-wood coming for free. In dire need of an equipment upgrade, I just HAD to do it, ya know.

I take these two new clubs to the driving range, and DAMN!......those golf balls went pretty far!! And STRAIGHT, too!! :LOL: I had a wee bit of slice on the driver, but that 3-wood was like a Starfleet-caliber phaser rifle..... :ebert: :ebert: I was saying to myself, "I got all of that one," waaaay more than I usually do.

Looking foward to completing my upgrade with a new set of TaylorMade irons. Also looking forward to actually winning some rounds, because it's never been ME, ya know. It's always been my clubs holding me back.... ;) ;)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

I can hit an 80 yd worm burner all day long. Getting the ball off the ground aint my style. Never been able to do it in the four years I've golfed. I should take your advice and invest in some new clubs.
  • Like 1

I can hit an 80 yd worm burner all day long. Getting the ball off the ground aint my style. Never been able to do it in the four years I've golfed. I should take your advice and invest in some new clubs.

When I'm in the fairway, I can be a worm mass-murderer.....:doh: I gave up on using any fairway woods, as my hacker swing just isn't compatible....:LOL:

I upgraded last year. Callaway Woods, TaylorMade irons, Odyssey White Hot putter.

Score has dropped, but I wish I would have flipped the woods and irons and got TM woods and Callaway irons

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

I'm getting a set of Adam's Tight Lies - My friend has one and it's the only fairway wood I can hit consistently and i'm sure he's getting tired of following me around the course.

So I take advantage of a promotion by TaylorMade, and I buy a JetSpeed driver, with the 3-wood coming for free. In dire need of an equipment upgrade, I just HAD to do it, ya know.

I take these two new clubs to the driving range, and DAMN!......those golf balls went pretty far!! And STRAIGHT, too!! :LOL: I had a wee bit of slice on the driver, but that 3-wood was like a Starfleet-caliber phaser rifle..... :ebert: :ebert: I was saying to myself, "I got all of that one," waaaay more than I usually do.

Looking foward to completing my upgrade with a new set of TaylorMade irons. Also looking forward to actually winning some rounds, because it's never been ME, ya know. It's always been my clubs holding me back.... ;) ;)

I traditionally downplay the role of equipment - mainly because I don't want to shell out the cash! I upgrade about every eight years, and last spring got a great deal on a set of McGregor irons. They are so pure compared to what I was playing. much longer, straighter, with more consistent yardage.

I need a decent fairway wood, though. that's a huge gap in my game that I've learned to fill by using driver off the deck, choked a various lengths. Not a very predictable or dependable shot.

I'm getting a set of Adam's Tight Lies - My friend has one and it's the only fairway wood I can hit consistently and i'm sure he's getting tired of following me around the course.

Those can usually be picked up for a good price.

Any of you shop Golfsmith, on the line?

Edited by goose

Golf is so counter-intuitive in that way. As long as you're trying to lift the ball, it will stay down. Try and mash it into the ground and it'll jump right off the fairway.

I upgraded last year. Callaway Woods, TaylorMade irons, Odyssey White Hot putter.

Score has dropped, but I wish I would have flipped the woods and irons and got TM woods and Callaway irons

Sounds like some good gear. My daughter has Callaway irons and they're beautiful.

Those can usually be picked up for a good price.

Any of you shop Golfsmith, on the line?

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/search/fairway-woods

Adams fairway wood...$50 off at Golfsmith.

I use Taylor Made irons, 16 year old Bubble Burners. I have TM 3 and 5 woods. I have a Big Bertha driver. The woods are all the same age. I can't use my woods even to tee off until about the third hole. I always shoot between a 100 and 105. I've broken 100 twice, and both times I shot a 99. But I'm proud to say I count every shot.

My kids have started playing, so I'm hoping that playing every week (last year we went out every Saturday or Sunday at 4 pm or so and played 9) will help. One good thing about being bad is I don't agonize over crappy shots.

• Like 1

One good thing about being bad is I don't agonize over crappy shots.

I can totally relate.....:LOL: All I ask of myself is to get the ball up in the air and going forward. If it goes badly left or right, I don't get mad at all, as I know that I just need to tweak my swing a little bit. Ground balls still annoy the hell out of me though....:doh:

Taylor Made Burner Plus irons. $230. Another example of great Craigslist deals.

https://reno.craigsl...4442920842.html

I never bought a "new" set of irons or a driver or anything the last 20 years I played. Always gently used and trade ins. Pride be damned! :)
  • Like 1

Golf is so counter-intuitive in that way. As long as you're trying to lift the ball, it will stay down. Try and mash it into the ground and it'll jump right off the fairway.

At the driving range today, I let my anxieties go and just swung thru the ball with my irons. As the experts say, you're the swinger, and the club head is the lifter. The balls went up and up and way down the range......very satisfying. My 3 & 4 irons were still a bit of a pain, but for the most part, I swung all my irons very well. :ebert:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Oh BOY did I ever hack away today! All those buckets of balls I hit nice and straight at the driving range went for naught.

My first outing of the year was horrendous!! :boo hiss: I forgot all the good techniques I was using at the range....especially off the tee. I had some really good chips onto the green and some good putts, so it wasn't a total failure. Only lost one ball, so that is a WIN.... :laughing yellow guy:

I really think that having a new golfing partner today was the source of my lack of focus. I wasn't sure if he was going to be cool, or obnoxious, or patronizing. He turned out to be really cool, but a few times he gave me some unnecessary "free advice".

It's important to me to have golfing buddies I can trust. I go to play golf - not to give or receive lessons. I can't stand guys acting like they're my instructor....especially when they're golfing worse than I am! :bitchslap:

Edited by Principled Man

Oh BOY did I ever hack away today! All those buckets of balls I hit nice and straight at the driving range went for naught.

My first outing of the year was horrendous!! :boo hiss: I forgot all the good techniques I was using at the range....especially off the tee. I had some really good chips onto the green and some good putts, so it wasn't a total failure. Only lost one ball, so that is a WIN.... :laughing yellow guy:

I really think that having a new golfing partner today was the source of my lack of focus. I wasn't sure if he was going to be cool, or obnoxious, or patronizing. He turned out to be really cool, but a few times he gave me some unnecessary "free advice".

It's important to me to have golfing buddies I can trust. I go to play golf - not to give or receive lessons. I can't stand guys acting like they're my instructor....especially when they're golfing worse than I am! :bitchslap:

I hate playing with strangers. Half of the fun for me is chatting with my buddies, or my kids, during the round. A stranger, even if they're a good guy (I've never had a woman jump in) infringes upon that.

• Like 1

I hate playing with strangers. Half of the fun for me is chatting with my buddies, or my kids, during the round. A stranger, even if they're a good guy (I've never had a woman jump in) infringes upon that.

When I played for those 25 years or so I found I almost always played better with strangers. I used to play with regular partners (brother in laws mostly) quite a bit but I showed up plenty of times as a single (obsessed) and was paired with others and seemed to play my best most of the time. If they were good players I even played better.... :)

When I played for those 25 years or so I found I almost always played better with strangers. I used to play with regular partners (brother in laws mostly) quite a bit but I showed up plenty of times as a single (obsessed) and was paired with others and seemed to play my best most of the time. If they were good players I even played better.... :)

I always enjoyed the solitude of playing by myself. You could play at you own pace and not worry about dealing with anyone else. This worked well in high school...I could usually start at 4:15 and be done with 9 in an hour.

• Like 1

I always enjoyed the solitude of playing by myself. You could play at you own pace and not worry about dealing with anyone else. This worked well in high school...I could usually start at 4:15 and be done with 9 in an hour.

All the years when my son played junior golf we would play 18 holes in two hours (with cart). I was a fast player and if anything he would play faster than me. I used to try to get him to slow down (especially on and around the greens) but he never would or did. I guess as a dad your habits rub off on your kids in ways you never would even imagine.... :)

Agree 100%. With your true buddies, you don't have to worry about anything. No pressure at all. My main golfing buddies live 1-2 hours away, so our golf outings these days are rather limited. I hit the snot out of the ball when I'm with them. :ebert:

Today, I played with a co-worker, who is a great guy, and a bit better than me at golfing (which is just fine). I'm about a year into my new job, and I'm still getting to know everyone. I'll be golfing with other co-workers this coming week, so I'll see who is a fun golfer and who isn't.....

• Like 1

That may very well be the case. And I've been paired with guys who end up being enjoyable enough to talk with. But I talk about things with my buddies, or kids, that I just wouldn't with other people. I'm not talking about anything racy either. You can just be yourself in a way I can't with a stranger.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.

• Like 2

That may very well be the case. And I've been paired with guys who end up being enjoyable enough to talk with. But I talk about things with my buddies, or kids, that I just wouldn't with other people. I'm not talking about anything racy either. You can just be yourself in a way I can't with a stranger.

Nice touch.... :)
  • Like 1

Nice touch.... :)

I accidentally unliked and then reliked your post because I meant to quote you

That is, in fact, the lyric of Neil's that resonates with me the most.