The Official Golf Hacker Thread

I still haven't decided whether to join this year. I'm leaning toward no.

Why no? Not wanting to commit? Other plans? I love league golf.

I love it, too, but time is an issue. There's also another group that's more local that I msy join.
  • Like 1

Yesterday was my earliest round ever I think. I played with couple of guys I play with frequently (for me anyways) and one of their coworkers. It was about 50 degrees out but overcast, so it felt much colder. I don't think I've EVER driven the ball straighter in my life. It was my irons that failed me yesterday.
  • Like 1

Yesterday was my earliest round ever I think. I played with couple of guys I play with frequently (for me anyways) and one of their coworkers. It was about 50 degrees out but overcast, so it felt much colder. I don't think I've EVER driven the ball straighter in my life. It was my irons that failed me yesterday.

Always feels good to be driving it straight.

League started last night.

We play match play, but get a point for each hole we win and 1/2 point for a halved hole, so max is winning 9 points per match.. I was giving a stroke on 6 holes. Shot a 42. We each won 4.5 points.

3 pars

5 bogeys

1 double (only poor shot as i chunked a wedge into the water)

Good :

Drove the ball very good. Hit 5/7 fairways with the misses not being that far off the fairway.

Iron play/approach shots were struck very well, but I misjudged some distances and left myself with some long putts .

Bad:

Around the greens I was mediocre. Didn't make any putts of length. Most chips came up too short (as usual). This has been an ongoing issue with me for years and years. I just can't seem to get the mindset of chipping the ball harder as "never up, never in"

Great to be back on the course!!

• Like 1

We play match play, but get a point for each hole we win and 1/2 point for a halved hole, so max is winning 9 points per match.. I was giving a stroke on 6 holes. Shot a 42. We each won 4.5 points.

3 pars

5 bogeys

Good :

Drove the ball very good. Hit 5/7 fairways with the misses not being that far off the fairway.

Iron play/approach shots were struck very well, but I misjudged some distances and left myself with some long putts .

Bad:

Around the greens I was mediocre. Didn't make any putts of length. Most chips came up too short (as usual). This has been an ongoing issue with me for years and years. I just can't seem to get the mindset of chipping the ball harder as "never up, never in"

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've told myself, "Get the ball to the hole!".
  • Like 1

I'm playing tomorrow at Dayton Valley, an Arnold Palmer-designed course here in NorNev, so I spent some time on the range today, finding my swing. It occurred to me that four years ago I'd say 1 in 5 strikes was a less than solid one, and now I pure maybe 1 in 5 of the shots I take. I'm just not willing to put in the work that it takes to be good, anymore.
  • Like 1

3 pars

5 bogeys

Good :

Bad:

I have never been able to consistently chip the ball onto the green from, say, 20 yards and less out. It either goes a foot or it goes over. It’s clearly a mental thing.

I'm playing tomorrow at Dayton Valley, an Arnold Palmer-designed course here in NorNev, so I spent some time on the range today, finding my swing. It occurred to me that four years ago I'd say 1 in 5 strikes was a less than solid one, and now I pure maybe 1 in 5 of the shots I take. I'm just not willing to put in the work that it takes to be good, anymore.

A favorite saying of mine after a bad shot is “I’m not good enough to get pissed about that.” It’s a LOT of work to be consistent.

3 pars

5 bogeys

Good :

Bad:

I have never been able to consistently chip the ball onto the green from, say, 20 yards and less out. It either goes a foot or it goes over. It’s clearly a mental thing.

My chipping is pretty consistent...consistently short of the hole..usually within 8-10 feet, but that's not good enough.

A favorite saying of mine after a bad shot is “I’m not good enough to get pissed about that.” It’s a LOT of work to be consistent.

:yes:

I played ok today, made some pars and some bogies, with a couple of bad holes. Chipping cost me. For example, on hole 1 I had a great drive and a good pitch that put me just off the back of the green to a back pin. I then bladed my chip clear across the green and into the bunker. Out, up, second putt burns the edge. Seven.

:LOL:

I shot 87.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Shot a 41 last night.

1 birdie

3 pars

4 bogeys

1 double

Good : Striped the ball off of the tee. Hit 7/7 fairways. Putted pretty good. Birdie was a putt through some light rough and the fringe.

Bad: Chipping again. Left a few more short of the hole by 8-12 feet. Double was caused by a fluffed chip.

• Like 1

^^^ Nice round.

On a lark I went out for nine holes today. There was a breeze, but it was clear as a bell. After five holes I was -1, (par 5-birdie 3-bogie 4-par 4-birdie 4). Then I had to turn into the wind, which had really picked up. Decent drive, then my approach from 190yd was knocked down by a huge gust. Had to flop a sand trap, which I did, but left myself a long lag. I read the putt as uphill and breaking, but it stayed straight and rolled out about ten feet past. :eh: Made double. Followed with a bogie-bogie, to finish 3 over (39). That should have felt better than it did.

• Like 1

^^^ Nice round.

On a lark I went out for nine holes today. There was a breeze, but it was clear as a bell. After five holes I was -1, (par 5-birdie 3-bogie 4-par 4-birdie 4). Then I had to turn into the wind, which had really picked up. Decent drive, then my approach from 190yd was knocked down by a huge gust. Had to flop a sand trap, which I did, but left myself a long lag. I read the putt as uphill and breaking, but it stayed straight and rolled out about ten feet past. :eh: Made double. Followed with a bogie-bogie, to finish 3 over (39). That should have felt better than it did.

I'm not sure if you guys get it. "Hackers" do not shoot in the low 80s. Maybe you and Mithrandir should start a thread called "Pr*ckheads Who Shoot in the Low 80s and B*tch About the 1 Bad Shot they Had in the Round."

Or something like that. :)

In all seriousness I envy you boys.

• Like 2

^^^ Nice round.

I'm not sure if you guys get it. "Hackers" do not shoot in the low 80s. Maybe you and Mithrandir should start a thread called "Pr*ckheads Who Shoot in the Low 80s and B*tch About the 1 Bad Shot they Had in the Round."

Or something like that. :)

In all seriousness I envy you boys.

Keep your head down.

:LOL:

• Like 1

Shot a 43 last night in my league match. We play match play with winner of each hole getting a point, etc.. Opponent was same handicap as me so we played even up.

I won 5/9 points. Unfortunately the course is in pretty poor shape. The owners aren't putting any money into upkeep. Many fairways have portions that are unplayable.

it's a shame because up until about 4 years ago the course was really nice.

Good : Putting for a change! Putting saved me strokes on 4 holes. I hit some good approach shots

Bad: Pretty much everything else. Inconsistent drives, mediocre chipping (Yes I left every chip short, yet AGAIN). Some poor approach shots.

Shot a 43 last night in my league match. We play match play with winner of each hole getting a point, etc.. Opponent was same handicap as me so we played even up.

I won 5/9 points. Unfortunately the course is in pretty poor shape. The owners aren't putting any money into upkeep. Many fairways have portions that are unplayable.

it's a shame because up until about 4 years ago the course was really nice.

Good : Putting for a change! Putting saved me strokes on 4 holes. I hit some good approach shots

Bad: Pretty much everything else. Inconsistent drives, mediocre chipping (Yes I left every chip short, yet AGAIN). Some poor approach shots.

Putting well solves a lot of problems! :LOL:

Congrat's on the win!

• Like 1

Made par on the final hole by spraying drive one OB, crushing drive #2, nutting a fairway 5wood, and holing out an eight footer.

lol

• Like 1

I did a Tale of two nines the last two weeks,

Shot a 37 two weeks ago. 2 birdies! I won 6.5/9 points

Then shot a 46 last week, although this was on the toughest of the 4 9-holes courses my league plays. I played the worst golfer in the league and he shot a 61. I won 6/9 points.

• Like 1

Played the PB Dye course in Maryland over the weekend. It was a nice layout and very challenging from the green tees at 6374 yards. Course was in pretty good shape.

Every green had the signature(?) huge humps and breaks of a Dye course, meaning almost every put was an adventure, especially if you were on the wrong part of the green. Now i don't mind a few of those greens, but every one of them like that was too much for me to enjoy enough to ever play the course again.

Played the PB Dye course in Maryland over the weekend. It was a nice layout and very challenging from the green tees at 6374 yards. Course was in pretty good shape.

Every green had the signature(?) huge humps and breaks of a Dye course, meaning almost every put was an adventure, especially if you were on the wrong part of the green. Now i don't mind a few of those greens, but every one of them like that was too much for me to enjoy enough to ever play the course again.

I find those courses tiresome. I've several of the Palm Springs Pete Dye courses and don't recall too many silly greens. Lots of railroad ties and bunkers, though.

The various Sierra Nevada mountain courses I've played around Reno and Truckee have absurd greens...and fairways for that matter. There's just too much luck involved over 18 holes for me to find it any fun.

I find those courses tiresome. I've several of the Palm Springs Pete Dye courses and don't recall too many silly greens. Lots of railroad ties and bunkers, though.

The various Sierra Nevada mountain courses I've played around Reno and Truckee have absurd greens...and fairways for that matter. There's just too much luck involved over 18 holes for me to find it any fun.

Yep.

And the weekend duffers are not god enough to hit it to specific parts of the green. One downhill par 3 had the pin about 10 feet from the front of the green with OB in front of the green. So anyone hitting it on the green and beyond the flag (read 99% of the golfers) had a ridiculous downhill putt that even when you just tapped it rolled off the front of the green. That's fun?

Yep.

And the weekend duffers are not god enough to hit it to specific parts of the green. One downhill par 3 had the pin about 10 feet from the front of the green with OB in front of the green. So anyone hitting it on the green and beyond the flag (read 99% of the golfers) had a ridiculous downhill putt that even when you just tapped it rolled off the front of the green. That's fun?

Six hour round!!! :cheerleader:

Yep.

Six hour round!!! :cheerleader:

Actually teed off at 9:27 and done right at 2:00