Windows 7

barney_rebel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Jan 1 2010, 03:10 PM)
wink.gif

http://files.myopera.com/L2D2/albums/725629/117.jpg

well there's THAT, yes. laugh.gif

But there's also Google Chrome now...

and on my MAC I have Camino.

there are choices out there people!!!

I've not had a problem with either IE or Firefox on my W7 system. Occasionally Firefox will freeze on the MAC. Not the end of the world though.

I switched from Vista to 7 RC back during the summertime, and installed 7 Pro as soon as it was released. I bagged 7 Pro at the discounted price during the summertime preorder window.

Although I didn't hate Vista, it was a pig (had to upgrade from 1GB to 3 GB of RAM just to get things to run well) and was prone to performance degradation. After 12-18 months, performance was bad, even after uninstalling all unnecessary software and manually de-crapping the registry. I benchmarked, wiped, reinstalled Vista, and benchmarked again, and verified that performance had degraded 30% over that 12-18 months of my first Vista install.

Hopefully 7 is like XP in that regard: Although I wiped and reinstalled XP a few times due to major hardware changes and the occasional suspected malware, I never got a performance boost by reinstalling XP. I hope the same is true for 7, if I ever have to reinstall it.

The only complaint i have with 7 is the picture viewer - in the previous Windows versions it would allow you to move your pics around in any order you want within a file - Now they are locked and there is no way to rearrange them unless you rename all of them - I work with thousands of pics every week and this sucks, other than that it's excellent -

I installed it yesterday so this is the first time I've been on since the install. So far so good. I hated Vista, what a pain in the ass that was!

QUOTE (alphseeker @ May 9 2010, 09:35 AM)
The only complaint i have with 7 is the picture viewer - in the previous Windows versions it would allow you to move your pics around in any order you want within a file - Now they are locked and there is no way to rearrange them unless you rename all of them - I work with thousands of pics every week and this sucks, other than that it's excellent -

Absolutely correct and I have the same complaint.

Not sure if anyone has tries "God Mode" for Windows 7 yet. It's basically a master control panel with all the settings you could ever want in one handy place. Pretty neat.

To get God Mode functionality, create a new folder on the desktop and rename it as follows:

GodMode.[ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C]

Any setting you can think of is there. Just thought I'd share. smile.gif

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Aug 1 2010, 08:42 PM)
I had to use the curly brackets to get that to work.

I think the OP actually typed in the upper case curly brackets, but somehow this forum won't display anything but the lower case brackets. [ ]

After it is created, I just renamed it from GodMode to Master Control, since the icon it creates looks the same as my Control Panel icon anyway. And all the stuff in there is in alphabetical order, which is nice, if you can't find stuff in your regular Control Panel folder that is.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Aug 3 2010, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Aug 1 2010, 08:42 PM)
I had to use the curly brackets to get that to work.

I think the OP actually typed in the upper case curly brackets, but somehow this forum won't display anything but the lower case brackets. [ ]

After it is created, I just renamed it from GodMode to Master Control, since the icon it creates looks the same as my Control Panel icon anyway. And all the stuff in there is in alphabetical order, which is nice, if you can't find stuff in your regular Control Panel folder that is.

Cool.

Windows 7 DOES run like a dream, but come on. Over $100.

Ubuntu is free, faster, bigger, easier, virtually impenetrable, far more powerful, and not developed by a company that has been enjoying an illegal monopoly for decades. Microsoft embodies the worst of mankind. If you think that you would have any minute issue using Linux, direct it to me and allow me to correct you in two seconds.

And the IE vs Firefox debate is a total joke. They are both nightmarish for someone who has tried Opera.

Great software like that mentioned above teaches us that there are a lot of crooked developers out there who know that everyday consumers are perfectly fine with being fed a steaming pile of crippled crap. It makes me sad watching people who have so much potential to be so much happier, but I can't help them because they stubbornly cling to the mainstream. It's just so much easier! So much safer! So much faster! What can I do to fix you broken souls?

sad.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Oct 28 2010, 04:22 PM)

Ubuntu is free, faster, bigger, easier, virtually impenetrable, far more powerful, and not developed by a company that has been enjoying an illegal monopoly for decades. Microsoft embodies the worst of mankind. If you think that you would have any minute issue using Linux, direct it to me and allow me to correct you in two seconds.

And the IE vs Firefox debate is a total joke. They are both nightmarish for someone who has tried Opera.

Great software like that mentioned above teaches us that there are a lot of crooked developers out there who know that everyday consumers are perfectly fine with being fed a steaming pile of crippled crap. It makes me sad watching people who have so much potential to be so much happier, but I can't help them because they stubbornly cling to the mainstream. It's just so much easier! So much safer! So much faster! What can I do to fix you broken souls?

sad.gif

I have to use Win7 for work on my laptop. But, I administer Linux and UNIX systems by trade.

Ubuntu is nice. But, I prefer Debian as I'm a "little" more of an advanced user. wink.gif

Ubuntu does have some things which are very nice I will admit. Perfect for most users. Though, I will say that most people whom are power gamers and play the latest games will most likely be better suited on Windows. Yes, I'm aware of Cedega. But, it's not quite there on the latest games in most cases.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Oct 28 2010, 05:22 PM)

Haven't paid for an Operating System since I built my first computer in '96, but if there ever is a day I have to, then I'll probably give Linux a try. cool.gif

Windows 7 came running on my laptop when I bought it in August. It's amazing how fast it is compared to Vista and XP. I love how you can drag things to the sides to make them go half-screen.

IMO it's the best OS I've used so far.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 2 2011, 05:26 PM)
I love how you can drag things to the sides to make them go half-screen.

really? thats one (of very few) thing that i HATE about windows 7. often times i want to have a window partially off-screen, but still open all the way. they should make it an option, but a clickable one...i don't need my computer deciding what size my windows are for me.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2011, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 2 2011, 05:26 PM)
I love how you can drag things to the sides to make them go half-screen.

really? thats one (of very few) thing that i HATE about windows 7. often times i want to have a window partially off-screen, but still open all the way. they should make it an option, but a clickable one...i don't need my computer deciding what size my windows are for me.

It's perfect for me because when I take notes in class I can have the notes I'm taking along with previous references on the same screen simultaneously, and I can bring up more to fit the same space in a split second. It's also great for doing research papers. If you want to move a window partially offscreen, then grab it by the edge furthest away from the side you're going to drag it to. The half-screen thing only happens when the mouse goes off screen while holding a Window.