Porcupine Tree VS. Tool

Which band is better?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

• Porcupine Tree
    • Tool

I abstained from the vote because I don't love either one of them. Tool has some great material but their stuff is so draining that I can't really listen to an album of theirs from start to finish, which is really the only way to listen to them. And while I like what little PT material I've heard, I'm not familiar enough with them to pass judgment.

I love Tool!

I have never heard of Porcupine Tree though.

I may have to go and check them out!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 6 2009, 09:30 AM)
I haven't really heard any Tool.  Where's a good place to start?

Aenima without a doubt. If you don't like that, don't bother trying any others.

I had no idea this Porcupine Tree were so f***ing popular over the ear orgasm that is Tool. I am so gonna have to try them out. This is why of course I didn't vote here, even though I was tempted believe me!! cat.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 5 2009, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 6 2009, 09:30 AM)
I haven't really heard any Tool.  Where's a good place to start?

Aenima without a doubt. If you don't like that, don't bother trying any others.

I had no idea this Porcupine Tree were so f***ing popular over the ear orgasm that is Tool. I am so gonna have to try them out. This is why of course I didn't vote here, even though I was tempted believe me!! cat.gif

Yep, Aenima or Lateralus. Once you have those, go for Undertow and if you're feeling brave, get 10,000 Days, although I'll warn you that after the first 2 songs, it is a rather week effort smilies-8579.png

Edited by priest_of_syrinx

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:44 PM)
Why this talk about who's better? It makes no sense. Pick the band you like and be happy, don't try to convince someone that "your" band is better.

I feel you. I think we have ran with the "which band do you prefer and why" angle which has been interesting.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 6 2009, 10:13 AM)
if you are starting on Tool go for Lateralus definately!

and if you want to get into Porcupine Tree go for Fear Of A Blank Planet.....then In Absentia.

Cheers Wilderness, should've asked that doh.gif

Although Lateralus is a great album, for an intro Aenima may be an easier ride overall smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 5 2009, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:44 PM)
Why this talk about who's better? It makes no sense. Pick the band you like and be happy, don't try to convince someone that "your" band is better.

I feel you. I think we have ran with the "which band do you prefer and why" angle which has been interesting.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 6 2009, 10:13 AM)

and if you want to get into Porcupine Tree go for Fear Of A Blank Planet.....then In Absentia.

Righteo. Very impressed with FOABP, much more than I thought I would be. This is definitely the type of band that will reveal more over time. So the journey of discovery continues with In Absentia next, followed by Darkwing. Theres no way one can compare this to Tool though, they're completely different beasts that BOTH need to be appreciated equally for what they do so well. I dont think PT have ever made it down this far, only Australia. I know we have a fairly decent mod-prog following down here though, so hopefully not too long to wait cat.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 5 2009, 06:13 PM)

goodpost.gif

Warning to people getting into PT.

VERY diverse catalog. Most of it is not at all like FOABP, Deadwing, or In Absentia. Not saying the rest is bad, it is very different.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 11 2009, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 8 2009, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 8 2009, 05:25 PM)
followed by Darkwing.

ummm i think you mean Deadwing

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think I prefer the name Darkwing. That sounds kickass! 1022.gif

laugh.gif I know. Make a great 80s goth album title as well cool.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 11 2009, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 5 2009, 06:13 PM)

goodpost.gif

Warning to people getting into PT.

VERY diverse catalog. Most of it is not at all like FOABP, Deadwing, or In Absentia. Not saying the rest is bad, it is very different.

To be honest Im still struggling with them. Fear was easy to listen to, but the rest I'm not so sure. I'm still hanging in there though!! wacko.gif

Tool 1022.gif not even in the same ballpark for me

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 12 2009, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 12 2009, 10:00 AM)
Tool  1022.gif  not even in the same ballpark for me

wait till after the show!

laugh.gif i am ready for the show but Tool is a much more heavy band and that is where my heart really is . i want to have my head blown off. laugh.gif

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 12 2009, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 12 2009, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 12 2009, 10:00 AM)
Tool  1022.gif  not even in the same ballpark for me

wait till after the show!

laugh.gif i am ready for the show but Tool is a much more heavy band and that is where my heart really is . i want to have my head blown off. laugh.gif

laugh.gif right on. i really think you will have a great time. their sound live is just incredible. they seem to be a bit heavier live too as is typical i guess.