Make an 10 song album from the Synth-era albums to make your ultimate Synth-era Rush album

to hell with goodhell RUSH Signals Hold Your Fire Power Windows Grace Under Pressure Elwood Peart Alex Zivo Gary Lee Winerib

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 95521 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

Any amount of songs from each album is good.

Here's mine:

Subdivisions
The Analog Kid
Turn the Page
Middletown Dreams
New World Man
The Big Money
Lock and Key
Marathon
Chemistry
Prime Mover

Sponsored Post

#2 ST3V

ST3V

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1690 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sports: Baseball (mainly) & Basketball, Gaming, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing/Hiking

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:32 PM

1. Distant Early Warning
2. Subdivisions
3. The Analog Kid
4. Manhattan Project
5. Marathon

6. Force Ten
7. Prime Mover
8. Territories
9. Digital Man
10. Second Nature

I did sacrifice some songs like The Big Money, Red Sector A, Time Stand Still for album flow purposes.

#3 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 35500 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

I'm on the fence about whether Signals is actually a synth era album. It certainly has more keyboards than any album previous but to me it's more of a transition album between the classic era (ending with MP) and the synth era, which to me starts with GUP...I think.

I know, it's kind of a separate topic, and maybe it's even been done before on this board, but I don't want to make my list until I decide where Signals sits.

#4 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 95521 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:40 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 29 September 2020 - 09:35 PM, said:

I'm on the fence about whether Signals is actually a synth era album. It certainly has more keyboards than any album previous but to me it's more of a transition album between the classic era (ending with MP) and the synth era, which to me starts with GUP...I think.

I know, it's kind of a separate topic, and maybe it's even been done before on this board, but I don't want to make my list until I decide where Signals sits.
It's in there.

#5 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35363 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

Kick it off with Subdivisions and close it out with Mission...

1 Subdivisions
2 Analog Kid
3 Digital Man
4 New World Man
5 Distant Early Warning
6 Marathon
7 Territories
8 Turn the Page
9 Prime Mover
10 Mission

#6 ST3V

ST3V

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1690 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sports: Baseball (mainly) & Basketball, Gaming, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing/Hiking

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

Alex even said himself that the guitar was too much in the background on Signals and the keyboards took over in some spots, which is what he wanted to change for P/G. There are definitely more guitars on P/G than on Signals

#7 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 66005 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:08 PM

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Red Sector A
The Body Electric
Grand Designs
Marathon
Prime Mover
Middletown Dreams
Mystic Rhythms
Mission

Bonus Track:
Turn The Page

#8 Cyclonus X-1

Cyclonus X-1

Yurts >>>>>>> Gers

• Members *
  • 73758 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sports.

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:13 PM

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Distant Early Warning
Emotion Detector
Chemistry
Lock and Key
The Weapon
Red Sector A
Manhattan Project
Countdown

#9 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:29 PM

A few would make my era-specific list any day, some are here only in the now. For my list, songs off of non-synth era albums count if they could have been on a synth era album.

Those always present, in no order:

Prime Mover
Territories
Kid Gloves
The Enemy Within
The Analog Kid
Vital Signs

Those that are shuffling in today:

Countdown
The Weapon
Middletown Dreams
Manhattan Project

Those that sometimes appear:

Lock and Key
High Water
Force Ten
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Subdivisions
Digital Man

#10 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 95521 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:52 PM

View PostCyclonus X-1, on 29 September 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Distant Early Warning
Emotion Detector
Chemistry
Lock and Key
The Weapon
Red Sector A
Manhattan Project
Countdown
I'm shocked you left out New World Man and The Analog Kid Mike! The Kid and NW Man are human beings, you must show pity! :huh:

#11 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 95521 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:54 PM

View Postlerxt1990, on 29 September 2020 - 10:08 PM, said:

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Red Sector A
The Body Electric
Grand Designs
Marathon
Prime Mover
Middletown Dreams
Mystic Rhythms
Mission

Bonus Track:
Turn The Page
Bonus Track! :16ton:

#12 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 66005 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 29 September 2020 - 10:54 PM, said:

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Red Sector A
The Body Electric
Grand Designs
Marathon
Prime Mover
Middletown Dreams
Mystic Rhythms
Mission

Bonus Track:
Turn The Page

Its an old fashioned easter egg.  While listening to Mystic Rhythms you make yourself a rye based manhattan the track shows up on your playlist.  :)

#13 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 95521 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:57 PM

View Postlerxt1990, on 29 September 2020 - 10:55 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 29 September 2020 - 10:54 PM, said:

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Red Sector A
The Body Electric
Grand Designs
Marathon
Prime Mover
Middletown Dreams
Mystic Rhythms
Mission

Bonus Track:
Turn The Page

Its an old fashioned easter egg.  While listening to Mystic Rhythms you make yourself a rye based manhattan the track shows up on your playlist.  :)
Actually that's my favourite track on HYF so it's a good bonus track to have. And for me easter eggs are high tech and new fangled! :lol:

#14 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:writing, travel, guitar, long balks on the weach

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:11 PM

This was a different thread somewhere.

Subdivisions
The Analog Kid
The Weapon
Red Sector A
Afterimage
Mystic Rhythms
Time Stand Still
Open Secrets
Lock and Key
Turn the Page

I like Signals and HYF very much...

#15 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 35500 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

View PostST3V, on 29 September 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

Alex even said himself that the guitar was too much in the background on Signals and the keyboards took over in some spots, which is what he wanted to change for P/G. There are definitely more guitars on P/G than on Signals

Yes, the guitars were more upfront in the mix on GUP, but it also has more songs centered around keyboards -- at the expense of the bass guitar. Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric, Red Lenses and Between the Wheels -- Geddy plays significant sections of those songs on the keyboard and not playing the bass, while Afterimage and Red Sector A are all keys and no bass. Geddy doesn't even bother to wear his bass for those songs -- Signals doesn't have any songs like that. I seem to recall one of the band members calling Signals "the last good mix of keys and guitar."

The guitar starts to disappear more on Power Windows, and HYF sees Alex fighting to be heard behind a wall of "adult contemporary radio" synths. So with all that, I'm still having trouble calling Signals a synth era album, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

#16 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 66005 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:26 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 29 September 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

Yes, the guitars were more upfront in the mix on GUP, but it also has more songs centered around keyboards -- at the expense of the bass guitar. Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric, Red Lenses and Between the Wheels -- Geddy plays significant sections of those songs on the keyboard and not playing the bass, while Afterimage and Red Sector A are all keys and no bass. Geddy doesn't even bother to wear his bass for those songs -- Signals doesn't have any songs like that. I seem to recall one of the band members calling Signals "the last good mix of keys and guitar."

The guitar starts to disappear more on Power Windows, and HYF sees Alex fighting to be heard behind a wall of "adult contemporary radio" synths. So with all that, I'm still having trouble calling Signals a synth era album, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Valid points.... interesting.

#17 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:36 PM

Yeah, the integration of keys with guitar was purrrrfect on MP and Signals.
Then Ged and Alex started seeing things differently. Neil was the only one really pulling his weight on Power Windows, for example.
The two frontmen didn't seem to recover a consistent balance until the Rupert Hine era.

Edited by Weatherman, 29 September 2020 - 11:39 PM.

#18 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:38 PM

You're overthinking it. Some synth era albums were more artistically successful (Signals), while others were less so (PW).

#19 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 10467 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:48 PM

For me the synth era truly begins with Subdivisions and ends with High Water. Not that synths weren't a major part of MP, PeW, Presto, and RTB, but Rush were never more keyboard centric than Signals through HYF. So here's ten songs to get someone into the synth quartet:

Side 1:
Subdivisions
The Big Money
Time Stand Still
Red Sector A
Marathon

Side 2:
Distant Early Warning
The Analog Kid
Force Ten
Losing It
Between The Wheels

(hidden CD track New World Man)

#20 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 35500 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:51 PM

View PostWeatherman, on 29 September 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

You're overthinking it. Some synth era albums were more artistically successful (Signals), while others were less so (PW).

Okay, I'll make a compromise for my list. The only songs I'll include from Signals are the really synth-y ones. Or, just one of them. Easier to keep it totallly synth-tastic that way, too.

Subdivisions
Distant Early Warning
Afterimage
Between the Wheels
Grand Designs
Marathon
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Lock and Key
Mission

(Hidden CD track - The Big Money)

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, 30 September 2020 - 12:04 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell, RUSH, Signals, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, Elwood Peart, Alex Zivo, Gary Lee Winerib

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users