Jump to content


_hi_water._ rant: Why I Hate Getting New Computers (Specifically Apple)


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Home Media, Rants

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:34 PM

Time to rant.

I love how lots of newer computers (mostly Apple) are expensive and don't add inputs/drives, yet some of the other ones (like HP) are cheaper and add lots of inputs/drives.

I love Apple... or, at least I did. Remember having an iPod, iPhone, iPad and... some of the Apple computers (MacBooks)? That stuff was awesome. I didn't want some of the others (like Samsung), mostly because they aren't as fast running or, you know... don't short circuit or get very hot?

Starting with MacBook Pro (I think), was when things got bad. That's what I am using right now, but anyways...
I see that there's a CD/DVD port, USB port, and... HDMI port? WHERE IS IT? Where's my HDMI port? What if I want to play YouTube and show it onto the TV? Pathetic much.

It only gets worse from there. In most newer computers, yes, not much seeing HDMI ports... ugh. And then the Apple Cult goes to dogs**t. Now... where the hell is the CD and DVD port? The video I will show explains how stupid and GREEDY Apple is now...
"ooH, wHAt aBoUT wiRed heADPhoneS? hAhAHahaha nO thAt's So 2004"
No, people still use wired headphones, CDs, AND DVDS!

It's like people are going forward in technology, but at the same time making things worse. Oh, and here's the video from Apple... makes me angry. :rage: :banghead:

:facepalm:


You lost me, Apple :16ton:
Maybe I should've titled this "Why I Hate Apple"

Edited by _hi_water._, 18 August 2020 - 08:40 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 10734 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:16 PM

I hear you.  I am a Mac fan from way back but big changes aren't always good.  I have a Mac mini because I had a really nice monitor from somewhere else and I like a desktop set up most of the day; but I had to buy a disc player/reader to use with it.

There is a Thunderbolt port on it and I bought a thunderbolt to HDMI cable to use to watch Youtube on TV.  I think it only cost around $10.00.  Is there a thunderbolt port on your Mac book?  I'm not that familiar with them.  I have the Mac mini and a tablet. And for all of my Apple love, I have a Samsung phone which I love. :lol:

Edited by blueschica, 18 August 2020 - 10:17 PM.


#3 zepphead

zepphead

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1845 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:

#4 custom55

custom55

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 8775 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    I have tickets for the following show(s) but are in question because of, you know:

    The Musical Box - June 2, 2021

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:47 AM

I'm 100% on Apple products.  No issues with any of them.

I bought a Mac Book Pro two years ago and I used their software to transfer my old 'stuff' off my old Mac.  It was seamless.

#5 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 26097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

I just got a Pro recently with my covid unemployment money I just got going back to Spring.  Yeah, it's not perfect but it's a big improvement over the PCs I've owned in the past.  I ain't looking back.  Sold my paid off iPad as well.

Also, I've had some experience with modern Macs due to the film and radio production classes I took in college years ago.

#6 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 27179 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:56 PM

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:
Dude, you're getting a Dell. :codger:

#7 zepphead

zepphead

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1845 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:
Dude, you're getting a Dell. :codger:
:fuckinputer:

#8 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 27179 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:
Dude, you're getting a Dell. :codger:
:fuckinputer:
Don't knock 'em. I like Dell...or is that because Linfield lost in Warsaw yesterday?  ;)

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1365 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 18 August 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

Time to rant.

I love how lots of newer computers (mostly Apple) are expensive and don't add inputs/drives, yet some of the other ones (like HP) are cheaper and add lots of inputs/drives.

I love Apple... or, at least I did. Remember having an iPod, iPhone, iPad and... some of the Apple computers (MacBooks)? That stuff was awesome. I didn't want some of the others (like Samsung), mostly because they aren't as fast running or, you know... don't short circuit or get very hot?

Starting with MacBook Pro (I think), was when things got bad. That's what I am using right now, but anyways...
I see that there's a CD/DVD port, USB port, and... HDMI port? WHERE IS IT? Where's my HDMI port? What if I want to play YouTube and show it onto the TV? Pathetic much.

It only gets worse from there. In most newer computers, yes, not much seeing HDMI ports... ugh. And then the Apple Cult goes to dogs**t. Now... where the hell is the CD and DVD port? The video I will show explains how stupid and GREEDY Apple is now...
"ooH, wHAt aBoUT wiRed heADPhoneS? hAhAHahaha nO thAt's So 2004"
No, people still use wired headphones, CDs, AND DVDS!

It's like people are going forward in technology, but at the same time making things worse. Oh, and here's the video from Apple... makes me angry. :rage: :banghead:

:facepalm:


You lost me, Apple :16ton:
Maybe I should've titled this "Why I Hate Apple"

Oh dude am I with you on this. Apple makes me f***ing insane.

#10 zepphead

zepphead

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1845 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:
Dude, you're getting a Dell. :codger:
:fuckinputer:
Don't knock 'em. I like Dell...or is that because Linfield lost in Warsaw yesterday?  ;)
Hahaha ..... you score a double whammy here ....

Whammy #1 My old desktop finally expired in February .... so a got myself a cheap and cheerful replacement .... a Dell!!! ... I kid you not!

Whammy #2 I collect Hard Rock pins from around the world and yesterday I got a random mail from ex-wife number 2 asking if I had one from Warsaw.... turns out her partner was in Warsaw to watch Linfield!

... Have you some sort of bugging device pointing at me???!!!!!! LOL!!

Edited by zepphead, 19 August 2020 - 03:10 PM.


#11 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1365 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:12 PM

My kids wrecked my last MacBook Pro with bubble soap.

I looked at the new macs and I was like -NAH.

So I got an iPad Pro. Took some adjustment, but I love it now. I record and edit all of my music on it - it’s a pretty killer semi-professional device. And it has a headphone jack. But it’s still an iPad so you’re going to be limited in terms of what programs you can run on it. But if you want to record your own songs and post cool vids to Instagram - it’s great.

I loved my 2007 era MacBook Pro - LOVED that computer. But it’s been a steady slide down hill since then.


Edited by chemistry1973, 19 August 2020 - 03:15 PM.


#12 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 27179 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 03:09 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:
Dude, you're getting a Dell. :codger:
:fuckinputer:
Don't knock 'em. I like Dell...or is that because Linfield lost in Warsaw yesterday?  ;)
Hahaha ..... you score a double whammy here ....

Whammy #1 My old desktop finally expired in February .... so a got myself a cheap and cheerful replacement .... a Dell!!! ... I kid you not!

Whammy #2 I collect Hard Rock pins from around the world and yesterday I got a random mail from ex-wife number 2 asking if I had one from Warsaw.... turns out her partner was in Warsaw to watch Linfield!

... Have you some sort of bugging device pointing at me???!!!!!! LOL!!
:lol: Well, I just thought since Dell is kinda cheap, that's what I was thinking you had. I only owned Dells myself. My wife has an HP. Tell me, how did that person watch the game? Is he connected with the team? I know there weren't any fans in the stadium. Anyway, I was rooting for Linfield, but they were very defensive-minded, and after the red card, there could only be one victor.

#13 zepphead

zepphead

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1845 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 03:09 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 19 August 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 19 August 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Being a poor impoverished pensioner, I cannot afford the extravagant prices Apple charge!! :codger:
Dude, you're getting a Dell. :codger:
:fuckinputer:
Don't knock 'em. I like Dell...or is that because Linfield lost in Warsaw yesterday?  ;)
Hahaha ..... you score a double whammy here ....

Whammy #1 My old desktop finally expired in February .... so a got myself a cheap and cheerful replacement .... a Dell!!! ... I kid you not!

Whammy #2 I collect Hard Rock pins from around the world and yesterday I got a random mail from ex-wife number 2 asking if I had one from Warsaw.... turns out her partner was in Warsaw to watch Linfield!

... Have you some sort of bugging device pointing at me???!!!!!! LOL!!
:lol: Well, I just thought since Dell is kinda cheap, that's what I was thinking you had. I only owned Dells myself. My wife has an HP. Tell me, how did that person watch the game? Is he connected with the team? I know there weren't any fans in the stadium. Anyway, I was rooting for Linfield, but they were very defensive-minded, and after the red card, there could only be one victor.
My understanding is that he is on the board of directors and travels with the team on an official basis. I myself don't really follow the local stuff ... too much like hard work to watch it lol! But, I am getting a Hard Rock Warsaw pin out of it so I won't complain!!

#14 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

Apple's proprietary bullshit has kept me away from them.  Way too much $$$ for what you get.

#15 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Home Media, Rants

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

oof juicy thread

Edited by _hi_water._, 20 August 2020 - 05:54 PM.


#16 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 27179 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

View Postgoose, on 20 August 2020 - 05:43 PM, said:

Apple's proprietary bullshit has kept me away from them.  Way too much $$$ for what you get.
That stupid Golden Knights commercial doesn't help, either.

#17 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Home Media, Rants

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 20 August 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 20 August 2020 - 05:43 PM, said:

Apple's proprietary bullshit has kept me away from them.  Way too much $$$ for what you get.
That stupid Golden Knights commercial doesn't help, either.
:drool:

#18 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 10426 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

Bear with me while I tell the story of why I'll never buy an Apple product.

In 2004 when I first got out of the military I needed a job and Best Buy was hiring for the holiday season so I went to work and they put me in the computer section. As anyone who has worked retail knows, one of the perks to doing that terrible job, is an employee discount on stuff in the store. As Christmas time neared, I thought I would get me one of those new-fangled iPod things so I could have music with me all the time.

One day when I was on break, I wandered over to that section of the store and was talking to the sales guy there and asked him about the employee discount on one of those and he said Apple doesn't give one, so there went my Christmas gift to myself. After that, I started paying attention to prices of Apple products and noticed that even in the BX/PX where only military or veterans can shop, and everything is slightly less expensive than if you bought it off base, the prices for Apple stuff was at full retail price.

Things may have changed, but they never have a sale unless it's a very small discount on last year's stuff to make room for new stuff, and a lot of people who use their stuff, behave like a cult. People literally camp out or stand in line for hours for a new phone. WTF is that?

Ultimately, as someone else pointed out, they make computers that are ridiculously expensive for what you get. A Dell or Asus with similar specs is much less expensive and the reliability of non-Apple stuff is vastly improved. As for their phones, you have one option whereas with Android, you have many, many options.

But hey, if you want to spend your money on overpriced stuff just because of the logo, gofer it. Also, Steve Jobs was an A, number one asshole to his family and employees and I'd never support that.

#19 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Home Media, Rants

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:24 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 17 October 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Bear with me while I tell the story of why I'll never buy an Apple product.

In 2004 when I first got out of the military I needed a job and Best Buy was hiring for the holiday season so I went to work and they put me in the computer section. As anyone who has worked retail knows, one of the perks to doing that terrible job, is an employee discount on stuff in the store. As Christmas time neared, I thought I would get me one of those new-fangled iPod things so I could have music with me all the time.

One day when I was on break, I wandered over to that section of the store and was talking to the sales guy there and asked him about the employee discount on one of those and he said Apple doesn't give one, so there went my Christmas gift to myself. After that, I started paying attention to prices of Apple products and noticed that even in the BX/PX where only military or veterans can shop, and everything is slightly less expensive than if you bought it off base, the prices for Apple stuff was at full retail price.

Things may have changed, but they never have a sale unless it's a very small discount on last year's stuff to make room for new stuff, and a lot of people who use their stuff, behave like a cult. People literally camp out or stand in line for hours for a new phone. WTF is that?

Ultimately, as someone else pointed out, they make computers that are ridiculously expensive for what you get. A Dell or Asus with similar specs is much less expensive and the reliability of non-Apple stuff is vastly improved. As for their phones, you have one option whereas with Android, you have many, many options.

But hey, if you want to spend your money on overpriced stuff just because of the logo, gofer it. Also, Steve Jobs was an A, number one asshole to his family and employees and I'd never support that.
:goodone:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users