15 members have voted

1. 1. band

• Deep Purple
    • Blue Oyster Cult
  2. 2. landmark live album

• Made In Japan
    • On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
  3. 3. Landmark Studio Album

Two proto-metal titans with winding histories and colorful names, but which do you choose???

Deep Purple by far.

And I'm a BOC fan too.

I forget, is Deep Purple your favorite band?

Purple for the clean sweep.

Uriah Heep vs. BOC?

I'd go with Uriah Heep. I think they've had good albums in the 70's, 80's 90's and the newer recent stuff is really good as well. BOC's best stuff is mostly in the 70's, I think there might be a couple of decent ones after Fire of Unknown Origin.

I thought Machine Head would be considered Purple's landmark album.

I prefer it, but In Rock is cited in many articles and lists as more significant and better. Not sure why but I went with it.

I'm not that familiar with the listed albums so I didn't vote. But based on radio hits and a few album cuts, I go with BOC 100%. They're just more nuanced and artistic which is what I generally prefer in a band. That's not to say they're more influential than Deep Purple though. There aren't many bands more influential than DP. Edited by Three Eyes

I prefer it, but In Rock is cited in many articles and lists as more significant and better. Not sure why but I went with it.

Not sure how it would be considered more significant when it doesn't have three of the bands most well known songs and sold quite a bit less than Machine Head. In Rock might be more enjoyable musically but it doesn't have the wider impact Machine Head does.

Not sure how it would be considered more significant when it doesn't have three of the bands most well known songs and sold quite a bit less than Machine Head. In Rock might be more enjoyable musically but it doesn't have the wider impact Machine Head does.

Sites I've read praising it claim it's the moment when Deep Purple really found their iconic sound and changed the game rock hard rock and heavy metal as well. I listened to it once or twice a few weeks ago, but was kind of put off by the rudimentary production style. Then again I've had Made In Japan for ages and I've always loved the live version of Child In Time, so I'm not sure the studio cut had much of a chance against it, and that may have influenced my perception of the rest of the album.

• Like 1

I do like some Purp. Especially Coverdale era stuff. But I love BOC. I really like that you put up Secret Treaties... great.

I go with the Cult