Did anyone release an obviously bad or even sub-par record in 1973?

Well  

11 members have voted

1. 1. anyone?

• yes, and I will post what album it was below
    • no
    • not that I'm aware of
    • another poll another meaningless last option because multiple choice is allowed

The Rolling Stones released Goats Head Soup and it was pretty disappointing after Exile on Main Street. Not obviously bad, but I don't care for the song Angie, and definitely sub par after the four album streak of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Good thread idea! I must admit I am stressing the brain cells trying to think of another miss on the album front and I can't (yet! :LOL: ) I guess I never thought about what a strong album year 1973 was! :)

I'm a big Stones fan and I love GHS. The production is off but the music is spectacular. Mr D, Silver Train, Winter, Star Star. Not a bad song on the album.

Angie, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago and Starf*cker are among my favorite Stones songs, and I love the band.

I dislike Angie tbh.

One of my favorite songs by anyone, actually.

• Like 3

Rush did. Those songs have never appeared on anything since then either

s/t came out in 74...

I believe he’s referring to the Can’t Fight it/NFA single, which was released on a 45 in 1973.

I was talking about albums in the OP, so I'd say that doesn't count

The Rolling Stones released Goats Head Soup and it was pretty disappointing after Exile on Main Street. Not obviously bad, but I don't care for the song Angie, and definitely sub par after the four album streak of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Good thread idea! I must admit I am stressing the brain cells trying to think of another miss on the album front and I can't (yet! :LOL: ) I guess I never thought about what a strong album year 1973 was! :)

I'm a big Stones fan and I love GHS. The production is off but the music is spectacular. Mr D, Silver Train, Winter, Star Star. Not a bad song on the album.

Angie, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago and Starf*cker are among my favorite Stones songs, and I love the band.

I dislike Angie tbh.

I respect your opinion.

• Like 1

I dislike Angie tbh.

I respect your opinion.

When my kids were little, I didn't know the words to many lullabyes. So when I sat in the glider with them rocking them to sleep, I'd sing Angie and Blackbird mostly. My daughter loves to sing along with the "Ay-un-gee," part even today.

• Like 3

I dislike Angie tbh.

I respect your opinion.

When my kids were little, I didn't know the words to many lullabyes. So when I sat in the glider with them rocking them to sleep, I'd sing Angie and Blackbird mostly. My daughter loves to sing along with the "Ay-un-gee," part even today.

When I was little my mom would sing me the opening lines of All My Loving as a lullaby. When I found out it was a real song years later I was verily shocked, lol.

• Like 3

I dislike Angie tbh.

I respect your opinion.

Aww really!?

That is so cute honestly! :heart:

• Like 3

s/t came out in 74...

I believe he’s referring to the Can’t Fight it/NFA single, which was released on a 45 in 1973.

Title says record and is vague enough to mean album or 45 but you clarify later on.

Of bands I like, admire and respect the only one I can think of at the moment is Genesis Live.

s/t came out in 74...

Title says record and is vague enough to mean album or 45 but you clarify later on.

Of bands I like, admire and respect the only one I can think of at the moment is Genesis Live.

I suppose it's vaguer than I could've made it, but mostly when I say record I do mean full length lp.

And Genesis Live? I mean, it's no seconds out, and the sound quality isn't the absolute greatest, but I quite enjoy that record myself.

s/t came out in 74...

I suppose it's vaguer than I could've made it, but mostly when I say record I do mean full length lp.

And Genesis Live? I mean, it's no seconds out, and the sound quality isn't the absolute greatest, but I quite enjoy that record myself.

s/t came out in 74...

I'm glad that you enjoy it but it really doesn't do much for me.

Seconds Out and Three (Four) Sides Live are my favorite commercially released Genesis live albums..

• Like 1

s/t came out in 74...

s/t came out in 74...

Seconds Out and Three (Four) Sides Live are my favorite commercially released Genesis live albums..

The Rainbow gig released in the Boxed set is better than G Live imo. And I love GLive. The Rainbow has an amazing Suppers Ready.

Are you just not into that period of Genesis?

s/t came out in 74...

s/t came out in 74...

The Rainbow gig released in the Boxed set is better than G Live imo. And I love GLive. The Rainbow has an amazing Suppers Ready.

My favorite era of Genesis does not involve Peter Gabriel. (His solo stuff is amazing, however.)

s/t came out in 74...

s/t came out in 74...

My favorite era of Genesis does not involve Peter Gabriel. (His solo stuff is amazing, however.)

Lol. You and Mick.

What strikes me from Snowdogged's list is the single-year multiple releases on it. It was such a period of songwriting creativity that bands used to crank out great albums one after the other.
  • Like 2

I know this thread has been here a couple of weeks, but I'm having a hard time answering it. Goat's Head Soup (and Beggar's Banquet) are my favorite Stones albums.

Hmmm... since I mentioned Bloodrock in a recent post, Their '73-onward output was pretty bad. Wimpier, and with a new singer that was totally nondescript.

Scratching for an answer here.

Not that this thread is about DSOTM, but it did come out in 73, and I just watched the classic albums episode about in on AXS tv, and it was phenomenal. It may not be my favorite Pink Floyd record, or my favorite record from 73, but it's pretty undeniably perfect.

Not that this thread is about DSOTM, but it did come out in 73, and I just watched the classic albums episode about in on AXS tv, and it was phenomenal. It may not be my favorite Pink Floyd record, or my favorite record from 73, but it's pretty undeniably perfect.

It suffers from over-exposure, but yeah, it's perfect. As Boy George famously said, DSOTM has just about every sound you'll ever want to hear on a record.
  • Like 2

I have heard of people saying selling england by the pound is one of the worst albums ever made but I strongly disagree.

I mean, I've always thought I was in the minority for not thinking it was their best... didn't think it ever got much worse criticism than that really.

It suffers from over-exposure, but yeah, it's perfect. As Boy George famously said, DSOTM has just about every sound you'll ever want to hear on a record.

I've never had more appreciation for On The Run than I did watching that doc.

• Like 1

I dislike Angie tbh.

Angie, the single, was released 45 years ago today.

I love Angie

• Like 4

I dislike Angie tbh.

I love Angie

"Ah-ayun-jeh!

Haaaayy-un-jay!

Where will it leeed us, from heeeeeeeyeere?"

Great song.

• Like 4

I dislike Angie tbh.

I love Angie

"Ah-ayun-jeh!

Haaaayy-un-jay!

Where will it leeed us, from heeeeeeeyeere?"

Great song.

The opening guitar work is truly beautiful. Wonderfully melancholy.

• Like 2

I dislike Angie tbh.

I love Angie

They played it when I saw them at the Toronto skydome in 2002. The entire crowd drowned Mick out singing along to it. One of my favorite concert memories.

• Like 4