Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson May Form "LeeLifeson" Group

Jag2112

Totally agree..there's always two sides to every story.

I love that Ged mentions in Time Stand Still, that regardless of how he feels about things, their collective agreement is such that if the 3 of them don't agree on something, they don't do it. That makes them the consummate band IMO.

Yes, that was nice. From the outside looking in, Geddy and Alex appear to be the class acts in all this and Neil not so much, but that's only because Neil isn't communicating with anyone about it (or anything else for that matter). Alex and Geddy still do interviews and are asked the obvious retirement question while no one hears from Neil. We all already know Neil is a very quirky and different guy - especially socially and communicating. So, again,it might all just be Neil being Neil - or something has changed internally.

Too bad no one has landed that interview with Neil where we can finally directly hear him say "I have retired" and get his take on it...

• Like 1

I think it's a little selfish of him not to make an official statement about his retirement unless he's keeping all his options open, selfish either way really, don't think announcing it through his 8 year old daughter is particularly professional!

Agree completely... I believe that as it stands atm, he has no plans to continue....However my guess is that way in the back of his mind, he's keeping the option open...

• Like 1

I think that during R40 it became clear that the end was near. Liam said as much on Time Stand Still. During Neil's hiatus, the band was in the middle of it's life span so I can see why they'd have been in a holding pattern back then. Given that R40 was understood to be their twilight, I believe they had/have a contingency in place with regard to their equipment.

During Neil's hiatus after T4E I don't think anybody thought "the band was in the middle of its lifespan". The 3 of them had already been together 25 years. It only became "the middle" when the end settled on 2015.

In the Beyond doc Gedy even stated "Oh, I thought it was over" in regards to the band during that hiatus. He definitely didn't think they were in a "holding pattern". Surely, it was a big factor in his making My Favorite Headache.

• Like 1

I think it's a little selfish of him not to make an official statement about his retirement unless he's keeping all his options open, selfish either way really, don't think announcing it through his 8 year old daughter is particularly professional!

I completely agree. And its one thing to tell the fans that way. Completely different thing to tell your bandmates that way, and judging by Geddy's reaction in the press, that was how he heard that it really was a final decision.

• Like 2

I understand your point but I see it a bit differently. Suggesting that a life long friend wouldn't do that also suggests that neither Ged nor Al would do anything of the sort to Neil. My take on it is that Neil was often put in a position of being pressured (indirectly or directly?) into touring when he really preferred not to...especially on R40. And I think he did so over and over over again. I don't doubt the sincerity of the friendship and the genuine affection between all 3 of them. I just think that the easy thing to do is blame Neil. When I try to think of the situation from each band members perspective, I see a bigger picture. I can see how Neil might feel like he's tired of giving into what Ged and Al have wanted to do. Just my opinion.

The truth is, Neil has/had been "controlling" the band to a LARGE degree for quite some time. On R40, he TOTALLY dictated the tour - # of shows, no overseas leg, etc, etc. To say that there was no hard feelings in the organization would just be lying, because there was. Of course, Geddy & Alex would never publicly say so, but I personally heard it from quite a few on the inside. The bottom line is that Neil is the ONLY one who wanted it to end. Understand though, there was nothing wrong with him wanting to retire, except that rather than just come out and say it, he basically left everyone in the dark - thus, the animosity.

Regardless, it's all dirty water under the bridge at this point. It was an extraordinary run for a rock band and I guess everyone should be happy with 40 years of great memories. I know that I am.

• Like 2

what animosity?

I knew a guy who once met a guy who knows a guy who briefly worked with a guy in the Rush organization who said there was animosity. :P

You know that guy too?

Yeah. He's a pretty good guy

Can't be any less reliable than info we get from Alex.
  • Like 1

I will never forgive Neil for getting old and fat.

It was riding his motorcycle from show to show that really did him in. He wouldn't be anywhere near as exhausted if he could of just relaxed and read books on a bus or a plane during the tours.
  • Like 4

It was riding his motorcycle from show to show that really did him in. He wouldn't be anywhere near as exhausted if he could of just relaxed and read books on a bus or a plane during the tours.

I keep hoping one day Neil will want to show Oliva the USA, Europe and Asia. Show her the business of music and touring.

I keep hoping one day Neil will want to show Oliva the USA, Europe and Asia. Show her the business of music and touring.

in the book Ghost Rider he was talking like the money he had then was going to run out if he did not start working again. Hopefully, in a year or so, he will start feeling the same way. We never know, he might want to build that nest egg back up.

in the book Ghost Rider he was talking like the money he had then was going to run out if he did not start working again. Hopefully, in a year or so, he will start feeling the same way. We never know, he might want to build that nest egg back up.

I think most millionaires have a different concept to the idea of the money running out to the rest of us lol!

• Like 3

I think most millionaires have a different concept to the idea of the money running out to the rest of us lol!

Yeah, I figured that was a given. LOL
  • Like 1

I completely agree. And its one thing to tell the fans that way. Completely different thing to tell your bandmates that way, and judging by Geddy's reaction in the press, that was how he heard that it really was a final decision.

Well, I don't think Geddy read Neil's latest book then, because it was obvious to me when I read the book that Neil was finished with touring. He also implied he wouldn't be writing any more books which I think is a real shame, because he's an excellent writer. On the other hand, I can't really remember which happened first - the release of the book, or Geddy's comments.

Neil has struck me as a bit of a jerk over the years in his dealings with fans and with political statements that were less than tasteful... but that having been said, he's been genuinely himself throughout; and he doesn't owe us anything.

Neil's career was not for us. It was for him. We're just privileged to have been around to experience it. If he wants out unceremoniously, that's between him, Geddy and Alex.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

It still just pisses me off how Neil has Geddy and Alex's balls in a vice grip.

LeeLifeson could have happened, but I can bet you that the reason why it's not happening now is because Neil probably heard the rumors and told them no. And instead of Geddy or Alex saying "I'm sorry, but this is something we want to do.", they instead put their tails between their legs and called off the whole thing.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I fully believe he did that on purpose.