Jump to content


Lyrics word cloud


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Boof

Boof

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Shetland, Scotland

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:16 AM

Just wondered if anyone's ever done a word cloud including all Rush lyrics.

Or a word-count?

For no particular reason I'm curious to see which are the most-used words - yes, even including I, the, and...

Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 31899 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:48 AM

Well, I'm pretty sure the highest count isn't "bumcakes".

#3 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5024 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

"captain" seems to show up in a few.
(Closer to the Heart, 2nd Nature, Time Stand Still)

It would be pretty easy to cut n' paste the lyrics into a spreadsheet, or even Word, and then use their search functions.
Easy, but time consuming!

#4 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 31899 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 August 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

"captain" seems to show up in a few.
(Closer to the Heart, 2nd Nature, Time Stand Still)

It would be pretty easy to cut n' paste the lyrics into a spreadsheet, or even Word, and then use their search functions.
Easy, but time consuming!

I might even go with "oh". Geddy probably screams "oh" two dozen times just in Finding My Way. That's GOT TO beat "captain" in all the songs you mentioned combined.

And then, how many other times does he sing "oh" on the debut? Heaps! Then a decade later he's still singing it in Territories. Ohhh....

Oh! Then "oh" reappears in the 21st century in Sweet Miracle.
Posted Image

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 10 August 2017 - 10:37 AM.


#5 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5024 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 August 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Well, I'm pretty sure the highest count isn't "bumcakes".

Interestingly enough, Rutsey's original lyric was in fact "Bumcake Man".
Rutsey had a very quirky sense of humour and, like Zappa, enjoyed "bum humour" [aka scatology] most of all.

The following titles were also recorded but scrapped at Rutsey's behest:
Finding my Bum
Need Some Bum
Bumcake Road
Rear Again
What You're Pooing

:16ton:

#6 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 20382 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostBoof, on 10 August 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

Just wondered if anyone's ever done a word cloud including all Rush lyrics.

Or a word-count?

Wonder no longer. "Wandering Hermit" did exactly that over at CP years ago. That thread was lost during one of the board crashes, though.

#7 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6341 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

dreams

#8 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6341 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Here's Subdivisions:  notice under "d"

a a action all all alone An And and And Any attraction backs bars basement be Be be between border bright But cars cast cast caught charms city city Conform cool Cruising desires Detached Drawn dream dreamer dreams dreams drift escape far feel firefly flight for for fringes future geometric Get Growing halls have help high In In In In In In In in insulated into is it Just lighted lights like like Lit living lose malls mass memory might misfit moths night nights no Nowhere of of of of of of old on on one Opinions or or or Or order out out out pre-decided production provided quiet race rats relax restless restless school seems sell shopping sided small smooth so so Some somewhere Somewhere soothe Sprawling start streets subdivided Subdivisions Subdivisions suburbs the the the the The the the the the the the the the the the the The the the the their their ticking timeless to to to to to To traps truth unattractive unknown unlit up up we will youth zone

#9 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6341 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

And here's In the Mood:

a a all and and And baby baby baby baby baby baby baby Baby come come crazy crazy deep do Don't down drive eight everything's eyes fast feel feel find For getting go gone good got got hazy Hey Hey Hey hey hey honey hour I I I I I I I I I'll I'm I'm I'm in inside is is it it's I've just just just know last late learn lies like like little make make makin' me me me me me mood move my 'n' night now now Now now one Ooh out quarter really rock roll roll said sit smile so style talk talk tell The the the the the them these times to to to to to to to tryin' tryin' Until want want way Way Well Well Well Well Well what where'd Where'd while with woman Won't Won't Yes you you you you you you you you you you you your your you're you're

Edited by toymaker, 10 August 2017 - 03:27 PM.


#10 Boof

Boof

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Shetland, Scotland

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 August 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

"captain" seems to show up in a few.
(Closer to the Heart, 2nd Nature, Time Stand Still)

It would be pretty easy to cut n' paste the lyrics into a spreadsheet, or even Word, and then use their search functions.
Easy, but time consuming!

Anywhere got the lyrics in a cut 'n' pastable format? e.g. MS Word

#11 Nate2112

Nate2112

    The Lil' Eskimo

  • Members *
  • 3092 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Quebec
  • Interests:Writing, Worldbuilding, Mapmaking, Programming, Composing Music

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostBoof, on 28 October 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 August 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

"captain" seems to show up in a few.
(Closer to the Heart, 2nd Nature, Time Stand Still)

It would be pretty easy to cut n' paste the lyrics into a spreadsheet, or even Word, and then use their search functions.
Easy, but time consuming!

Anywhere got the lyrics in a cut 'n' pastable format? e.g. MS Word

Here. Go through the full lengths and click show lyrics on each song.

https://www.metal-ar...bands/Rush/1206

Edited by Nate2112, 28 October 2017 - 11:26 PM.


#12 Boof

Boof

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Shetland, Scotland

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostNate2112, on 28 October 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

View PostBoof, on 28 October 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 August 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

"captain" seems to show up in a few.
(Closer to the Heart, 2nd Nature, Time Stand Still)

It would be pretty easy to cut n' paste the lyrics into a spreadsheet, or even Word, and then use their search functions.
Easy, but time consuming!

Anywhere got the lyrics in a cut 'n' pastable format? e.g. MS Word

Here. Go through the full lengths and click show lyrics on each song.

https://www.metal-ar...bands/Rush/1206

Excellent stuff, Nate2112 - I think that'll be workable. Just gonna be a lotta work :D

#13 turnleftaticeland

turnleftaticeland

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Pennsylvania, US (in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown)
  • Interests:Rush, Yes, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, etc.
    piano, guitar, bass, singing
    Rush
    writing
    reading
    the internet
    Rush

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

Just spent two hours making one, only for the website to decide it didn't want to work. Sigh. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe on a computer instead of a phone this time.

#14 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59164 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

View Postturnleftaticeland, on 03 November 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Just spent two hours making one, only for the website to decide it didn't want to work. Sigh. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe on a computer instead of a phone this time.
One hell of a first post.

:notworthy:

#15 MMCXII

MMCXII

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6215 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton Alberta
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

This reminds me.. I've often wondered how many individual notes are contained in an entire Rush concert. You could even break it down to the individual members. I'm guessing Neil would produce the most using all four limbs..

#16 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 82500 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 10 August 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Here's Subdivisions:  notice under "d"                

a                                                        a                                            action                                            all                                            all                                            alone                                            An                                            And                                            and                                            And                                            Any                                            attraction                                            backs                                            bars                                            basement                                            be                                            Be                                            be                                            between                                            border                                            bright                                            But                                            cars                                            cast                                            cast                                            caught                                            charms                                            city                                            city                                            Conform                                            cool                                            Cruising                                            desires                                            Detached                                            Drawn                                            dream                                            dreamer                                            dreams                                            dreams                                            drift                                            escape                                            far                                            feel                                            firefly                                            flight                                            for                                            for                                            fringes                                            future                                            geometric                                            Get                                            Growing                                            halls                                            have                                            help                                            high                                            In                                            In                                            In                                            In                                            In                                            In                                            In                                            in                                            insulated                                            into                                            is                                            it                                            Just                                            lighted                                            lights                                            like                                            like                                            Lit                                            living                                            lose                                            malls                                            mass                                            memory                                            might                                            misfit                                            moths                                            night                                            nights                                            no                                            Nowhere                                            of                                            of                                            of                                            of                                            of                                            of                                            old                                            on                                            on                                            one                                            Opinions                                            or                                            or                                            or                                            Or                                            order                                            out                                            out                                            out                                            pre-decided                                            production                                            provided                                            quiet                                            race                                            rats                                            relax                                            restless                                            restless                                            school                                            seems                                            sell                                            shopping                                            sided                                            small                                            smooth                                            so                                            so                                            Some                                            somewhere                                            Somewhere                                            soothe                                            Sprawling                                            start                                            streets                                            subdivided                                            Subdivisions                                            Subdivisions                                            suburbs                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            The                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            The                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            their                                            their                                            ticking                                            timeless                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            To                                            traps                                            truth                                            unattractive                                            unknown                                            unlit                                            up                                            up                                            we                                            will                                            youth                                            zone

View Posttoymaker, on 10 August 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

And here's In the Mood:

                                                        a                                            a                                            all                                            and                                            and                                            And                                            baby                                            baby                                            baby                                            baby                                            baby                                            baby                                            baby                                            Baby                                            come                                            come                                            crazy                                            crazy                                            deep                                            do                                            Don't                                            down                                            drive                                            eight                                            everything's                                            eyes                                            fast                                            feel                                            feel                                            find                                            For                                            getting                                            go                                            gone                                            good                                            got                                            got                                            hazy                                            Hey                                            Hey                                            Hey                                            hey                                            hey                                            honey                                            hour                                            I                                            I                                            I                                            I                                            I                                            I                                            I                                            I                                            I'll                                            I'm                                            I'm                                            I'm                                            in                                            inside                                            is                                            is                                            it                                            it's                                            I've                                            just                                            just                                            just                                            know                                            last                                            late                                            learn                                            lies                                            like                                            like                                            little                                            make                                            make                                            makin'                                            me                                            me                                            me                                            me                                            me                                            mood                                            move                                            my                                            'n'                                            night                                            now                                            now                                            Now                                            now                                            one                                            Ooh                                            out                                            quarter                                                                                         really                                            rock                                            roll                                            roll                                            said                                            sit                                            smile                                            so                                            style                                            talk                                            talk                                            tell                                            The                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            the                                            them                                            these                                            times                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            to                                            tryin'                                            tryin'                                            Until                                            want                                            want                                            way                                            Way                                            Well                                            Well                                            Well                                            Well                                            Well                                            what                                            where'd                                            Where'd                                            while                                            with                                            woman                                            Won't                                            Won't                                            Yes                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            you                                            your                                            your                                            you're                                            you're

Nice...!  :D

Edit to add: hells bells - wtf?!  :o

Edited by Babycat, 24 November 2017 - 05:17 PM.


#17 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 82500 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

View Postturnleftaticeland, on 03 November 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Just spent two hours making one, only for the website to decide it didn't want to work. Sigh. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe on a computer instead of a phone this time.

Welcome to TRF.  :hi:

#18 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 73892 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

"Half" would occupy far too large a portion of the total area as it is about every eighth word in a lyrical effort that would have looked bad if it was turned in by a sixth grader.

Edited by laughedatbytime, 24 November 2017 - 05:48 PM.


#19 ozzy85

ozzy85

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3460 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In the deep dark forest where the wolves run.
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 August 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 August 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Well, I'm pretty sure the highest count isn't "bumcakes".

Interestingly enough, Rutsey's original lyric was in fact "Bumcake Man".
Rutsey had a very quirky sense of humour and, like Zappa, enjoyed "bum humour" [aka scatology] most of all.

The following titles were also recorded but scrapped at Rutsey's behest:
Finding my Bum
Need Some Bum
Bumcake Road
Rear Again
What You're Pooing

:16ton:
...uhhh,

In The Bum

:unsure:

#20 Boof

Boof

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Shetland, Scotland

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:44 AM

Zoinks - just realised that, if I wanted to do a word cloud of every word that gets sung, I'd need to C & P the choruses (where they exist and are designated as such) into the lyrics.

Maybe have to wait until retirement :codger:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users