Random Fun/Interesting Facts in Music

Bigbobby10

So how come nearly all the Rush song say Lee/Lifeson with no mention of the lyrics? There must be some legal thing behind it unless they never expected anyone to cover a Rush song and make a ton of money from it. And for all I know the Canadian laws are different from the US ones. After all, Michael Jackson owned the rights to the Beatles songs for years and refused Paul's offers to buy them back

What do you mean? On nearly every Rush album of the 80's and inward, the liner notes say music by Lee/Lifeson, lyrics by Peart. All royalties are split equally among them. In their case it's a logical way to go, since all contribute equally.

That's something a lot of young bands don't realize early on, that songwriting royalties aren't necessarily split evenly among all members of a band. It's destroyed a lot bands, when members start seeing one person buying a mansion and a Porsche, and they're still in an apartment.

So how come nearly all the Rush song say Lee/Lifeson with no mention of the lyrics? There must be some legal thing behind it unless they never expected anyone to cover a Rush song and make a ton of money from it. And for all I know the Canadian laws are different from the US ones. After all, Michael Jackson owned the rights to the Beatles songs for years and refused Paul's offers to buy them back

What do you mean? On nearly every Rush album of the 80's and inward, the liner notes say music by Lee/Lifeson, lyrics by Peart. All royalties are split equally among them. In their case it's a logical way to go, since all contribute equally.

That's something a lot of young bands don't realize early on, that songwriting royalties aren't necessarily split evenly among all members of a band. It's destroyed a lot bands, when members start seeing one person buying a mansion and a Porsche, and they're still in an apartment.

Then they are stupid.

I guess it depends on where you look for credits, because I've seen lots that just say Lee/Lifeson. And in some times and places the lyrics writer gets more or less than the writer(s) of the music. Also this inquiring mind wants to know whether Al and Ged legally changed their names. I know Geddy legally changed Gary to Geddy but don't know about the surname. And I have no idea about Al.

While Deep Purple were recording 'Smoke on the Water' police were banging on the studio door trying to get in but roadies were holding the door shut.
  • Like 2

Axl Rose is an anagram for 'oral sex'

Also Guns and Roses is an anagram for 'all washed up' lol

• Like 3

Comedian Phil Hartman designed Steely dan's album cover Aja
  • Like 5

Gene Roddenberry thought Star Trek was going to be a failure, never turning a profit. In order to try to make a few bucks, without telling the composer, he added lyrics to the theme song, basically screwing the composer out of 50% of the royalties, which has turned out to be over 20 million dollars because of residuals and spinoffs and movies. Roddenberry never intended the lyrics would be used. The composer, Alexander Courage, was so pissed he refused to score any more episodes, which resulted in possible millions more lost. Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

Didn't know this until today. Frank Zappa's Band "The Mothers of Invention" was originally suppose to be called The m***********s, but they had to change their name, which is how they eventually came to The Mothers of Invention

*Edit* Forgot it censors bad words, but you might get the idea of the word with mother---- in it.

Edited by Bigbobby10

Comedian Phil Hartman designed Steely dan's album cover Aja

:o

Really? I never knew that.

He also designed album covers for the bands Poco and America.
  • Like 2

1. Earth Wind and Fire's Song "September" was made for their greatest hits album because they did not have enough hits song. So the song was basically on the greatest hits before it actually became a hit

I believe "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers has a similar story. It became a huge hit.

I thought of the Tom Petty track too. You are right, it was a bonus song on his Greatest Hits album.

Prior to replacing Ace as the lead guitarist of KISS, Vinnie Vincent was the staff songwriter for the TV shows Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi .. Vinnie wrote the duets Scott Baio and Erin Moran would sing together ..

Vinnie also wrote and recorded with Laura Nyro and Dan Hartman

Along with SNL bassist/guitarist GE Smith, Vinnie played on and was in the infamous Instant Replay video

695306af3d60a062e1a55b663deca491--vinnie-vincent-kiss.jpg

• Like 2