Sex Pistols vs Ramones?

Texas King

Sex Pistols vs Ramones?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Sex Pistols vs Ramones?

• Sex Pistols
    • Ramones

Which of these big punk rock bands you like better?

My personal preference are Sex Pistols, hands down.

While the Ramones are infinitely more likeable people, Never Mind the Bollocks destroys anything the Ramones put out.

Sex Pistols.

I'm not sure I'd agree ... Johnny Ramone turned out to be a very unpleasant person

• Like 1

While the Ramones are infinitely more likeable people, Never Mind the Bollocks destroys anything the Ramones put out.

Sex Pistols.

I'm not sure I'd agree ... Johnny Ramone turned out to be a very unpleasant person

I think all those Johnny Ramone tribute concerts say otherwise.

Another tough choice but the sex pistols win for shocking people and fukking with their minds. Bodies. Pretty vacant. Submission. Etc.

Holidays in the sun.

Never Mind The Bollocks is a great sounding album, and the songs are there, no question .. The difference between the Pistols and The Ramones from my view was that the Pistols were actors, and The Ramones were kids who transformed themselves into a pop culture gang based on what they loved, and wanted to be ..

The shock factor was contrived, which to me, makes it very un-shocking ... good album, but The Ramones were sincere, which IMHO is an absolute necessity in this type of music

I disagree as it was mind that was fukked with and i loved it. As a young lad i had never heard anything like it.

The music of the sex pistols has a far greater shock value imo. Far angrier and considerably more vulgar. Good stuff.

We're a happy family!

Sex Pistols.

You think Joey wrote The KKK Took My Baby Away because Johnny was a great guy ??

Here's Johnny talking about Joey's death - judge for yourself

Sex Pistols.

You think Joey wrote The KKK Took My Baby Away because Johnny was a great guy ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raRyRuxlPOs

So? It's no secret they hated each other. All I know is I read several articles and interviews where there was admiration and friendship for Joey Ramone among a pretty diverse group of people.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/johnnys-last-stand-20040916

Sex Pistols.

So? It's no secret they hated each other. All I know is I read several articles and interviews where there was admiration and friendship for Joey Ramone among a pretty diverse group of people.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/johnnys-last-stand-20040916

I'm talking about Johnny Ramone, and at first, so were you ..

Joey was universally loved from what I understand .... John Cummings was, for many sources including his own mouth, a cold unlikeable man

Sex Pistols.

http://www.rollingst...-stand-20040916

Joey was universally loved from what I understand .... John Cummings was, for many sources including his own mouth, a cold unlikeable man

I lazily and mistakenly typed Joey instead of Johnny. Anyway, Johnny Ramone was admired and liked, despite at times being difficult and stubborn. His friends seemed to be a diverse bunch of people. I do have a theory why you focus on Johnny Ramone being a so-called cold, unlikable man. That's for another forum, though. :hail:

Sex Pistols.

I lazily and mistakenly typed Joey instead of Johnny. Anyway, Johnny Ramone was admired and liked, despite at times being difficult and stubborn. His friends seemed to be a diverse bunch of people. I do have a theory why you focus on Johnny Ramone being a so-called cold, unlikable man. That's for another forum, though. :hail:

oy vey ist mir

Then how do you explain the fact that I like Uncle Ted Nugent ?

I responded to Goose when he said that The Ramones were infinitely more likeable people .. From my perspective, Johnny Ramone was probably the most ornery of the lot

I have a lot of respect for Johnny Ramone - he was sincere and honest, but that doesn't mean that I like the things he did, esp his cold act towards Joey's death

Sex Pistols.

oy vey ist mir

Then how do you explain the fact that I like Uncle Ted Nugent ?

I responded to Goose when he said that The Ramones were infinitely more likeable people .. From my perspective, Johnny Ramone was probably the most ornery of the lot

I have a lot of respect for Johnny Ramone - he was sincere and honest, but that doesn't mean that I like the things he did, esp his cold act towards Joey's death

Read the Rolling Stone article I linked. The Ramones' manager Danny Fields listed Johnny the third in monsterliness behind Dee Dee and Joey. Interesting. Sometimes it's not what you see in public that defines a personality.

I also like Ted Nugent, but definitely not for his tact and sensitivity. If Johnny Ramone is unpleasant then Ted Nugent is downright repugnant.

• Like 1

The Ramones were so much fun live, while the pistols were frankly a shambles, with Vicious hardly playing a note.

More a pantomime than a band. I was pretty happy when they imploded so soon.

They were so obviously fake.

All these guys pretending they were "street" when in reality, they were all from comfortable backgrounds.

Rotten now admits he was a YES fan when young. Jones went all heavy rock when he left the pistols, and PIL

was musically light years ahead of anything Rotten did with them.

• Like 1

The Ramones were so much fun live, while the pistols were frankly a shambles, with Vicious hardly playing a note.

All these guys pretending they were "street" when in reality, they were all from comfortable backgrounds.

Rotten now admits he was a YES fan when young. Jones went all heavy rock when he left the pistols, and PIL

Lydon was good friends with Keith Emerson.

Not that it matters how 'street' the pistols were, for how good the music is, or even what your definition of street is. :huh:

Given heroin as birthday present from your mother, does not constitute, a comfortable background in my book.

Pistols were from working class largely 'uncomfortable' backgrounds. Jones was from a broken home, his father left when he was 2, kicked out of his home at 16, stole music equipment to kick start the band, spending 18 months in a reform school. Hardly pretending, just on a ride of a lifetime.

Yes Lydon likes music he is quite partial to progressive rock, as well as other types.

Don't know where you get the info from, its skewed to say the least.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

That was awesome! That is exactly what I want to do when I hear the Ramones-get up jump around and sing. I miss them - they truly just kicked ass in their own way. If I were much younger, I would start a tribute band for them just for them to live on. I'm off from work today... where is my Ibanez...

• Like 4

Like an both, but I've listened to Never Mind the Bollocks many more times than the Ramones.

Having said, that, the Clash were orders of magnitude better than both.

• Like 1