Am I the only one who feels somewhat underwhelmed?

CantStopThinkingBig

Don't get me wrong, it's a good album... and it blows away S&A (which isn't hard to do). But I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much... maybe it was all the anticipation. I also feel like the 3 singles we got to hear ahead of time are the main highlights of the album, so everything else is just "meh". I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you need to stop thinking Big

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 20 2012, 08:23 PM)
Clearly you're wrong and your opinion is worthless

>_____>

confused13.gif

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 20 2012, 08:18 PM)
I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

yes.gif

biggrin.gif

You spend 5 years waiting for an album and you'd hope they would find a way to break away from just these standard issue rock songs they've been doing since T4E.

They seem to have no idea what actually made them great which is really interesting chord progressions, vocal melodies that are very pleasing, original arrangements. Now they just write stuff thats not very different than what many rock bands are doing right now.

So yeah, very underwhelmed. I cant just pretend this is some killer album like Hemispheres or Moving Pictures just because Rush wrote it. This is not the same Rush.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 08:47 PM)
You spend 5 years waiting for an album and you'd hope they would find a way to break away from just these standard issue rock songs they've been doing since T4E.

They seem to have no idea what actually made them great which is really interesting chord progressions, vocal melodies that are very pleasing, original arrangements. Now they just write stuff thats not very different than what many rock bands are doing right now.

So yeah, very underwhelmed. I cant just pretend this is some killer album like Hemispheres or Moving Pictures just because Rush wrote it. This is not the same Rush.

Okay, there's #1.

Next up, WCFIELDS, ReflectedLight, GeminiRising...

Who am I missing here? tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, it's a good album... and it blows away S&A (which isn't hard to do). But I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much... maybe it was all the anticipation. I also feel like the 3 singles we got to hear ahead of time are the main highlights of the album, so everything else is just "meh". I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

Ive listened to it a few times now and have a couple of the tunes staying with me.

I'm now burdened with the realization that they have cut and pasted the chorus arrangements for the past 10 years.

So many people are leaning towards The Garden and personally I love it. And the reason is its melodic and original.

as for the rest of the album I agree. meh.

I agree the 3 singles are the best of the album.

The album is losing ground with me. First impressions were that it is the best since Power Windows. And it probably is, but that's not saying anything tremendous.

Much of the decline to me may be simply the sound. I can't get past it. Two songs into a listen, no matter the starting point and I'm frustrated and kicking it out.

I'm less in love than I was a week ago.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 20 2012, 09:02 PM)

I agree the 3 singles are the best of the album.

The album is losing ground with me. First impressions were that it is the best since Power Windows. And it probably is, but that's not saying anything tremendous.

Much of the decline to me may be simply the sound. I can't get past it. Two songs into a listen, no matter the starting point and I'm frustrated and kicking it out.

I'm less in love than I was a week ago.

I had just the opposite reaction last night, listening on good Sony sound-isolating earbuds at the gym. It's still growing on me. 1022.gif

It's a great album for the elliptical, unlike S&A, because the pace never drags. It really goes by quickly, and I'm appreciating the album more as a whole rather then listening to two or three tracks in the car.

Still trying to figure out the sound. unsure.gif It sounds great on my desktop Polk Audio speakers and on headphones and earbuds, but not so great in the car.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

You should find a band that hasn't put out an album you liked in 30 years. Go to their fan website and bemoan that fact several times per day for years, and pretend you could write better songs (but don't actually do it of course). You will feel better, as long as you block out how pathetic and attention-whorish that seems.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 20 2012, 09:37 PM)
This is what, the 43rd such thread? Just wondering.  laugh.gif

Just create one "Clockwork Angels isnt great" thread and all you non takers can party away in it, complain about the album all you want and not bother the rest of us who love the album and are celebrating it. Maybe this thread can be the one. If so designated, I shall post no more and leave you non takers to bitch and moan away.... wink.gif You do have a right to do this....just do it in one place.... biggrin.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 20 2012, 09:41 PM)
You should find a band that hasn't put out an album you liked in 30 years. Go to their fan website and bemoan that fact several times per day for years, and pretend you could write better songs (but don't actually do it of course). You will feel better, as long as you block out how pathetic and attention-whorish that seems.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 08:47 PM)

You're still here despite hating new Rush, this forum, and the mods? confused13.gif

tongue.gif

Yeah, I hear that Trenken can sing and play bass as well as Geddy on Power Windows, but I've never seen YouTube clips or anything like that. confused13.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 20 2012, 09:49 PM)

tongue.gif

Yeah, I hear that Trenken can sing and play bass as well as Geddy on Power Windows, but I've never seen YouTube clips or anything like that. confused13.gif

Don't know about that, but he is really good at blowing smoke out his ass

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 20 2012, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 20 2012, 09:49 PM)

tongue.gif

Don't know about that, but he is really good at blowing smoke out his ass

laugh.gif

You're not alone.....I think the album is ok (way better than S&A)...but it's not an album that will have lots of replay value with me. I think part of it has to do with the fact I'm a little burnt out on the 3 singles.... Edited by WCFIELDS