Birthday Show in El Paso

Kelly D

This is lifted mostly from my posts on rushisaband.com but I thought I'd post my story here, too. . .

I got a front row ticket, Alex side, to the El Paso show. I made a sign saying it was my 23rd birthday (cos, well, it was) with caricatures of the Gershon's Haus of Sausage guys and me and hung it on the barrier for part of the show. . . Alex saw it during "The Spirit of Radio" and mouthed "Happy Birthday!" to me. I could've gone home ecstatic at that, but it got way, way better. . .

Not only did Tony G. give my friend and me picks before the show, I had a conversation with John Arrowsmith (dapper chap that he is) and he took a pic of my sign for the Rush on the Road pics. My friend also got a roadie to give me a red Geddy pick. We had a blast in the front row- it was a truly special time, especially since the guys goofed during "The Spirit of Radio" and "Workin' Them Angels"!

Al's roadie Kevin gave me a blue R30 pick saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY" on the side of his signature during the beginning of "Tom Sawyer." He told me "He [Alex] did this during the break" and I gazed at it, shocked. No freakin' kidding! HOW DID HE KNOW MY NAME?!

Shortly after that, I started crying, and Al started making fun of me from the stage (throwback to Cleveland, where I cried during "Closer to the Heart" and he made the same face at me). I pointed at him and jokingly told him to "shut up! Stop mocking me!" with a huge smile on my face.

Michael Mosbach (Praetorian) also came up to me in the beginning of "Red Barchetta" and handed me a pair of Neil's used sticks biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif They have the alchemy symbol for copper on them, they're scuffed up, and they're beautiful. Michael said something to me but I couldn't make out what he said.

What happened next though was something I NEVER imagined could be:

I accidentally took a picture with flash during "Caravan." I freaked out and then a few minutes later during Neil's solo Al's same roadie Kevin walked up to me and said "Come with me, and take your camera." I thought he was going to confiscate my camera!

I asked "Am I in trouble?!" and Kevin said, "You are definitely not in trouble." What I saw, as we walked on the side of the stage, was Alex sitting listening to Neil's solo. He got up and I threw my arms around him and said "THANK YOU." As Kevin fiddled with the camera I said, "Ya know, I've always wanted to ask you something- 'do you like to party?'" - a stupid little aside from the Trailer Park Boys movie Countdown to Liquor Day. He laughed and we finally got the picture to work. I hugged him again (nice and sweaty) and said that I met him last year and that I am so thankful for him and a bunch of other coherent hooey. I also told him "Bubbles shoulda been your guitar tech for the Boston show" - alluding of course to the infamous "Still No Guitar" rant. . . he liked that, too biggrin.gif After some more Alex snugs and more wishing of a happy birthday, I left and returned to my spot in front row.

Here's the pic. We look so happy! wub.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/dancingdays/random/IMG_0662.jpg

And that's not all!

During the beginning of "Closer to the Heart" I just rested my head on the barrier and cried a little bit because I was so flippin' happy. I pulled out my sign (with my hand-painted picture of the three Gershon's Haus characters and me) and when I caught Alex's eye, I pointed out that Slobovich and I were right next to each other, mirroring the picture we had taken minutes earlier. He grinned at me.

During "2112: Overture" Geddy came over to our side of the stage and I pointed out Gershon on my sign to him and he made a face at me ;D

Alex tossed me a Slobovich shirt and I wore it for the encore. It's the one that said "Books are for tourists"!

Lots of grooving, lots of gaffes, and a general liveliness was there last night! Alex was goofing around, smelling his pits during "Tom Sawyer," waving at random people in the audience, and joking with the girls who stood with Darin and me in the front row.

At the end, when they were waving goodbye to everyone, I blew Alex a kiss and he blew one back to me. Absolutely incredible!!! 1022.gif

Hey, it's Roleplay4life from DevART. 8D

I said it there and I'll say it again -- you are lucky beyond imagination!

How cool your birthday fell on the day of a RUSH concert! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif What an epic night.

Kelly - that's THE STORY!!! I read it on RIAB but I have to respond to it here too - this is sooo freakin' awesome - still can't find words -

Happy Birthday from Germany

Cheers Grey

I'm glad you posted your story here. You alluded to it on FB and I couldn't find it on RIAB.

What an awesome b-day for you Kelly. I'm so happy that you got this great experience and all the goodies too!

BTW when Michael brought me my sticks he said these are from Neil...guessing he might have said something similar to you!

Rush Rocks!!!!

Sorry if I'm new and you dunno me, but that's so awesome. The crowd was great too! It was one of the best shows for me. I can't even imagine how cool it was for you! Happy birthday!

That is so incredibly freaking fantastic!!! You lucky girl cool.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 18 2011, 09:53 AM)
This is lifted mostly from my posts on rushisaband.com but I thought I'd post my story here, too. . .

I got a front row ticket, Alex side, to the  El Paso show. I made a sign saying it was my 23rd birthday (cos, well, it was) with caricatures of the Gershon's Haus of Sausage guys and me and hung it on the barrier for part of the show. . . Alex saw it during "The Spirit of Radio" and mouthed "Happy Birthday!" to me. I could've gone home ecstatic at that, but it got way, way better. . .

Not only did Tony G. give my friend and me picks before the show, I had a conversation with John Arrowsmith (dapper chap that he is) and he took a pic of my sign for the Rush on the Road pics. My friend also got a roadie to give me a red Geddy pick. We had a blast in the front row- it was a truly special time, especially since the guys goofed during "The Spirit of Radio" and "Workin' Them Angels"!

Al's roadie Kevin gave me a blue R30 pick saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY" on the side of his signature during the beginning of "Tom Sawyer." He told me "He [Alex] did this during the break" and I gazed at it, shocked. No freakin' kidding! HOW DID HE KNOW MY NAME?!

Shortly after that, I started crying, and Al started making fun of me from the stage (throwback to Cleveland, where I cried during "Closer to the Heart" and he made the same face at me). I pointed at him and jokingly told him to "shut up! Stop mocking me!" with a huge smile on my face.

Michael Mosbach (Praetorian) also came up to me in the beginning of "Red Barchetta" and handed me a pair of Neil's used sticks biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif They have the alchemy symbol for copper on them, they're scuffed up, and they're beautiful. Michael said something to me but I couldn't make out what he said.

I accidentally took a picture with flash during "Caravan." I freaked out and then a few minutes later during Neil's solo Al's same roadie Kevin walked up to me and said "Come with me, and take your camera." I thought he was going to confiscate my camera!

I asked "Am I in trouble?!" and Kevin said, "You are definitely not in trouble." What I saw, as we walked on the side of the stage, was Alex sitting listening to Neil's solo. He got up and I threw my arms around him and said "THANK YOU." As Kevin fiddled with the camera I said, "Ya know, I've always wanted to ask you something- 'do you like to party?'" - a stupid little aside from the Trailer Park Boys movie Countdown to Liquor Day. He laughed and we finally got the picture to work. I hugged him again (nice and sweaty) and said that I met him last year and that I am so thankful for him and a bunch of other coherent hooey. I also told him "Bubbles shoulda been your guitar tech for the Boston show" - alluding of course to the infamous "Still No Guitar" rant. . . he liked that, too biggrin.gif After some more Alex snugs and more wishing of a happy birthday, I left and returned to my spot in front row.

And that's not all!

During the beginning of "Closer to the Heart" I just rested my head on the barrier and cried a little bit because I was so flippin' happy. I pulled out my sign (with my hand-painted picture of the three Gershon's Haus characters and me) and when I caught Alex's eye, I pointed out that Slobovich and I were right next to each other, mirroring the picture we had taken minutes earlier. He grinned at me.

During "2112: Overture" Geddy came over to our side of the stage and I pointed out Gershon on my sign to him and he made a face at me ;D

Alex tossed me a Slobovich shirt and I wore it for the encore. It's the one that said "Books are for tourists"!

Lots of grooving, lots of gaffes, and a general liveliness was there last night! Alex was goofing around, smelling his pits during "Tom Sawyer," waving at random people in the audience, and joking with the girls who stood with Darin and me in the front row.

At the end, when they were waving goodbye to everyone, I blew Alex a kiss and he blew one back to me. Absolutely incredible!!!  1022.gif

ok, i officially hate you kelly D. biggrin.gif

Insanely cool, Kelly!

I met you at Mohegan Sun last year. Your a sweet girl. Happy Birthday!

user posted image

"Whaaaaa?!!!!"

That is AWESOME!! "What did I tell you? The holy triumvirate...they're regular guys, just like us."

[i would totally marry you...so would my wife. tongue.gif]

Edited by ioc

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 18 2011, 03:02 PM)

I'm glad you posted your story here. You alluded to it on FB and I couldn't find it on RIAB.
What an awesome b-day for you Kelly. I'm so happy that you got this great experience and all the goodies too!
BTW when Michael brought me my sticks he said these are from Neil...guessing he might have said something similar to you!
Rush Rocks!!!!

Michael, when he gave me my first pair of sticks in 2008, said "Neil says Happy Birthday." I thought he might've said "Happy Birthday again" but who knows. I yelled "THANK YOU" in his ear, so at least I remembered my manners. common001.gif I was a little bit more profane the first time- I screamed "ARE YOU F#$%ING SERIOUS?!" and then had an out-of-body experience doh.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 19 2011, 10:30 AM)
Insanely cool, Kelly!
I met you at Mohegan Sun last year. Your a sweet girl. Happy Birthday!

Thank you!!! And we're friends on Facebook too, you goof smile.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 18 2011, 09:53 AM)

I got a front row ticket, Alex side, to the El Paso show. I made a sign saying it was my 23rd birthday (cos, well, it was) with caricatures of the Gershon's Haus of Sausage guys and me and hung it on the barrier for part of the show. . . Alex saw it during "The Spirit of Radio" and mouthed "Happy Birthday!" to me. I could've gone home ecstatic at that, but it got way, way better. . .

And that's not all!

At the end, when they were waving goodbye to everyone, I blew Alex a kiss and he blew one back to me. Absolutely incredible!!! 1022.gif

WOW great story!

Hey wait a sec I just saw you on facebook didn't I??

ohmy.gif

Happy birthday again!

trink39.gif

wink.gif

Cool Alex pic btw...

1022.gif