Female fronted metal:

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

Evanescence

Within Temptation

Oh, not that one note wonder again!

Every song:

"HeeeeeeAAAAAAHHHHHHwoooooAAAAAAAAYYYaaaaaAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

Chocolate Crickets and peeled potatoes that girl sucks IMO.

http://mikesdailyjukebox.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/the-letter-black-300x300.jpg

Big four of Scottish alternative bands from the 80s:

Big Country

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Simple Minds

Math was never my strong suit, but I think you missed one!

I couldn't think of a fourth one, but was hoping someone else could!

^ I was going to expand it to '80s and '90s and include Teenage Fanclub, but Primal Scream works.
  • Like 1

Industrial:

NIN

KMFDM

Ministry

Skinny puppy

Oh no, please don't include NIN in an Industrial big four list.

Epic fail.

NIN was a latecomer to the industrial scene, having released their first album in 1989, years after those other bands did. Back then there was a NIN ad that claimed they had created the genre, or some such bs. There are many other bands that actually created and revolutionized the genre. Maybe NIN was one of the most popular, but they were by no means unique.

:goodone:

I had always given Al Jourgensen credit with creating the genre. He had two industrial bands (maybe even more :LOL:), Ministry and Revolting Cocks, before NIN ever hit the scene.

• Like 2

Industrial:

NIN

KMFDM

Ministry

Skinny puppy

Epic fail.

NIN was a latecomer to the industrial scene, having released their first album in 1989, years after those other bands did. Back then there was a NIN ad that claimed they had created the genre, or some such bs. There are many other bands that actually created and revolutionized the genre. Maybe NIN was one of the most popular, but they were by no means unique.

They were about half a decade late to the punch so their not founders of the genre... And?

Their popularity is telling, and they are unique for quite a few reasons. The main reason would have to be that their music is completely polarizing.

"The Downward Spiral" may just be the most intense concept album in existence, I challenge you to give me another industrial album which is as intense both lyrically and musically (I'm admittedly a n00b in the genre, but I'm pretty confident in TDS)... On the flip side, they've got a lot of ambient works. If you played the two following songs to someone blindly they probably wouldn't guess they were works from the same project:

Heresy

https://youtu.be/Uvz-fYbFN_o

http://youtu.be/Uvz-fYbFN_o

Adrift and at Peace

https://youtu.be/Cxq37RukKaA

http://youtu.be/Cxq37RukKaA

Psalm 69 and The Mind is a Terrible Thing To Taste both blow "The Downward Spiral" out of the water. TDS isn't even my favorite NIN release.

I agree that NIN belongs in the big four for industrial. But they are far from the best or most influential industrial act. They're just the most accessible, and I'm not sure if that is necessarily an asset when we are talking about a genre like industrial.

• Like 2

Big Four Aussie bands:

INXS

Midnight Oil

The Church

Split Enz/Crowded House

AC/DC and Cold Chisel would squeeze out the Church and the last two as far a making my list of iconic Aussie rock bands. I like those bands, but I think the other two are bigger.

The Big Four of "Drivers' Cars" (not the same as performance cars -- handling and dynamics vs power and speed):

Lotus (always a good buy for the fun-loving masochist)

Alfa Romeo (the recent return to RWD marks the return to essential "Alfa-ness")

BMW (a bit over-rated since the mid-'00s, but before that every bit deserving of the reputation)

Mazda (always have had a sporting nature to their cars, but their current line-up of suburban warriors is easily the best of the bunch for the soccer moms and dads who like to drive a genuine car, as opposed to a web-connected appliance)

You can't have a list of "drivers' cars" without including Porsche.

Big Four Aussie bands:

INXS

Midnight Oil

The Church

Split Enz/Crowded House

AC/DC and Cold Chisel would squeeze out the Church and the last two as far a making my list of iconic Aussie rock bands. I like those bands, but I think the other two are bigger.

The Church are my favorite on that list. :(

Industrial:

NIN

KMFDM

Ministry

Skinny puppy

Epic fail.

I had always given Al Jourgensen credit with creating the genre. He had two industrial bands (maybe even more :LOL:), Ministry and Revolting Cocks, before NIN ever hit the scene.

The same buddy in high school I knew who introduced me to Shonen Knife also introduced me to Ministry and (to a much lesser extent RevCo and the Buzzcocks). I don't know about you guys, but Ministry in 1992 were a badass f***ing outfit. I bought the "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up" concert on VHS and the fans / pit scared me haha. I was all "Holy shit! Their fans are so crazy they have to put up giant fences in front of the stage!!!"

And then later when I saw White Zombie / Rob Zombie I wondered why he was trying to look like Al.

EDIT: The drums for Burning Inside are so awesome!!!!

BOOM, BAP, BOOM, ba da da da!

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

Industrial:

NIN

KMFDM

Ministry

Skinny puppy

Epic fail.

The same buddy in high school I knew who introduced me to Shonen Knife also introduced me to Ministry and (to a much lesser extent RevCo and the Buzzcocks). I don't know about you guys, but Ministry in 1992 were a badass f***ing outfit. I bought the "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up" concert on VHS and the fans / pit scared me haha. I was all "Holy shit! Their fans are so crazy they have to put up giant fences in front of the stage!!!"

And then later when I saw White Zombie / Rob Zombie I wondered why he was trying to look like Al.

EDIT: The drums for Burning Inside are so awesome!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM5DOSC0jUo

I love that video. The deer antlers on Al microphone was so cool. And I loved the use of two drummers on that tour. That is such a unique sound.

Female fronted metal:

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

Evanescence

Within Temptation

Oh, not that one note wonder again!

Every song:

"HeeeeeeAAAAAAHHHHHHwoooooAAAAAAAAYYYaaaaaAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

Chocolate Crickets and peeled potatoes that girl sucks IMO.

http://mikesdailyjukebox.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/the-letter-black-300x300.jpg

I'd happily replace them but they are the most successful of this style so it'd be stupid to overlook them.

I'd happily swap them out for The Gathering but that makes little sense.

The big four Finnish bands

Sentenced

HIM

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

I can't stand Hanoi Rocks so NO.

Edited by Segue Myles

Sentenced

HIM

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

KINGSTON WALL

Not very popular outside of Finland, but they were killer!!!

Sentenced

HIM

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

KINGSTON WALL

I don't agree...because I think they deserve a different category.

In all honesty...Finland is awash with talent. So make your own list! Id be interested

Sentenced

HIM

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

KINGSTON WALL

In all honesty...Finland is awash with talent. So make your own list! Id be interested

Let me think about this...

• Like 1

Sentenced

HIM

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

KINGSTON WALL

Kingston Wall

Von Hertzen Brothers

Amorphis

Waltari

Sentenced

HIM

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

KINGSTON WALL

Kingston Wall

Von Hertzen Brothers

Amorphis

Waltari

This list is amazing!

Big Four Aussie bands:

INXS

Midnight Oil

The Church

Split Enz/Crowded House

AC/DC had slipped my mind; obviously the biggest of the bunch. Re Cold Chisel, I'll rephrase... Biggest Four Aussie bands to audiences outside Australia:

AC/DC

INXS

The Church

Crowded House (with a nod to their forerunner, Split Enz)