JohnnyBlaze

1. Red Barchetta

2. Limelight

3. Tom Sawyer

4. The Camera Eye

5. YYZ

6. Witch Hunt

7. Vital Signs

(They are all amazing songs. so hard to rank).

1) Limelight

2) Tom Sawyer

3) YYZ

4) Red Barchetta

5) Vital Signs

6) The Camera Eye

7) Witch Hunt

Good Lord, this was difficult to list. Tom Sawyer and YYZ could pretty much be interchangeable at #2 and #3, IMO, as well as RB, VS and TCE at numbers 4, 5, and 6. Also, I think this kind of listing would be a great thing to do with all of Rush's albums.

Edited by Natural Scientist in 2112
  • Like 2

1. YYZ

2. Red Barchetta

3. Tom Sawyer

4. Limelight

5. Vital Signs

6. The Camera Eye

7. Witch Hunt

1) Limelight

2) Tom Sawyer

3) YYZ

4) Red Barchetta

5) Vital Signs

6) The Camera Eye

7) Witch Hunt

Good Lord, this was difficult to list. Tom Sawyer and YYZ could pretty much be interchangeable at #2 and #3, IMO, as well as RB, VS and TCE at numbers 4, 5, and 6. Also, I think this kind of listing would be a great thing to do with all of Rush's albums.

Yes, this kind of RANKING ;) would work with the albums. Basically, I was too lazy to do it for all the albums...that is, calculating 7 songs is easier than doing it for 19 or whatever albums. Besides, this was more of a test to see who'd bite. You're more than welcome to do one for the albums.

And I agree, some of the songs are interchangeable since many (if not all) of them are perfect 10s IMHO.

• Like 1

Oh Johnny how are you tabulating the scores?

1. 10pts

2. 9pts

3. 8pts

Etc

No points. I'm going to take the average of the positions. The one with the lowest average would naturally be the #1 song. And all the way down the line.

Even the "weakest" song won't have a "7" average (since all of us aren't picking the same song as #7). I'm guessing whatever it is, it'll have a 5.178493654 something average. These final rankings will have to be looked at in the decimal points. You get the point. Even the #1 song will probably have a score of 3.428405 average or whatever (since our #1 picks have been all over the place). I imagine songs will likely be clustered in the 3-5 point range. I'll include all that stuff in the final tally.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

1) Limelight

2) Tom Sawyer

3) YYZ

4) Red Barchetta

5) Vital Signs

6) The Camera Eye

7) Witch Hunt

Yes, this kind of RANKING ;) would work with the albums. Basically, I was too lazy to do it for all the albums...that is, calculating 7 songs is easier than doing it for 19 or whatever albums. Besides, this was more of a test to see who'd bite. You're more than welcome to do one for the albums.

And I agree, some of the songs are interchangeable since many (if not all) of them are perfect 10s IMHO.

I thought the OP meant that this ranking of songs on each album would be fun to do with all of Rush's albums. Which it would!

• Like 1

1) Limelight

2) Tom Sawyer

3) YYZ

4) Red Barchetta

5) Vital Signs

6) The Camera Eye

7) Witch Hunt

I thought the OP meant that this ranking of songs on each album would be fun to do with all of Rush's albums. Which it would!

Agreed!

Also interesting to note how some of the rankings are vaguely similar to the actual running order of the album. Sequencing is more important than some may realize and MP is a well sequenced album. I think that flow aids in its overall enjoyment.

1) Limelight

2) Tom Sawyer

3) YYZ

4) Red Barchetta

5) Vital Signs

6) The Camera Eye

7) Witch Hunt

Agreed!

Also interesting to note how some of the rankings are vaguely similar to the actual running order of the album. Sequencing is more important than some may realize and MP is a well sequenced album. I think that flow aids in its overall enjoyment.

My ranking of the songs isn't particularly close to the running order of the album, but you're absolutely right about the sequencing. That struck me in particular when they played the entire album on the Time Machine Tour. Moving Pictures was never one of my favourite Rush albums, but on that tour it was an absolutely monster, with all the builds and releases in just the right places to keep me totally absorbed. Before that tour, I didn't like half the songs on the record, and was bored with the other half. The whole album rose considerably in my estimation on that tour, and The Camera Eye went from being a song I never bothered with to being one of my all-time favourites.

• Like 1

1. Red Barchetta

2. Limelight

3. Tom Sawyer

4. YYZ

5. Vital Signs

6. The Camera Eye

7. Witch Hunt

Edit: moved YYZ to 4. Always torn b/t what I like vs what seems objectively best. Changed to objectively best, otherwise Vital Signs would have been at #3 and YYZ at #7. Regardless, classic album that it is, all the tracks are great, or at least fit perfectly on the album.

Edited by Rutlefan

1) Limelight

2) Tom Sawyer

3) YYZ

4) Red Barchetta

5) Vital Signs

6) The Camera Eye

7) Witch Hunt

Agreed!

The Camera Eye went from being a song I never bothered with to being one of my all-time favourites.

Same for me. Still not my favorite, but it rose a little in my eyes.

Edited by Wil1972