It's not till October but what the hell!

http://www.kshe95.com/sites/g/files/exi371/f/styles/large_730/public/article-images-featured/1042541-440936.jpg?itok=nqj6L5HK

tumblr_mk17vjZjws1rrftfwo5_400.png http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/YW8h1d22l_8/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.kshe95.com/sites/g/files/exi371/f/styles/large_730/public/article-images-featured/256381-209181.jpg?itok=K-F-VnCF

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TTos-J6Mwu0/TqhxCyfYyGI/AAAAAAAAHO0/UDe5GRKDQOk/s1600/5408_1080406781395_1563066758_30226410_4178016_n.jpg

http://cjonline.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/12348195_1.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/54/81/da/5481dac4cc1f8f66d069e76800c16389.jpg

http://www.ericgold.com/kansas/kerry-richie-l.jpg

http://zacharymule.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Kansas-circa-1974-Dave-Hope-Rich-Williams-Robby-Steinhardt-Phil-Ehart-Steve-Walsh-Kerry-Livgren-publicity-photo.jpg

• Like 3

Music-wise, Leftoverture changed everything for me. I was just learning guitar and was into Skynyrd and Nugent and Aerosmith and Boston -- all good influences guitar-wise -- but then I heard "Miracles Out of Nowhere" and "Magnum Opus" and all that unique instrumentation and all those odd-time sigs, and I was hooked. I probably wouldn't have gotten into Zeppelin and Rush and Yes and prog in general without Leftoverture.
  • Like 9

Music-wise, Leftoverture changed everything for me. I was just learning guitar and was into Skynyrd and Nugent and Aerosmith and Boston -- all good influences guitar-wise -- but then I heard "Miracles Out of Nowhere" and "Magnum Opus" and all that unique instrumentation and all those odd-time sigs, and I was hooked. I probably wouldn't have gotten into Zeppelin and Rush and Yes and prog in general without Leftoverture.

:goodone:
  • Like 1

Kansas get my vote for best US prog band ever.
  • Like 2

Make sure you guys locate and find THIS documentary.

Very good. Really is a miracle, they ever made it.

• Like 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJuKsxGZJc

Seconded.

• Like 3

First two albums I ever got (at the same time), as a gift with a new stereo:

2112 and Leftoverture

• Like 4

I've seen it too! Very good, very enlightening, plus it has Brian May in it! :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately not much competition.

I have to say when I posted this I wanted to do the whole "more than..."...

But it was a case of stating the obvious.

Some would argue Dream Theater but I wouldn't say it's a close match at all. Kamsas all the way.

Some would argue Dream Theater but I wouldn't say it's a close match at all. Kamsas all the way.

Who's Kamsas? ;)

I wouldn't even compare them. 1) Kansas is classic, DT is modern, and still relevant. 2) totally different styles of progressive rock, DT being much more akin to metal.

Prog rock isn't an American genre, so to speak. There's not a lot of country rock bands from Europe. Is there? It use to irk me the lack of American prog bands, but then I discovered stuff like Pere Ubu and Talking Heads. I'm telling ya, that stuff is progressive.

• Like 1

Prog rock isn't an American genre, so to speak. There's not a lot of country rock bands from Europe. Is there? It use to irk me the lack of American prog bands, but then I discovered stuff like Pere Ubu and Talking Heads. I'm telling ya, that stuff is progressive.

I like Talking Heads.

A good album to recommend?

I like Talking Heads.

That's hard for me to do. I honestly love all their albums. The debut album, Talking Heads: 77 is basically quirky New Wave, the second album, More Songs About Buildings and Food, is an extension of the first with improvements. The third album, Fear of Music, is almost like a new band, much heavier and experimental. The fourth album, Remain in LIght, is a progressive masterpiece introducing African rhythms and post-punk progressions. I think it's as progressive as any album by any Prog rock band. King Crimson really changed direction because of it. The fifth album, Speaking in Tongues, is a blueprint of improvisational music. Funky jams edited into quirky and challenging songs. Take your pick.

Sorry for the hijack - back to Kansas. A band that earned my respect over the decades. Great 1970s rock music. That Steve Walsh guy has pipes.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

I like Talking Heads.

More Songs About...

Fear Of Music

Remain In Light

Speaking In Tongues

The Name of This Band....

Golden.

Want some Pere Ubu recs? The first 4 albums. :)

Edited by Digital Dad

I like Talking Heads.

That's hard for me to do. I honestly love all their albums. The debut album, Talking Heads: 77 is basically quirky New Wave, the second album, More Songs About Buildings and Food, is an extension of the first with improvements. The third album, Fear of Music, is almost like a new band, much heavier and experimental. The fourth album, Remain in LIght, is a progressive masterpiece introducing African rhythms and post-punk progressions. I think it's as progressive as any album by any Prog rock band. King Crimson really changed direction because of it. The fifth album, Speaking in Tongues, is a blueprint of improvisational music. Funky jams edited into quirky and challenging songs. Take your pick.

Sorry for the hijack - back to Kansas. A band that earned my respect over the decades. Great 1970s rock music. That Steve Walsh guy has pipes.

Am also a big fan of Naked. Listened to it last night. Really underrated.

Wow, I listened to it yesterday, totally unaware about the 40th birthday. Has anyone ever noticed that the end of Dream Theater's Octavarium is a blatant ripoff of Kansas' The Wall?
  • Like 2

I like Talking Heads.

Am also a big fan of Naked. Listened to it last night. Really underrated.

:yes:

Mr. Jones, Blind, Nothing But Flowers...good stuff!

Wow, I listened to it yesterday, totally unaware about the 40th birthday. Has anyone ever noticed that the end of Dream Theater's Octavarium is a blatant ripoff of Kansas' The Wall?

Dream Theater is 95% a blatant rip off somebody.

• Like 1