AOR WARS: Styx v. Journey v. Foreigner v. REO Speedwagon

AOR WARS  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer the most

I'm kinda with Goose on this - I could never really get into any of these bands - I usually go for the extreme, the kitsch and the bands that are more sincere ( for lack of a better word )

Maybe it's the Joe Lynn Turner Syndrome ( ya know what I mean ?? .. of course you do )

ANYWAYS

I do keep an open mind, and I do go thru phases in which I enjoy this tripe

This is one of my favorites from back in the day : Fortune ... It is actually very good - derivative, but the songs are excellent .. If you don't know it, give it a shot ..

With Prism, there's no ifs, ands or buts with me

I really like them, all the time

This is tops IMHO, esp the title track

( yes, Saga totally ripped off the cover for World's Apart )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

It's odd that album oriented rock so rarely has any albums which are good all the way through. It's certainly true of these 4 bands.

I like songs from all 4 bands, but I'd never sit and listen to an entire album for any of them.

I can play every song on every Foreigner album, every song off the first ten Styx albums.

I can play about two or three songs off any Led Zeppelin album and I'm done for a year.

• Like 1

REO Who?

Never heard of them, and looking into it on Youtube, I don't seem to even be familiar with any of their hits.

They were decent until Hi Infidelity, then they started releasing a bunch of wussy ballads.

Of the four listed, Styx. Of the bands listed in this thread as AOR, probably Boston.

Journey would be first for me. I loved them from the very first album. It helps a lot to listen to their stuff that wasn't necessarily on top 40 radio. Their entire albums were great up until they kicked out Steve Perry. He had one of the most pure voices in rock

Second would be Styx. Great band with a lot of really good music. Dennis DeYoung was another very pure singer and he was very good. This is another band that you really need to listen to their entire albums to appreciate.

Foreigner? Not much of a fan. IMO they had one good album and that's it.

REO? Same as above.

Edited by EagleMoon

REO Who?

Never heard of them, and looking into it on Youtube, I don't seem to even be familiar with any of their hits.

Roll with the Changes and Don't Let Him Go are tracks I like a lot.
  • Like 2

REO Who?

Roll with the Changes and Don't Let Him Go are tracks I like a lot.

My favorite two REO tracks are Golden Country (which is as far from their popular, larychmose stuff as one can get) and Riding the Storm Out, both live.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I'd say REO is probably underrated. They really knew how to just rock like it was the seventies, and it was. Also some great ballads.
  • Like 2

I'd say REO is probably underrated. They really knew how to just rock like it was the seventies, and it was. Also some great ballads.

Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot

Through the Window

Tough Guys

I Do Wanna Know

Say You Love Me Or Say Goodnight

Ooh, that last one especially.

• Like 2

Just ordered Styx's Edge of the Century, Cyclorama, and Brave New World. Of all the aforementioned bands, they get my immediate $. Where I grew up, back in the Quad-Cities area along the Mississippi River, Styx was accorded "musical god" status, and it's not coincidental that I have enjoyed them all my days. Edited by MusicHead

Just ordered Styx's Edge of the Century, Cyclorama, and Brave New World. Of all the aforementioned bands, they get my immediate $. Where I grew up, back in the Quad-Cities area along the Mississippi River, Styx was accorded "musical god" status, and it's not coincidental that I have enjoyed them all my days.

I enjoy all three of these albums, but haven't bought them yet.

I must say of these four I truly do struggle between Styx and Foreigner. In my opinion Foreigner have never released a bad album. I love them all...but they have nine albums, not one without problems (no real variety).

On the other hand Styx have ten albums I LOVE. Not one of them do I merely "like". I feel so torn haha!

And funnily enough I feel this list could have been expanded to include Kansas (if Styx are AOR, Kansas are DEFINITELY AOR), Toto and Boston.

I have never heard anything by REO Speedwagon that I like.

I think Styx should get my vote here.

I cant stand Dennis DeYoung so anything sung by him is OUT. Is Edge of Century the one without Tommy Shaw?

I loved Foreinger growing up but now if it doesnt play in the radio( yeah i listen to classic rock radio still) like Journey or the Cars I'm not listening to it. I will still listen to REO albums up to Wheels Are Turning if the mood strikes.

• Like 1

I cant stand Dennis DeYoung so anything sung by him is OUT. Is Edge of Century the one without Tommy Shaw?

I loved Foreinger growing up but now if it doesnt play in the radio( yeah i listen to classic rock radio still) like Journey or the Cars I'm not listening to it. I will still listen to REO albums up to Wheels Are Turning if the mood strikes.

Dennis DeYoung is the reason I am confused between Styx and Foreigner...on the one hand I love Styx so much...on the other I do play Foreigner all the time and I adore Lou Gramm's voice whilst I at times hare the sound of DeYoung. I can't listen to him endlessly like other great singers.

I tried Styx yesterday. i coud not do it.......if a gun was to my head with someone saying enjoy Styx or die...........you'd be sending condolences to my family, lol

Mick

Aww this reminds me...

...I'm keeping my Meat Loaf thoughts to myself...

I FEEL LIKE THE SUCKIEST BUDDY EVER!

But this post reminds me of my feelings haha

• Like 1

I tried Styx yesterday. i coud not do it.......if a gun was to my head with someone saying enjoy Styx or die...........you'd be sending condolences to my family, lol

Mick

Aww this reminds me...

it's ok, lol

like i said i'm not blind to why people like styx.

but they far at the bottom of my AOR list.

Can't believe i forgot Kansas BTW.

to me the 70's run was always AOR playing dress up as prog.

but they are up their for me.

Mick

Mick

Aww this reminds me...

it's ok, lol

like i said i'm not blind to why people like styx.

but they far at the bottom of my AOR list.

Can't believe i forgot Kansas BTW.

to me the 70's run was always AOR playing dress up as prog.

but they are up their for me.

Mick

I always think of AOR as pop from prog minded musicians. Makes sense when you consider the nature of many prog artists output come the eighties, or even the shorter cuts off the seventies albums.

• Like 2

I didn't include Kansas, Toto, or Boston, as totally AOR as they are, because they didn't follow the same career arc as these four, commercially peaking right at the turn of the 80s after a few years of commercial buildup before crashing and falling or losing key members in the mid eighties and never being returned to their former glory. Kansas was already on their commercial down slide when these four were making it huge, Boston are just a completely different story, and Toto... Well I really just don't know enough about them when I think about it, but they also didn't have as humongous of an impact on classic rock radio as the four I chose so that could be a qualifier too.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

• Like 1