Star Trek: Beyond -- 2nd Trailer

Principled Man

"THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE!!"

Hey KenJennings, you're the Trek guru.

Please answer this if you can:

Is it ever explained why/how Chekhov and Khan know each other (in Star Trek 2) even though Pavel isn't seen in that Space Seed episode?

Nobody was paying attention to continuity, is my guess.

Imagine Q walking around saying stuff like "I really hate what you did with the place", referring to the timeline. LOL.

I thought your idea was terrible until I read this part, HAHAHA!

I love Q but honestly he shouldn't have ever left TNG. The DS9 episode with him in it wasn't that great and VOY watered him down just like they did with the Borg. (Deathwish was pretty good though I gotta' say).

• Like 1

The Wrath of Khan

VI: The Undiscovered Country

III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek 2009

First Contact

Insurrection

IV: The Voyage Home

Generations

Into Darkness

V: The Final Frontier

The Motionless Picture

Nemesis

---

I don't think Khan will ever be topped, I love it too much. I also don't think Nemesis will ever be bottomed, because it took some of my favorite TNG characters and shit all over them, and helped kill the franchise off along with VOY and ENT. Final Frontier has some really funny parts, which saves it with me (Spock? Yes, captain? BE ONE WITH THE HORSE. Yes, captain.) hahaha. Insurrection is way better than people give it credit for and aside from the stage lighting so is Generations. That whole beginning scene with the Enterprise B and the ribbon is excellent. I enjoyed Into Darkness but has been said many times before it shouldn't have mirrored Khan- that was a stupid move. Or changed the Klingon homeworld to KRONOS. Or had a transporter that could beam somebody halfway across the galaxy. Hmmm, maybe my list needs revision!

ST2009 is very enjoyable still. Sorry, I've been a giant fan since the late 70s and I like it. TMP I always found boring, Search for Spock is much better than people give it credit for (the transporter swaperoo at the end!), Undiscovered Country I can watch whenever it's on (We surrender! Captain?! WE SURRENDER!!). Voyage Home was really funny in 1984 and even though it's probably the most dated of the lot it's still a lot of fun. And First Contact, awesome as it is, I can't really watch too many times I don't know why.

Edited by Del_Duio

I really enjoyed Star Trek 2009. Okay story, great casting. I think J.J. Abrams got a lot of it right.

Star Trek Into Darkness is absolute crap. A film that proves J.J. Abrams is a hack.

Star Trek Beyond hopefully will be a rebound. I'm not hating what I've seen so far.

I think I must be the only one who actually liked Star Trek Into Darkness.

*braces for a :bitchslap: *

It wasn't terrible, but Khan should have been someone else and they should have never ever tried to do the rip off swaperoo of Wrath of Khan at the end. When Spock says "KHAAAANNNN!!!" you could almost see the space shark jumping!

I wish Montalban Khan had been around to activate the Genesis device on that entire set.

http://daisydownunder.com/images/ST-movie18.jpg

I WILL LEAVE YOU... AS YOU LEFT ME..

AS YOU LEFT HER...

BURIED ALIVE....

BURIED ALIVE....

:LOL:

Yeah baby!

But you forgot the bit "marooned for all eternity inside a dead planet..."

:LOL:

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-kirk-yells-khans-name.jpg

Hey for off the top of my head I thought that was pretty good! :)

And it was!

"THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE!!"

Hey KenJennings, you're the Trek guru.

Please answer this if you can:

Is it ever explained why/how Chekhov and Khan know each other (in Star Trek 2) even though Pavel isn't seen in that Space Seed episode?

Nobody was paying attention to continuity, is my guess.

That's true but I assumed they retconned that Chekhov/Khan connection somehow in the last 20 years.

Here's how I'd rate the Treks:

Very Good-Great:

1) The Wrath of Khan

2) The Undiscovered Country

3) First Contact

Below Average-Ok:

4) The Search for Spock

5) Star Trek 2009

6) The Voyage Home

7) Insurrection

8) The Motion Picture

9) Generations

Varying Degrees of Garbage:

10) The Final Frontier

11) Nemesis

12) Into Darkness

All the makers of Into Darkness had to do was to have John Harrison be JOHN HARRISON.

They could have had a brief scene in which they show some of the Botany Bay's crew in their cryo-pods......with Khan being one of them. In an altered timeline, Khan isn't necessarily the one who gets revived. There was no sense in replacing the South Asian Khan Noonian Singh with a white Englishman.

And no......there shouldn't have been the scene with Spock getting enraged and screaming JOOOOOOHHHHNNNN!!!! :LOL:

• Like 1

All the makers of Into Darkness had to do was to have John Harrison be JOHN HARRISON.

They could have had a brief scene in which they show some of the Botany Bay's crew in their cryo-pods......with Khan being one of them. In an altered timeline, Khan isn't necessarily the one who gets revived. There was no sense in replacing the South Asian Khan Noonian Singh with a white Englishman.

And no......there shouldn't have been the scene with Spock getting enraged and screaming JOOOOOOHHHHNNNN!!!! :LOL:

You mean the spanish Khan Noonien Singh. :scared:

I finished watching Generations on a second night. It wasn't as boring or uninteresting as I remembered. Although the Data emotion chip humor really doesn't age well. Why doesn't Picard have a communicator insignia pin on the planet?
  • Like 2

I finished watching Generations on a second night. It wasn't as boring or uninteresting as I remembered. Although the Data emotion chip humor really doesn't age well.

You're generous.

I didn't like that emotion chip even back then.

I think I've seen it 2 or 3 times over the years. It's more than enough times to know I dislike it. ;)

Why doesn't Picard have a communicator insignia pin on the planet?

The Klingons must have removed it before they beamed him down to the planet, but that doesn't explain why he had it while he was in the Nexus... unless there it was conjured up by his imagination or something.

I finished watching Generations on a second night. It wasn't as boring or uninteresting as I remembered. Although the Data emotion chip humor really doesn't age well. Why doesn't Picard have a communicator insignia pin on the planet?

I just love scanning for life forms!

My first ST convention was in '95 and Brent Spiner was there. Somebody asked him about the life forms song and he said he just made it up on the spot and they added the music afterwards.

• Like 1

My first ST convention was in '95 and Brent Spiner was there. Somebody asked him about the life forms song and he said he just made it up on the spot and they added the music afterwards.

I remember chuckling at most of the Data humor when I saw the film in the theater. Packed friendly crowd, probably a little boozed up. Now I found most of it cringe inducing. I still laugh when Picard gets the hard punch in the face the first time, his reaction is...so Jean Luc.

That 1701-D crash scene is still one of my favorite FX clips. It seemed so realistic, the motion of the saucer as it was rolling over terrain, and the terrain impacts, dirt and trees flying around and onto the saucer itself. Then the mighty Enterprise comes to rest. Gleaming titanium, blue and orange paint.

To this day, I still think that the SFX guys studied aircraft crash films before they animated that bit.

• Like 2

That 1701-D crash scene is still one of my favorite FX clips. It seemed so realistic, the motion of the saucer as it was rolling over terrain, and the terrain impacts, dirt and trees flying around and onto the saucer itself. Then the mighty Enterprise comes to rest. Gleaming titanium, blue and orange paint.

To this day, I still think that the SFX guys studied aircraft crash films before they animated that bit.

It really played well on the big screen. That would be all CGI mess today.

• Like 2

It really played well on the big screen. That would be all CGI mess today.

Yeah.. This year's edition would have a bunch of explosions as parts of the saucer shredded away... Then when it was all over 2 sandcrawlers roll up.....

Also, the klingons never targeted the bridge, and they and Riker shot at the same time...

I hated that they destroyed the ENT-D. I still do. It's as much a part of that show as the cast was, and I loved that show!

• Like 1

I remember chuckling at most of the Data humor when I saw the film in the theater. Packed friendly crowd, probably a little boozed up. Now I found most of it cringe inducing. I still laugh when Picard gets the hard punch in the face the first time, his reaction is...so Jean Luc.

I think it was so funny at the time because it was so unlike how Data had been portrayed up until that point.

In retrospect, the emotion chip was a bad idea. But it's not like it wasn't in the series too ("Brothers", I think, from S3).

Generations comes across like it was shot from the rough draft of a screenplay. It's a lazy film, which is a shame, because I think a pretty good movie is in there somewhere.

Patrick Stewart's a good actor and Captain Kirk is an iconic character...I feel like both of those elements were wasted (among other things).

Even sadder though is that I think it's better than 3 or (maybe) 4 of the other Trek flicks + that Into Darkness crap.

• Like 1

I think it was so funny at the time because it was so unlike how Data had been portrayed up until that point.

In retrospect, the emotion chip was a bad idea. But it's not like it wasn't in the series too ("Brothers", I think, from S3).

Yep. Soong mistakenly gave it to Lore instead of Data in Brothers, then Data got it back in Descent...

So that 'Chekhov's Gun' had been hanging on the wall for a while. Generations may not have used it well as a plot device, but the subsequent movies reeled it in reasonably well; especially in Insurrection, where I think his emotional awareness made his sense of longing to be human even more poignant. Even Nemesis (one of its only positives) used Data's relatively unpracticed emotional awareness to its benefit- especially in the scenes they deleted.

Edited by KenJennings

Generations comes across like it was shot from the rough draft of a screenplay. It's a lazy film, which is a shame, because I think a pretty good movie is in there somewhere.

Patrick Stewart's a good actor and Captain Kirk is an iconic character...I feel like both of those elements were wasted (among other things).

Even sadder though is that I think it's better than 3 or (maybe) 4 of the other Trek flicks + that Into Darkness crap.

Lazy and wasted. Yep. The strengths can't make up for the lack of effort by the writers and producers.

Google is not my friend. Did I see a third trailer during the NBA Finals? I can't find it.

If there is, I don't want to see it. I have a feeling they're going to show way too much of the movie and I want to be at least somewhat surprised.

I'm now giving the Undiscovered Country the two night treatment. First half is 4.5 stars if you're a Trek fan.

• Like 1

I'm now giving the Undiscovered Country the two night treatment. First half is 4.5 stars if you're a Trek fan.

ST6 is one of my favorites. I almost shit myself (in a bad way) when I saw it on TV and they only rated it 2 stars.

Hmmm... Is there a good way to shit yourself?