Rhythm vs. Lead Guitar - Which do you like best?

x1yyz

Rhythm vs. Lead Guitar  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like best - rhythm or lead guitar?

• I play guitar and like lead the best
    • I play guitar and like rhythm the best
    • I don't play guitar and like lead the best
    • I don't play guitar and like rhythm the best

I wish people would realise that lead guitar =/= senseless wankery. EVH being a perfect example of this.

???

Timeless, classic songs exist because of Eddie's writing, riffs, rhythms and leads

Eddie did not play the guitar - it was simply an extension of the person - he was as natural as they come

Hendrix and Van Halen are two of the very few who could not be topped in the guitar category, yet, never forced themselves bigger than the songs

• Like 1

I wish people would realise that lead guitar =/= senseless wankery. EVH being a perfect example of this.

???

Timeless, classic songs exist because of Eddie's writing, riffs, rhythms and leads

Eddie did not play the guitar - it was simply an extension of the person - he was as natural as they come

Hendrix and Van Halen are two of the very few who could not be topped in the guitar category, yet, never forced themselves bigger than the songs

This is very true of VH. He proved this by writing on keyboards and developing that sound in addition to his guitar playing. This is another reason it was important to change singers at that time. He had complete control and it wasnt just so he could wank more on rhe guitar. It was to create a sound he could manipulate on his own. To write more diverse material without compromise or battling the will of another creative force. Its also interesting to me that over time DLR incorporated more keyboards and melody into his music.

• Like 1

There's also a common belief that lead guitar is harder to play than rhythm guitar. Any guitarist who's played a wide-range of material extensively can tell you that's not the case. It's all about what style you practice more.

Rhythm guitar has complex chords while lead guitar has syncopated melodies.

Also: guitar solos are not exclusive to lead guitarists whatsoever. It's much more common for bands with two guitarists to take turns performing guitar solos.

That's a good point. And even "lead guitarists" have to play rhythm most of the time. Otherwise they'd just be standing round about the stage like a doofus, waiting for their 30 seconds of glory per song.

Yngwie plays lead more than rhythm.

There are always exceptions to the rule, duh.

Yngwie's albums are mostly, in not totally instrumentals. They feature the very form of musical masturbation that was mentioned in the OP.

Some people really dig that style of playing. More power to them. It does absolutely nothing for me. I've respected Yngwie's technical abilities since 1985, when I first heard Rising Force. Or was it Marching Out?

But to me, his playing is as forgettable as which album of his I actually heard.

• Like 1

???

Uhhh..... =/= means does not equal. As in lead guitar does NOT equal senseless wankery. Senseless wankery does NOT describe EVH at all

???

Uhhh..... =/= means does not equal. As in lead guitar does NOT equal senseless wankery. Senseless wankery does NOT describe EVH at all

ahhhh, I see

That clears things up

To my ear, whether a guitarist is playing rhythm, lead or what have you, the key is melody, and purpose

"Shred" should not be considered a bad word, but unfortunately, a lot of shredders have no sense of melody or purpose - they simply rehash hours upon hours of practiced patterns and attempt to force them into what they think is a composition ..

Shredding can be awesome, case in point, IMHO, the first and one of the greatest shred pieces - ever

1:08 is as good as it gets

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I have very minimal skills in guitar playing, though I do play for at least fifteen minutes most days and have gotten a lot better over the past few years. Nevertheless, the guitar I usually pick up and play is acoustic, and I don't often have the time to go plugging things into amps and learning solos and the complex bits, so as a player I'm more drawn to rhythm guitar the more I find out how interesting and deceptively complex it can be...

But as a listener lead all the way! Gimme the solos, gimme the style, gimme the soul!!!

I wish people would realise that lead guitar =/= senseless wankery.

To add on that, I wish people would realize that most of what they consider to be "senseless wankery" isn't even that to begin with.