Deceased Artists....

Tick

I know, I shouldn't get this mad over this, but goddamn. You don't really see this happen a lot with TRF, but more with pretty much every single public forum about classic rock from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. These people bitch and moan about millenials not appreciating rock n' roll and they say that they want to encourage the younger generation to listen to classic rock, but then they go and do nothing but brag about all the times they've seen all these bands in their prime, "YEAH, I SAW OZZY WHEN RANDY RHOADS WAS IN THE BAND! I SAW THE ORIGINAL VAN HALEN SIX TIMES! I SAW STYX BACK IN THE DAY. LOOK AT ALL THESE CONCERTS I'VE BEEN TOO, TOO BAD YOU WEREN'T BORN YET! SUCKS TO BE YOU!"

And I don't care if I get any backlash and even though it is a few isolated cases, I have indeed seen this happen before on this forum with people bragging about how many times they saw Rush back in the day.

Too many mircoaggressions. Seek out your safe space, son.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing Rush way back in 1981. It was friggn' awesome.

Hey, I wouldn't mind, but I personally can't stand how that's the only way people rank how big of a fan you are of a certain band or musician. By that logic, a young Rush fan who knows their music inside and out, and probably knows 10X more Rush then their own damn parents can never ever be as big of a fan as the one who has been around since the beginning and had seen them a gazillion and one times. Even though they may have Rush posters all over their room and listen to Rush religiously, they'll never be as big of a fan as the one that's been around since 74.

The measure of how much a person is a fan of a band shouldn't have to be a stupid pissing contest about how many times you've seen them in concert, but that's just the way it is with these damn people.

I think you are projecting. Chill out. Enjoy the music.

• Like 1

When I saw Rush in 84, I was way up in the cheap seats, but there was a moment when Lee turned his head generally in our direction and I just knew he was looking right at me! I really felt that I had a special, personal connection with him in that second that no one else in Maple Leaf Gardens had. For that reason, I feel I have a much deeper connection to the music of Rush than anyone else who just listens deeply to the music and absorbs the lyrics in the "common" way.
  • Like 2

I saw The Who with Keith Moon.

Top that one if you can. :coy:

I saw Johnny Bench break the all-time MLB record for career home runs by a catcher.

HA!! HAHA!! I AM WINNER!! :haz: :haz: :P

I ran into Richard Burton on Park Avenue and 56th Street in 1978. :hi:

• Like 2

I saw Johnny Bench break the all-time MLB record for career home runs by a catcher.

HA!! HAHA!! I AM WINNER!! :haz: :haz: :P

I ran into Richard Burton on Park Avenue and 56th Street in 1978. :hi:

I hope there were no major injuries!

• Like 2

I know, I shouldn't get this mad over this, but goddamn. You don't really see this happen a lot with TRF, but more with pretty much every single public forum about classic rock from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. These people bitch and moan about millenials not appreciating rock n' roll and they say that they want to encourage the younger generation to listen to classic rock, but then they go and do nothing but brag about all the times they've seen all these bands in their prime, "YEAH, I SAW OZZY WHEN RANDY RHOADS WAS IN THE BAND! I SAW THE ORIGINAL VAN HALEN SIX TIMES! I SAW STYX BACK IN THE DAY. LOOK AT ALL THESE CONCERTS I'VE BEEN TOO, TOO BAD YOU WEREN'T BORN YET! SUCKS TO BE YOU!"

And I don't care if I get any backlash and even though it is a few isolated cases, I have indeed seen this happen before on this forum with people bragging about how many times they saw Rush back in the day.

Hey, I wouldn't mind, but I personally can't stand how that's the only way people rank how big of a fan you are of a certain band or musician. By that logic, a young Rush fan who knows their music inside and out, and probably knows 10X more Rush then their own damn parents can never ever be as big of a fan as the one who has been around since the beginning and had seen them a gazillion and one times. Even though they may have Rush posters all over their room and listen to Rush religiously, they'll never be as big of a fan as the one that's been around since 74.

The measure of how much a person is a fan of a band shouldn't have to be a stupid pissing contest about how many times you've seen them in concert, but that's just the way it is with these damn people. It's just such high school bullshit, and most of these fans are either Gen-Xers or Baby Boomers

You're right, it shouldn't be a contest between who's been a fan longer...and it isn't. I'm thoroughly sorry if you've experienced people saying the younger generations could never have as big of fans for the older bands as the older generations who grew up with those bands, honestly, that sounds like it sucks. However, I don't think that's the reality for most people and most situations. My dad admits I'm a much bigger Rush fan than he is even though he's known them much longer,, and I think he's a bigger Dream Theater fan than I am even though I introduced him to them. Fandom isn't a contest, it's a life experience.

• Like 4

The measure of how much a person is a fan of a band shouldn't have to be a stupid pissing contest about how many times you've seen them in concert, but that's just the way it is with these damn people. It's just such high school bullshit, and most of these fans are either Gen-Xers or Baby Boomers

Where in the hell did any of this come from? If others want to share their experiences and it bothers you that is on you, man.

• Like 4

So , you lost a greatest Rush fan contest? Who measures the levels of fans? No one here that i have seen.

Why would you care about how another fan compares to you as a fan?

I would just let it go man. Enjoy things as best you can. No one lives forever, as far as i know there are no exceptions.

So , you lost a greatest Rush fan contest? Who measures the levels of fans? No one here that i have seen.

I would just let it go man. Enjoy things as best you can. No one lives forever, as far as i know there are no exceptions.

The thing that gets to me is the fact that these fans that do think that people who have seen a particular band a bazillon times makes them a "real fan" also complain about and scratch their heads wondering why the younger generation doesn't appreciate classic rock.

The thing that gets to me is the fact that these fans that do think that people who have seen a particular band a bazillon times makes them a "real fan" also complain about and scratch their heads wondering why the younger generation doesn't appreciate classic rock.

Oh. Ok.

It's times like this when I question the point in even being interested in music and pop culture. I don't think there is any. Why care about something that can easily be taken away from you forever?

http://commentphotos.com/gallery/CommentPhotos.com_1392845630.jpg

• Like 6

Not sure I can, but I did see Ozzy with Randy Rhoads, and I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan in all his glory.

And sat next to Jackie O in the Drake Hotel Bar. :poke:

Please go on...

Unless this is some sort of joke I don't get.

No joke. I did sit next to her. I didn't do it purposely as I had no idea she was there when I walked in. My friend and I just picked two empty bar stools and sat down.

• Like 1

Please go on...

No joke. I did sit next to her. I didn't do it purposely as I had no idea she was there when I walked in. My friend and I just picked two empty bar stools and sat down.

So was she drunk? :)

Please go on...

No. She was drinking white wine. Apparently she was waiting for some friends. When they arrived, they went into the dining room, but not before an AP photographer arrived to snap a few pictures of her. My friend and I didn't let him go until he snapped a few of us too. :LOL:

• Like 2

It's times like this when I question the point in even being interested in music and pop culture. I don't think there is any. Why care about something that can easily be taken away from you forever?

http://commentphotos.com/gallery/CommentPhotos.com_1392845630.jpg

It's not personal or about anything on the discussion above, but I like the image and it makes me laugh. :LOL:

Come on! Enjoy music while we can! :cheers:

Edited by rhyv

No one is alive today that could have enjoyed Bach or Berlioz or Beethoven in their prime. Music exists as a separate entity than just the musicians that play it. Just like art work. I can enjoy the beautiful works of the masters but it doesn't mean I feel the need to have been there when it was created.
  • Like 2

Please go on...

No. She was drinking white wine. Apparently she was waiting for some friends. When they arrived, they went into the dining room, but not before an AP photographer arrived to snap a few pictures of her. My friend and I didn't let him go until he snapped a few of us too. :LOL:

It's not fair that I wasn't there too!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 2

Please go on...

It's not fair that I want there too!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

Well some people were there so screw you if you weren't.

• Like 2

No one is alive today that could have enjoyed Bach or Berlioz or Beethoven in their prime. Music exists as a separate entity than just the musicians that play it. Just like art work. I can enjoy the beautiful works of the masters but it doesn't mean I feel the need to have been there when it was created.

+1

• Like 2

Please go on...

Do you still have the pics? :)