What album do you think is better - Hemispheres or Moving Pictures?

Lorraine

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Not only better than Moving Pictures, but better than everything else

You wanna compare Hemispheres to something like Close To The Edge ?? .. ok, that's a conversation

But not Moving Pictures and it's tidy little group of cornball songs

Cornball? I'm curious about this description. Please elaborate

Interestingly, my favorite songs on Moving Pictures are Vital Signs and Witch Hunt

Be that as it may, I find that Tom Sawyer was the beginning of Neil's narrowing of how he approached his lyrics - and the entire concept of "Tom Sawyer" has always struck me as a bit eye-rolling

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

This period, to me, was the beginning of when Rush backed off on taking the listener on a ride and began to paint the picture for them, leaving less and less to the imagination ..

I feel the same about The Camera Eye, but I do like that song much more than Tom Sawyer

Limelight is great, as are Vital Signs ( love the lyrics there ) and Witch Hunt

YYZ is ok, but certainly not the epic piece La Villa is ...

Moving Pictures is a great album, don't get me wrong, but for me, it is Rush coming back to Earth

Interesting. I don't agree. How do songs like "Circumstances" and "The Trees" not "paint pictures"? They seem pretty specific and focused on their respective topics. I guess the songs aren't about rocket ships flying into black holes.

The Trees really is literal.

Peart has since said the song is about nothing more than trees, and no deeper meaning was intended.

There's a bridge in Brooklyn I think you would like...

When asked in the April/May 1980 Modern Drummermagazine about whether there is a message to this song, Peart said, "No. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, 'What if trees acted like people?' So I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement."

Mr. Peart contradicts himself in this quote.

To be fair I thought that as I reread the quote!

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Not only better than Moving Pictures, but better than everything else

You wanna compare Hemispheres to something like Close To The Edge ?? .. ok, that's a conversation

But not Moving Pictures and it's tidy little group of cornball songs

Cornball? I'm curious about this description. Please elaborate

Interestingly, my favorite songs on Moving Pictures are Vital Signs and Witch Hunt

Be that as it may, I find that Tom Sawyer was the beginning of Neil's narrowing of how he approached his lyrics - and the entire concept of "Tom Sawyer" has always struck me as a bit eye-rolling

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

This period, to me, was the beginning of when Rush backed off on taking the listener on a ride and began to paint the picture for them, leaving less and less to the imagination ..

I feel the same about The Camera Eye, but I do like that song much more than Tom Sawyer

Limelight is great, as are Vital Signs ( love the lyrics there ) and Witch Hunt

YYZ is ok, but certainly not the epic piece La Villa is ...

Moving Pictures is a great album, don't get me wrong, but for me, it is Rush coming back to Earth

Interesting. I don't agree. How do songs like "Circumstances" and "The Trees" not "paint pictures"? They seem pretty specific and focused on their respective topics. I guess the songs aren't about rocket ships flying into black holes.

The Trees really is literal.

Peart has since said the song is about nothing more than trees, and no deeper meaning was intended.

There's a bridge in Brooklyn I think you would like...

When asked in the April/May 1980 Modern Drummermagazine about whether there is a message to this song, Peart said, "No. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, 'What if trees acted like people?' So I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement."

Mr. Peart contradicts himself in this quote.

To be fair I thought that as I reread the quote!

Neil was hanging out in the woods smoking some righteous weed when he came up with it.
  • Like 2

Hemispheres is a masterpiece and I love every note of it, but MP has an edge in that it is more accessible. Hemispheres is appreciated only by those willing to be attentive to what they were doing at that time. Most people can listen to MP and get it? Am I right there, or am I just so used to Rush's sound that I see it that way?
  • Like 1

For a long time, I have felt a similarity between The Trees and George Orwell's Animal Farm

Maybe it is the fact that I first heard The Trees when I was 11 or 12 years old, but I never thought of it was hokey ..

Thankfully, to this day, it still strikes me as surreal - almost in an Alice In Wonderland way

I love the classical guitar too .. and that middle section is gold

oh **** it, the entire song rules

• Like 2

Side 2 of Hemispheres is the prelude to PeW. MP is an extension of PeW's greatness.

MP for me.

I love The Camera Eye, but it is probably Rush's worst epic

This amuses me for some reason. TCE is their worst epic, yet the song is epic.

• Like 2

Hemispheres is to Rush like Animals is to Pink Floyd. They get virtually no attention on radio, music media, heck, even the bands (lately Gilmour and Waters never play from it, and when was the last time anyone heard the Sphere or Bringer of Balance live or on the radio?)

Yet fan poll after fan poll indicates for each band, these two albums are not just fan favorites, but attest to their respective creativity.

Both are absolute masterpieces. Tough to use that adjective on MP.

• Like 3

Hemispheres is to Rush like Animals is to Pink Floyd. They get virtually no attention on radio, music media, heck, even the bands (lately Gilmour and Waters never play from it, and when was the last time anyone heard the Sphere or Bringer of Balance live or on the radio?)

Yet fan poll after fan poll indicates for each band, these two albums are not just fan favorites, but attest to their respective creativity.

Really? They based a tour on the ability to play it in its entirety. Because they knew no other album would bring out people like MP.

I'm personally not sure I like MP more than PeW. But it is inarguably a masterpiece.

• Like 2

For me, Moving Pictures is it.

"Witch Hunt" is a song where the music and lyrics perfectly convey the subject matter.

"Vital Signs" opens the door to the next era of Rush. An era that, for me, might be the most rewarding. I love when a band is one step ahead of its fan base.

Anyway Moving Pictures is the album. The masterpiece. Artistically. Commercially. Critically.

I can't begin to describe what it means to me.

It's interesting to me that you choose to praise two songs which are easily the worst on the album and which are worse than anything on Hemispheres.

A lot of fans unfairly rag on those songs. They are very good songs I think deserve some defense from criticism. And I don't think they are any worse than "Circumstances" or "The Trees". I always thought "The Camera Eye" is the worst song on Moving Pictures. It's a bit repetitive. But in recent years I've grown to appreciate it more.

It's grown as well on me, becoming a favorite of mine. But Vital Signs and Witch Hunt have no place on the album I think is Rush's best.

See! Unfairly rag! Seriously? No place on the album? Sheesh.

No place on an album that could be deemed the best. They'd be among the worst songs on any album Rush made prior to MP...minus the debut.

They're both better than everything on CoS.

Really? They based a tour on the ability to play it in its entirety. Because they knew no other album would bring out people like MP.

I'm personally not sure I like MP more than PeW. But it is inarguably a masterpiece.

I think Gabby is talking about the hardcore fans. I think the hardcore were happy about TMT because they'd finally hear The Camera Eye, not because they got to hear TS, Limelight, or YYZ for the umpteenth time. But I agree with you that MP is obviously the band's most accessible and most accepted album. But like most (I think) hardcore fans, MP doesn't rate as the band's best for me.

• Like 2

I think Gabby is talking about the hardcore fans. I think the hardcore were happy about TMT because they'd finally hear The Camera Eye, not because they got to hear TS, Limelight, or YYZ for the umpteenth time. But I agree with you that MP is obviously the band's most accessible and most accepted album. But like most (I think) hardcore fans, MP doesn't rate as the band's best for me.

I'm not sure there are many people going to shows now that aren't hardcore fans, and the opening bars to Tom Sawyer seemed to generate one of the highest amounts of enthusiasm, at least when I saw them on R40 and TMT.

This is kind of pet issue of mine. The hardcore fans (I sometimes say "real" fans) always seem to turn their noses up at the material that reaches a broader audience. MP has some otherworldly songs on it. I think that, more than anything, is why it's so widely revered. Anyways, it might or might not be better than PeW IMO. It has no other challengers, though.

I'm not sure there are many people going to shows now that aren't hardcore fans, and the opening bars to Tom Sawyer seemed to generate one of the highest amounts of enthusiasm, at least when I saw them on R40 and TMT.

This is kind of pet issue of mine. The hardcore fans (I sometimes say "real" fans) always seem to turn their noses up at the material that reaches a broader audience. MP has some otherworldly songs on it. I think that, more than anything, is why it's so widely revered. Anyways, it might or might not be better than PeW IMO. It has no other challengers, though.

On the last 6 years or so they toured, I'd go with about 10-14 friends (combined over different shows), and only 1 or 2 knew more than 4 or 5 Rush songs. When I sit in the back, I'd say very few people are hardcore fans...and each of those seems to have brought a significant other, friends, and/or kids who are just along for the ride.

I agree with you that TS is very well received, and I think that's because it's one of the few songs that everyone at the show actually knows. I do think it's funny, though, that you pointed to 2 tours where TS opened up the second set. They could play The Speed of Love and get a huge positive reaction in that slot.

On the last 6 years or so they toured, I'd go with about 10-14 friends (combined over different shows), and only 1 or 2 knew more than 4 or 5 Rush songs. When I sit in the back, I'd say very few people are hardcore fans...and each of those seems to have brought a significant other, friends, and/or kids who are just along for the ride.

I agree with you that TS is very well received, and I think that's because it's one of the few songs that everyone at the show actually knows. I do think it's funny, though, that you pointed to 2 tours where TS opened up the second set. They could play The Speed of Love and get a huge positive reaction in that slot.

Honestly, I chose those two because I personally hadn't seen them since the GUP tour.

Honestly, I chose those two because I personally hadn't seen them since the GUP tour.

Where did you sit for the R40 tour in Boston?

They could play The Speed of Love and get a huge positive reaction in that slot.

Oh, somehow I doubt that very much. :LOL:

I thought you of all people would have liked that comment :)

• Like 1

Geddy's side in the loge, about 1/2 way back.

It was probably my least "fun" concert, but that's probably not the fault of the fans or the band. It was a weekday, so the audience was more subdued than any of the concerts...as was I. But it was still great to just sit and concentrate on the band for 3 hours. And the pizza below the Garden was quite good for that type of venue (yes, it's always about the pizza for me).

• Like 1

It was probably my least "fun" concert, but that's probably not the fault of the fans or the band. It was a weekday, so the audience was more subdued than any of the concerts...as was I. But it was still great to just sit and concentrate on the band for 3 hours. And the pizza below the Garden was quite good for that type of venue (yes, it's always about the pizza for me).

I think, but don't know, that the pizza they serve is from Regina's, which is an old North End (the Italian section of the city) pizzeria. Going to its main location guarantees you a looong wait.

I think, but don't know, that the pizza they serve is from Regina's, which is an old North End (the Italian section of the city) pizzeria. Going to its main location guarantees you a looong wait.

I'm talking about the pizza place in North Station...the one near the Dunkin Donuts. I think it was called Crazy Dough's. Not bad...especially for a subway dive.

I'm talking about the pizza place in North Station...the one near the Dunkin Donuts. I think it was called Crazy Dough's. Not bad...especially for a subway dive.

I've actually never had it.

I've never seen them outside MA. I'm wondering now what other crowds might be like.

Moving Pictures for me and it's not even close. Look, Hemispheres is a great prog record, but Moving Pictures is the pinnacle and Rush at the top of their game in every area. The only reason a lot of people under -rate it after all these years is that it has been played to death both on radio and on the concert stage. If most people could go back and hear it for the first time again they would be doing cartwheels. Edited by presto123
  • Like 3

I will ask for the advice of my newest license plate (just switched this one from 21I2 and had LAMNETH before that one.)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p626/apetersvt/88281e1e-562f-410f-9729-c50997472a37.jpg

Edited by apetersvt
  • Like 1

I've actually never had it.

I've never seen them outside MA. I'm wondering now what other crowds might be like.

The New York crowd and the New Jersey crowd were both much more energetic and animated. Cheering everything, many more air-musicians, and generally much more of a party atmosphere. Of course, New Jersey was a Sat night, and NYC is like a weekend every night. And comparing the Tulsa crowd to a typical Tues. night crowd doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

They could play The Speed of Love and get a huge positive reaction in that slot.

I do, but I'm a realist. The only two people sitting there would be me and Patch. Maybe a handful of others. The rest would be out in the lobby doing whatever and asking each other why Rush ever chose that song to open their second set with.

I do, but I'm a realist. The only two people sitting there would be me and Patch. Maybe a handful of others. The rest would be out in the lobby doing whatever and asking each other why Rush ever chose that song to open their second set with.

I cheer just about anything at a Rush concert. I want the crowd to be as amped as possible, as that makes me enjoy the show more. Having said that, the treacherous beginning of the second set in the S&A tour did entice me to get a beer, a piss, and a stroll...but that was a unique situation with 4 consecutive clunkers being played.

• Like 2