Is RUSH Still a Rock Band?

JohnRogers

How does anyone know Geddy and Alex were in California? If you know that, do you know how long they stayed (or are staying for)?

Geddy was spotted at a Lakers game probably for Kobe's fair well tour.

Time will tell.

Wasn't Geddy just in California?

So was Alex...bet they were recording.

Hmmm… didn't know Alex was out there as well. This makes me more nervous than optimistic.

It probably went down like this:

:Alex: Hey Neil, Geddy and I are coming to California according to plan.

:geddy: Yeah Pratt. The plan to feign retirement is working. The fans will freak when we hit the road again. Guaranteed sell outs again!

:Neil: Great guys. Remember, I'm not touring again. I told you what my plans were.

:Alex: Yeah yeah yeah Neil.

:Neil: No. I'm serious this time. I'm DONE! Finito.

:geddy: C'mon Neil. We'll even let you ride your motorcycle again. We won't take away your "fun" license.

:Neil: Oh alright!

Is it crazy that I read that in their voices?

• Like 2

Time will tell.

Hmmm… didn't know Alex was out there as well. This makes me more nervous than optimistic.

:geddy: Yeah Pratt. The plan to feign retirement is working. The fans will freak when we hit the road again. Guaranteed sell outs again!

:Neil: Great guys. Remember, I'm not touring again. I told you what my plans were.

:geddy: C'mon Neil. We'll even let you ride your motorcycle again. We won't take away your "fun" license.

TM, its great to have your comedy back on TRF.

I have been thinking about how Ged would handle this since the end of R40. As Eagle said, probably its just a phone call. But this may be different. They have invested 40 years together, rose to the heights of their industry together.

As flippant as we like to make Neil seem, for him to see his nearly lifelong bandmates write and record with someone else, it may matter to him.

To get a heartfelt soulsearching process, an in person discussion may be appropriate. Geddy seems to be a very thoughtful considerate person, and may want something so important discussed in person. Or he just wanted to see the sun set over the Pacific. Double meaning??

So basically to make sure it's cool with Neil if Ged and Al make some music without him as long as they do not call it Rush?

Time will tell.

I have been thinking about how Ged would handle this since the end of R40. As Eagle said, probably its just a phone call. But this may be different. They have invested 40 years together, rose to the heights of their industry together.

As flippant as we like to make Neil seem, for him to see his nearly lifelong bandmates write and record with someone else, it may matter to him.

To get a heartfelt soulsearching process, an in person discussion may be appropriate. Geddy seems to be a very thoughtful considerate person, and may want something so important discussed in person. Or he just wanted to see the sun set over the Pacific. Double meaning??

So basically to make sure it's cool with Neil if Ged and Al make some music without him as long as they do not call it Rush?

My take its just an important decision and they want to give Neil an opportunity to include him in any ppotential capacity, writing, lyrics etc, before closing the door on such a major part of their lives.

Probably they do come up with a Rush influenced new name for the project.

• Like 2

I have real doubts Alex and Geddy think of themselves as RUSH without Neil. If Ray Danniels thought they could make a few more extra bucks as RUSH do you imagine him trying to pressure them into using the brand???

I have real doubts Alex and Geddy think of themselves as RUSH without Neil. If Ray Danniels thought they could make a few more extra bucks as RUSH do you imagine him trying to pressure them into using the brand???

No. Thats what the Ole deal was all about. Ray, Alex, Ged and Neil are set for life.

Time will tell.

Why would he care? He has no right to say anything about it. If he's free to retire, then Ged and Lerxst are free to make new music.

• Like 1

How many times have we seen a band say they were through, only to see them touring again? It is so damn silly to have all of these conversations about Rush's future. No one, not even Neil, has insinuated that they were done recording. And who is to say that we don't see Rush do some touring in the future, but maybe with a more abbreviated schedule? We don't know what the future holds. People change. What seems like a good idea (I'm speaking to Neil's decision to stop touring) at one point could change somewhere down the road.

That said, as long as Alex and Geddy can still bend a string and Neil can beat a drum, Rush is very much a band.

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 1

I thought they said they were done "touring," not recording or performing live?

Thats the hope...and Geds gonna be proud of his new tunes and wants to play them live...and...then...

Hey Grep and IL SD, are you baiting the Rush Retirement Police?

Nope. Just stating my opinion. :)

I like your opinion, but the law is always lurking. And the Rush metal convo got a bit rough over there :)

I thought they said they were done "touring," not recording or performing live?

Thats the hope...and Geds gonna be proud of his new tunes and wants to play them live...and...then...

An Evening with Geddy Lee at an arena near you.

• Like 1