What influence did your parents have on your musical taste, if any?

djflex

as far as rush goes specifically, my parents never cared about rush. my mom disliked geddy's voice for years until I started playing them all the time, and my dad's favorite is their first album - he's more of a rock purist, 2112 is as far as he goes.

How old are your parents?

younger than most of you guys - dad's 45, mom's 40

hell, lorraine is older than one of my grandmothers!

Lorraine is actually a living Egyptian Mummy. Her real name is Neferupture.

• Like 2

as far as rush goes specifically, my parents never cared about rush. my mom disliked geddy's voice for years until I started playing them all the time, and my dad's favorite is their first album - he's more of a rock purist, 2112 is as far as he goes.

They're just babies! I'd probably have to feed them with a bottle if I met them before I could find out what bands they like!

yeah, they're young, and they don't really have much in common musically with the average TRF'er. I've got all my dad's cassettes, and not a single asia or night ranger is to be found!

They're just babies! I'd probably have to feed them with a bottle if I met them before I could find out what bands they like!

yeah, they're young, and they don't really have much in common musically with the average TRF'er. I've got all my dad's cassettes, and not a single asia or night ranger is to be found!

They're grungers!

• Like 1

They're grungers!

yeah, in the 80s my dad was mostly into thrash and hardcore, my mom would've got into music around the time grunge got big. my dad bought bleach and louder than love when they came out, as well as melvins' bullhead album... they're more turned on by rawness and simplicity. prog rock and jazz fusion was the only way to rebel!

• Like 2

lot of thrash tapes though

Oh well that's good!

yeah, he had all the big 4 stuff, exodus, testament, DRI, every voivod up to angel rat, kreator, corrosion of conformity's early stuff, sacred reich, venom, celtic frost

• Like 1

My dad saw The Beatles in Hamburg...that's all...

...oh, and he was a big Chubby Checker and Wanda Jackson fan.

• Like 4

Oh well that's good!

yeah, he had all the big 4 stuff, exodus, testament, DRI, every voivod up to angel rat, kreator, corrosion of conformity's early stuff, sacred reich, venom, celtic frost

What about Overkill that could be the deal-breaker?

I do think that if I'd gotten into like, britney spears or something my dad eventually would've had a chat with me though.

That'd be a more serious chat than if you were dressing up like her. :16ton:

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

Oh well that's good!

What about Overkill that could be the deal-breaker?

don't remember any tapes but he's a fan

• Like 1

Oh well that's good!

Well thats pretty cool.

I do think that if I'd gotten into like, britney spears or something my dad eventually would've had a chat with me though.

If a I had a son your age and he told me that he had gotten into Britney Spears, he'd get this... :fistbump:
  • Like 1

My parents married in 1953 (they're still married 62 years later and still alive & kicking at ages 83 & 82) so by the time Elvis and early rock & roll hit they were past the age of that imprinting on them Besides, my mom is utterly uninterested in music and never listens to it. My dad however, enjoys music and grew up in the Swing era, e.g. Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, etc. and as a result I was exposed to tat early on. It didn't do a lot for me when I was younger, but I've grown to like it more and more as I've gotten older.

Oh, and he now listens to some early rock stuff, late 50s and early 60s. He loves the Beach Boys.

• Like 2

If a I had a son your age and he told me that he had gotten into Britney Spears, he'd get this... :fistbump:

:LOL: "new age" parent, eh? personally, I wouldn't think a 20 year-old male and his father engaging in some harmless ribbing over each other's tastes would result in any lasting damage, but who knows.

hey, here's another interesting topic - did any of us have an influence on our parents' tastes? I actually got my mom to appreciate rush, 70s genesis, maiden, other stuff she'd written off

Yes, but only if it was pleasing to the ear, in her estimation. I used to make my mom mix tapes all the time when I was a kid. Some of the gentler Queen stuff, like Love of my Life, Genesis tunes like You Have Your Own Special Way, lots of acoustic Tull tunes . . . I'm not sure if any Rush made it to tape.

• Like 1

hey, here's another interesting topic - did any of us have an influence on our parents' tastes? I actually got my mom to appreciate rush, 70s genesis, maiden, other stuff she'd written off

No, i dont think so. I dont think my mom even knew alot of my bands

My mom always liked female vocalists so she enjoyed when we let her know about Carole King and Carly Simon; she turned out to like the Beach Boys and Elton John a lot too. Can't quite picture her with Maiden, although we used to be able to play Purple's "Machine Head" louder than all the rest. ;) ;)

• Like 1

None at all...

The thing is, my parents actually had some really good taste in music eg the Stones, Doors, Deep Purple etc, but I would rather have stuck a red hot poker up my jacksie than listen to the same music my parents did at the time.

Obviously that has changed now, and I have discussions frequently with my mother about music

• Like 1

Yeah, I've gotten my mom into some music throughout the years. She really likes Danzig, but I think that's because she loved Elvis. Rush never did it for her though. :LOL:

Edited by Stormtron

No way, my parents are pretty anti-anything else. If it's not classical, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, etc., then they're not interested.

No, but I have found out about many bands that I grew to love from my oldest daughter, such as Foo Fighters, Tool, to name a couple.

• Like 1