Rush committed to one more album

x1yyz

How about they do the worst possible album imaginable? Every bad idea they ever shit-canned every bad lyrical theme all played in various musical styles they suck at? And leave in bad takes and mistakes...errant sounds.. Coughing burping flatulence... Name it "f**k ups and Bloopers"...it's one finale that won't be soon forgotten !!!

Tom Sawyer Meets Bi-Tor

Gnomes On Ice

Lakeside Park II

How about they do the worst possible album imaginable? Every bad idea they ever shit-canned every bad lyrical theme all played in various musical styles they suck at? And leave in bad takes and mistakes...errant sounds.. Coughing burping flatulence... Name it "f**k ups and Bloopers"...it's one finale that won't be soon forgotten !!!

That was Snakes and Arrows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterparts_%28album%29

Not their highest charting of release week ever!

RUSH

RACE AGAINST TIME

Book & Cover 4:55

Melatonin (Instrumental) 5:17

Wok, Don’t Lun (Instrumental) 7:32

(leaked)

You're a funny guy...like clown funny.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/554786186bb3f78f7d33ba2f-960/one-of-the-most-famous-scenes-in-goodfellas-is-based-on-something-that-actually-happened-to-joe-pesci.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the album that followed a platinum record which made the band relevant again and flushed the progress down the toilet.

And John Rutsey is dead.

...or is he??? The next album could be called *Jurassic John Rutsey, we have the technology.

I realize John Rutsey was not alive during the Jurassic period but people are simple minded.

You sure are!
  • Like 1

And John Rutsey is dead.

...or is he??? The next album could be called *Jurassic John Rutsey, we have the technology.

I realize John Rutsey was not alive during the Jurassic period but people are simple minded.

You sure are!

:(

Yes, the album that followed a platinum record which made the band relevant again and flushed the progress down the toilet.

Ever catch the recording of a toilet flushing in stereo in 5.1 surround with grunge guitars, it awesome!

From The Music Express, http://themusicexpre...future-unclear/

"Ole general manager, Andy Curran, confirmed that Rush ... is committed to at least one more studio project."

In reference to the original post in this thread, Rush Is A Band said today, "I think Geddy and Alex at least are hopeful that Rush will put out a new album, but saying they are committed makes it sound like they are legally bound and that it's a done deal (they aren't and it's not)." So all of our talk about the band being contractually obligated to provide an additional album seems to have no grounding in truth. Assuming RIAB is correct, that is.

Those usually aren't iron clad. Some have out together greatest hits with one new song and managed to meet the requirements as well.

Yep. And the reality is that none of us have read the language of the contract. There could be some various out options in there that Curran has not considered, is not aware of, or just does not want to mention for reasons of wanting to coax another full studio project. The article suggests that Curran is new to the Rush management scene by way of purchasing Anthem/SRO. If so, has a very obvious motivation to make a broad comment they are obligated to one more studio project, without providing all the accurate details that may not favor his position.

And even if the band is truly committed to one full studio project by contract, the reality is the company would have to be willing to enforce that contract. In other words, the company would have to be willing to sue the band to get the final studio project. While that seems a "legally logical" thing to do, it is not necessarily so. Let's say the band is sued and forced to put together a new studio album. Let's say Neil decides he does not want to do it and Geddy and Alex have to bring on a different drummer to meet the obligation. Is the record company going to get its "bang for the buck" with a Peart-less Rush studio album? That is a risk. Let's say Neil reluctantly and half-heartedly agrees only out of legal obligation and his connection to Geddy and Alex. Is the record company going to get is "bang for the buck" with an album in which Peart may be "mailing it in" in regard to the contract? A situation in which there may be tension within the band because of that? That is equally a risk.

These contracts often also include record company commitments about promoting said albums, meaning there is a cost for the company to accept a project and close out the deal. A simple cost-benefit analysis might tell the record company it is not worth enforcing the obligation. Instead, the company could (and I would bet likely) offer to Geddy and/or Alex the ability to meet the obligation to meet the Rush requirement with a solo project of some sort.

All that said.... the band just came off a tour and has not been in the studio for a couple of years. Let's give it some time and see where Neil is in a couple of years (I know, I know.... patience). He could very well be interested in recording at some point (there are a lot of studios near Neil's home, after all).

Many, many great points in WorkingAllTheTime's post. I esp. like and agree with your last paragraph. Lets give them time (yes, they are not getting younger - I know that) and space. Lets enjoy all the studio albums, live albums and live DVD's they have given us. Lets enjoy the memories of all the shows we have seen them play. Lets enjoy Neil's book's. Perhaps we will get some more live CD's and or DVD's from their vaults.

I have considered the same thing WorkingAllTheTime mentioned. Perhaps at some point in the future Neil would be interested in doing a studio album. That would be New Rush music. In some ways I would rather have that then another tour - esp. with Neil in pain, Alex with whatever medical issues he has and Geddy's voice not getting any younger. Plus that album would be ours to listen to again and again over the years.

Keep in mind that Neil has always written the lyrics for Rush and some, such as Working Them Angles, started out as poems he wrote and which Geddy asked him if they could convert into a song. He may, or may not, have more around which they might be able to turn into songs quickly - heck their might be enough we could get a double CD out of it!! Yes, I am greedy (and dreaming!!) but why not hope and dream??

Its clear touring with Neil is OUT but would they have Neil write the songs and do the drums on the album and, with Neil's blessing, tour with another drummer?? I strongly doubt it but perhaps.

One last thing - this public back and forth between the guys is not good. Not good at all. It will lead to the guys talking at one another and not to one another. That will result in all sorts of feelings being hurt even more than they may have already been. At some point Geddy and Neil need to sit down and talk this out. Perhaps bring the happy go lucky stoner Alex to mediate. Or bring Ray D. into mediate. Forget about the music. I just want them to sort this out so that it does not rupture / destroy the long friendship / working relationship the guys have had. Any friendship between the guys is a heck of a lot more important (or, IMO, it should be) than any more Rush music.

Mr Accountant, I'd like to believe Geddy would get on the phone with Neil if his public comments start becoming a problem.

Agreed. But my concern is that you have one basically saying he is retired. The other saying well, lets wait, perhaps not & what is the definition of retired. Plus Geddy, on the Sirus radio interview with Michael Moore joking about the air drumming he sees at shows and he said something like "I wonder if any of those folks need a job". It was not that exactly but it was sort of like that. I heard that interview and to me Geddy did not sound happy - he sounded rather P.O.'ed

Its almost like - and I am reading into what I am hearing & fearing the worst - that Geddy want to play more, tour more and wants to keep Neil in the band. Neil is saying no but its almost like Geddy is not moving on. Remember Neil has not ben happy touring for many years - as early as 1989 he threatened to become a studio only player. So they have had it out (in some form or fashion) in private in the past over this issue.

Maybe Neil understand that Geddy does not want to take no for an answer so he is trying not to "have it out" and be known as the guy who ended Rush? Consequently, rather than doing it face to face, he is breaking the news in the press. That way he can say "I am retired" and move on with a minimum of drama. Or perhaps he has made it clear in private and he feels that Geddy s just not accepting it so he is going about severing the relationship (or at least touring relationship) in a public manner?

As far as I am concerned Neil is retired from touring - although studio albums could be another matter. I wish him a very long and joyful retirement. My concern is, and its based on gut feeling, plus a lot of little things including the somewhat differing public stances of Neil's retirement, that their is a bit of a chasm opening between them and they are not really talking to each other. Perhaps the "talking at one another" I mentioned above has started already.

I don't want Rush to end with bad feelings. Al good things must end and if Rush is going to end I want the guys to be on good terms. So yes, I agree, I would like to assume they would talk things out. I hope they do. But I just have bad feeling about this - or at least great concerns.

I'm on board with TheAccountant here. Geddy's recent comments on the issue sound just a bit too biting. I don't know the man at all, but I've read a lot of his comments and seen a lot of his interviews over the years, and the veiled jabs he's been throwing are out of character. Whether they're read in context or not, it is hard to see how they will make it any more likely that Neil will want to do any sort of future projects with Alex and Geddy.

And I understand Geddy's level of frustration. It's great when you find an occupation that you find highly satisfying, and that is well paying to boot. And I doubt there are many greater feelings in Geddy's life than when the band is cooking and the crowds are going bonkers and he's hitting all the right notes. With that feeling in mind, to have it all taken away by forces that are entirely out of your control has got to be difficult.

It would be a shame if the legacy of three guys that stayed together for four decades was that they no longer talked to one another when it was over. No, that doesn't affect any of the music they made, or the many memories they gave me, but it would be a shame nonetheless.

I'm on board with TheAccountant here. Geddy's recent comments on the issue sound just a bit too biting. I don't know the man at all, but I've read a lot of his comments and seen a lot of his interviews over the years, and the veiled jabs he's been throwing are out of character. Whether they're read in context or not, it is hard to see how they will make it any more likely that Neil will want to do any sort of future projects with Alex and Geddy.

And I understand Geddy's level of frustration. It's great when you find an occupation that you find highly satisfying, and that is well paying to boot. And I doubt there are many greater feelings in Geddy's life than when the band is cooking and the crowds are going bonkers and he's hitting all the right notes. With that feeling in mind, to have it all taken away by forces that are entirely out of your control has got to be difficult.

It would be a shame if the legacy of three guys that stayed together for four decades was that they no longer talked to one another when it was over. No, that doesn't affect any of the music they made, or the many memories they gave me, but it would be a shame nonetheless.

I agree 100% with everything you said. In particular, your second paragraph is actually something I started to think about after I made my last post. Like you, I don't blame Geddy for being frustrated at all and for the reasons you mentioned. That being said, I am wondering if its even more than that.

In both "Beyond the Lighted Stage" and the Rolling Stone interview this summer Geddy touched upon his upbringing and his drive to keep playing and touring due the loss of his dad and all that he put his mother (and grandmother) through. He definitely mentioned it during the Michael M. interview on Sirus radio last month. Its clear (IMO) that this almost a debt he feels he owes to his fathers memory and to his mother for everything he put her through. Consequently, this debt is a huge factor in his decision making.

So, you have Geddy who admits that he has very personal, family based reasons for wanting to continue to tour (as long as he can). You have Neil who admits he has very personal, family based reasons for wanting not to continue to tour. Ouch.

Who is right? They both are. Double ouch.

Touring has been an issue for a long time (at least since 1989) and we know that the length of tours definitely came up on the VT tour. Neil wrote in the notes for the Rush in Rio CD / DVD that he only wanted to play about 40 show and got talked into 60+ shows and then got talked into, against his wish's, playing Mexico and Brazil.

So, if I read this correctly, you have Geddy & Neil pulling hard in opposite directions. Plus its been a long simmering bone of contention between Neil and Geddy, if not both Geddy and Alex. For Geddy to have much of this taken away, much of a possible future he has literally worked his entire life for - ouch. Not only losing the emotional satisfaction, as an artist, of playing well to large crowds and making $ but losing something more. Ouch again. At the same time Neil needs what he needs and it seems like they may not be really talking which concerns me greatly.

Hope they can figure this out but, more than the music, I hope they can figure this out amicably. They always have in the past but they are really getting pulled in opposite directions here - hard. I am totally with your comments on that.

One last point which is not so doom and gloom. If they are under contract for 1 more album, would releasing a re-mix of CA count?? Some here have suggested a re-mix of CA would improve the album. The re-mix of VT definitely improved that album (IMO).