The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

They're ok as musicians but some of their lyrics are a bit "off" because English is their second language. The Scorpions and Roxette had that problem too. Those bands should hire a fully bilingual consultant or whatever to help them with their songwriting. Edited by Boots

They're ok as musicians but some of their lyrics are a bit "off" because English is their second language. The Scorpions and Roxette had that problem too. Those bands should hire a fully bilingual consultant or whatever to help them with their songwriting.

That's fine! What songs have you tried?

Personally I love the "off" lyrics. The early albums are awash with really poetic lyrical imagery as they sought to capture feelings in place of being perfectly literal.

Maybe they'll slowly add in new songs as the tour goes on like Megadeth did for their most recent tour. Started out only doing one new tune and by the time I saw them a month later, they had five new songs in the set.

I hope so! I may sadly not see them this year but I hope the setlists are Delirium heavy!

To be honest........i don't pay attention to a single lyric these guys sing. i'm in it for the playing, hooks and Chris's vocals.

Mick

NO "H"!

Haha yeah I get that.

I just adore them though so I am in it for EVERYTHING! Haha

• Like 1

To be honest........i don't pay attention to a single lyric these guys sing. i'm in it for the playing, hooks and Chris's vocals.

Mick

NO "H"!

Haha yeah I get that.

i knew that i was just uh testing you.....yea that's it, lol

yea these guys could sing about lighting farts. and it still be so pretty, lol

Mick

Mick

NO "H"!

Haha yeah I get that.

Mick

I honestly lobe Delirium now.

But it doesn't come close to Broken Crown Halo for me!

• Like 1

Mick

NO "H"!

Haha yeah I get that.

Mick

I honestly lobe Delirium now.

But it doesn't come close to Broken Crown Halo for me!

Delirium's a good album. but it's bottom of the pack for me.

I prefer they leave that sound behind next one. but for what it is it's pretty good.

Mick

• Like 1

Broken Crown Halo in my opinion is the bands best modern album, objectively speaking I would even say it surpasses Karmacode for me.

Sure, it hasn't got that nostalgic vibe for me but I think BCH is the bands most underrated album. It sold badly...and the hype didn't exist for it.

Broken Crown Halo in my opinion is the bands best modern album, objectively speaking I would even say it surpasses Karmacode for me.

Sure, it hasn't got that nostalgic vibe for me but I think BCH is the bands most underrated album. It sold badly...and the hype didn't exist for it.

BCH. may Be my number 2 album after Karmacode. it's fantastic. Following that up would have let me down a bit no matter what they did.

that's how much of a high water mark BCH is to me.

Mick

BCH. may Be my number 2 album after Karmacode. it's fantastic. Following that up would have let me down a bit no matter what they did.

Mick

Same. I wasn't expecting better but I am pleased it is different!

They're ok as musicians but some of their lyrics are a bit "off" because English is their second language. The Scorpions and Roxette had that problem too. Those bands should hire a fully bilingual consultant or whatever to help them with their songwriting.

That can be said for their early stuff up through Comalies. But since Karmacode they've gotten a lot better with it and their English, both in the way they write lyrics and how the pronounce the words while singing is excellent now. It's really evident on Broken Crown Halo. I was most impressed with how good their English is on that album. I often wonder if they know how to pronounce words better in English while singing than when they're talking it.

Mick

If you're into them for the playing, you're gonna get bored really quick :LOL:

Some bands strength is in their playing but theirs is the signing and melodic hooks. So, I pay attention to the lyrics a lot because the singing is the main reason I listen to them. They are masters of the melodic vocal hook whether they're speaking proper English or not.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Mick

BCH made me a major fan of theirs again. I was disappointed with Karmacode and Shallow Life. It seems a huge amount of their fan base bailed after Shallow Life and I was one of them. Didn't give DA much of a chance when it was released. I listened to it once and immediately brushed it off. I wasn't too concerned with listening to BCH at first either. But my friend, the person who got me into to them back when Comalies was new, kept telling me to listen to it. He just knew I was gonna like BCH a lot. He was right.

I went into my first listen not expecting much but the chorus to Zombies reawakened the love I had for them when I first heard it. I was thinking, "awesome! where they hell has this been the last few years?" That pretty much how I feel about all the songs on it. I'm actually quite surprised when I read a lot of fans saying they don't like the album that much. I honestly have no clue what they're listening to and how they could possibly expect a better effort than they gave on BCH.

Edited by J2112YYZ

That can be said for their early stuff up through Comalies. But since Karmacode they've gotten a lot better with it and their English, both in the way they write lyrics and how the pronounce the words while singing is excellent now. It's really evident on Broken Crown Halo. I was most impressed with how good their English is on that album. I often wonder if they know how to pronounce words better in English while singing than when they're talking in it.

Mick

If you're into them for the playing, you're gonna get bored really quick :LOL:

Some bands strength is in their playing but theirs is the signing and melodic hooks. So, I pay attention to the lyrics a lot because the singing is the main reason I listen to them. They are masters of the melodic vocal hook whether they're speaking proper English or not.

I agree with all this.

Vocally, Lacuna Coil are my favourite band of all time. The combined vocals are to my ears the best I have ever heard, the contrasting personality and chemistry is just magic to my ears. The way they use vocals as an instrument, such as the break in Distant Sun or all over Karmacode, is just really special.

And Andrea, I truly love his voice. I love the man he truly has always to me been a real reason why I adore this band. The way the songs perfectly combine his and Cri's voice.

Angel's Punishment, Victims, House Of Shame, Within Me, My Wings...I love their chemistry it is just my everything.

Honestly agree about the musicality side but for me I love their strengths and I adore that they exploit and seek to perfect those strengths.

And musically, Broken Crown Halo is a great record. And I adore the experimental side of Comalies and yes, I adore the bass heavy Karmacode. Marco Coti Zelati is my favourite bassist.

Mick

BCH made me a major fan of theirs again. I was disappointed with Karmacode and Shallow Life. It seems a huge amount of their fan base bailed after Shallow Life and I was one of them. Didn't give DA much of a chance when it was released. I listened to it once and immediately brushed it off. I wasn't too concerned with listening to BCH at first either. But my friend, the person who got me into to them back when Comalies was new, kept telling me to listen to it. He just knew I was gonna like BCH a lot. He was right.

I went into my first listen not expecting much but the chorus to Zombies reawakened the love I had for them when I first heard it. I was thinking, "awesome! where they hell has this been the last few years?" That pretty much how I feel about all the songs on it. I'm actually quite surprised when I read a lot of fans saying they don't like the album that much. I honestly have no clue what they're listening to and how they could possibly expect a better effort than they gave on BCH.

When Shallow Life came out I was really into chart music at the time because I was surrounded by it. I love rnb anyway and I know Cri is a massive Destiny's Child fan, so the commercial flavour suited me. Was it my favourite? Never. But I really love the album. Fantastic summer music.

As for Dark Adrenaline, I remember them saying they wanted to keep the straightforward approach of Shallow Life but beef it up. It is to me one of the most fun albums in my collection, and I love every track.

Then Broken Crown Halo came along and brought back a strong Comalies vibe. I can't tell you just how much I love the record but it's just fantastic to me. Only downside is Die And Rise. Excellent commercial number bogged down by cartoonish lyrics. But to be honest I never skip it.

As for Delirium, considering I felt the three songs initially released were a little off, not in terms of quality but more that two out of three felt generic, I expected the worst.

In fact I think the album is really fun. For all the talk about tackling deep subject matter and the like, I personally think the album is an upbeat pop metal joy, like Shallow Life had they recorded it on tour with Rob Zombie. I would put it second to last, maybe last. It doesn't at all live up to the last two records for me, but considering I was prepared for that I don't at all feel disappointed!

It's a real pleasure to listen too!

I have a really personal connection to Lacuna Coil. Nightwish, Within Temptation and The Juliana Theory come close, as does Bruce Springsteen who literally means the world to me, but LC...the bond is deep. And I will say Cri was a big factor in my growing love. She may not be the most accomplished singer on the planet but their is a magic about her, something profoundly special to me, that just thrills me. Stevie Nicks on top form has the same magic, as does Myles Kennedy.

But yeah...Broken Crown Halo to my ears is a near perfect record. Victims and One Cold Day are two of my favourite songs of all time, and I Forgive is one of my favourite LC singles.

Shallow life is great. it's more light pop/rock but so what. I love it.

Mick

My gripes are that I still feel the producer was the wrong choice. I disliked the American rock radio sound and Cri had a lot of autotune. Plus, never been a big fan of Underdog or The Maze, and I miss a lot of the textures of previous albums. I like what they were trying to do and I still love most of the songs. Especially the bonus tracks. But I do love the album. To me, at this point in time, a weaker LC album is high on my list of all time favourites. Not sure if they will always impress but some bands never fail me.

By the time of DA, LC were mostly in control and they have said Don Gilmore, the producer of Shallow Life, took a back seat during production. It shows and I am grateful to that.

I also think LC had better melodies on older albums and since SL. SL to me felt very bland, and the vocal chemistry between Cri and Andi is the worst it has ever been. I just don't think Don Gilmore, who produced Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Avril Lavigne records, quite understood what made LC an underground sensation, what made them tick as a band. Had DA followed Karmacode, I reckon things would have been a lot different, bit SL felt unnatural, but otherwise musically and lyrically it was a jarring transformation, bit it did help the band develop inot the band that ultimately naI led that bombastic gothic flavoured pop metal that I have since loved as much as the earlier sound.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Delirium debuted on the US charts at #33 with 13,000 copies sold. That's the same amount that BCH sold, so at least they haven't lost any fans between albums this time :cool:

Yeah I noticed that!

Number one on the metal chart, number two on the rock chart and number ten on iTunes US.

The album sold about 2000 copies in the UK. WT and NW both went top twenty with their last releases, which I find strange as the music they release is not as UK friendly as LC's!

Really digging the new LC album. Wasn't into them before this album. Heard some samples on iTunes and thought I would give the album a spin. I never dug this type of music at all. Italian Gothic Metal. Not a fan of the male voice. But it has its purpose. The girl sounds very good. Drums sound like a machine. It works but maybe they should have a real drummer who can play the notes in real time instead of pro tool it. Bass drum at least. Will give their other records a spin. But if it doesn't sound like Delierum will pass
  • Like 1

Really digging the new LC album. Wasn't into them before this album. Heard some samples on iTunes and thought I would give the album a spin. I never dug this type of music at all. Italian Gothic Metal. Not a fan of the male voice. But it has its purpose. The girl sounds very good. Drums sound like a machine. It works but maybe they should have a real drummer who can play the notes in real time instead of pro tool it. Bass drum at least. Will give their other records a spin. But if it doesn't sound like Delierum will pass

If you like this album I recommend Dark Adrenaline and Comalies. Especially Comalies.

If you like this album I recommend Dark Adrenaline and Comalies. Especially Comalies.

I would definitely go with Comalies next if you like Delirium. Save Drark Adrenaline for after you've heard the really good stuff from them. Lol.

I would definitely go with Comalies next if you like Delirium. Save Drark Adrenaline for after you've heard the really good stuff from them. Lol.

You do realise you are an exception when it comes to Dark Adrenaline. It's one of their best albums.

You do realise you are an exception when it comes to Dark Adrenaline. It's one of their best albums.

Am I?

I would rank it second to last. Their first three albums, BCH and Delirium are just too good for DA to get any higher with me.