The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

MY COPY ARRIVED THIS MORNING!

A day late...but better late than never!

My love for this album is rapidly increasing!

I shall have to hunt down this deluxe edition of which you speak.

Even though the record was available yesterday, my time has not been...so I am still sitting here, Delirium-less. (And at work at 6:00 AM on a Saturday- so even less thrilled).

Going out of town for a bit of the weekend. But when I get to it, it will be a treat!

• Like 1

I shall have to hunt down this deluxe edition of which you speak.

Even though the record was available yesterday, my time has not been...so I am still sitting here, Delirium-less. (And at work at 6:00 AM on a Saturday- so even less thrilled).

Going out of town for a bit of the weekend. But when I get to it, it will be a treat!

Haha play it loud!

It's heavier than Broken Crown Halo, and more twisted!

And Live To Tell is giving Enjoy The Silence a run for its money when it comes to my favourite LC cover.

I thought the original version was already great...now I doubt I will ever care to listen to it again!

• Like 1

It's verging on 9/10

I know I skip two songs but I ripped the album into lossless files and now have a 12 track album with the bonus tracks and I love it almost as much as BCH and Comalies!

It's just getting better and better! Especially on a stereo!

I am going to try and rate the songs on Delirium:

1. House Of Shame- still amazed by this song. I DID NOT EVER EXPECT THIS! Although I did want it...10/10

2. Broken Things- I really do like this song. But after a few plays, I am thinking that this is definitely more of an album filler than a standout moment. Lovely chorus, but it feels a little ordinary after House Of Shame. If this is a leftover from the Broken Crown Halo sessions, I would not be surprised! 7/10

3. Delirium- Wonderful anthem! Very much an old school LC moment, it reminds me strongly of Comalies era LC, and I think it is a powerful album track. It definitely benefits from being a part of the album experience, as when it was released as a single before the release, it sort of underwhelmed. But never mind, I am reviewing the album! As a part of the record, it's a great moment! 9/10

4. Blood, Sweat, Tears- I LOVE THIS SONG! I get a Prodigy vibe with a dash of Nine Inch Nails. Perfect song and it is explosive. Definitely proof that LC are willing to try new things. I have never heard them sound quite like this before, and it reminds me of the more experimental moments of Comalies, but only in the sense that this sounds like NOTHING that has come from them prior to this. 10/10

5. Downfall- Now I am surprised by this. Why? I just like it. So many fans are singling this out as a classic song and one of the albums best, and believe me I wanted it to be! Bit in spite of Myles Kennedy's fine bluesy solo, I found this song fairly tepid. It is nice, but not a patch on One Cold Day, My Spirit or Humane, songs that I think are comparable. Still a great song, but it gets a little lost in the mix for me. 8/10

6. Take Me Home- YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SONG! From the opening children's chant (which reminds me of Nightwish's Scaretale), to the almost rnb club banger style chorus, to the HEAVY male vocals and the fantastic song arrangement, I just love this! It really gets me pumped to do something. Fantastic shot of melodic energy! 10/10

7. You Love Me 'Cause I Hate You- This song strongly remind me of I Forgive (But Won't Forget You), which was one of my favourite moments on Broken Crown Halo. It could easily be a great single, but I also feel it is a little too familiar sounding to really be a great representation of Delirium. But I love the layered chorus, with Andi roaring the songs title and Cri's underlying vocals really keeping the melody alive. Really great song! 9/10

8. Ghost In The Mist- Another banging track! This song was a real treat when it came out, but because I found it very similar to House Of Shame, I half expected Delirium to be a really samey album. Thankfully, it isn't! 8/10

9. My Demons- I am not that keen on this song. I don't like the swearing, but it also feels a little ordinary. Broken Crown Halo had songs that remind of this, only I like them more. 5/10

10. Claustrophobia- Not a fan of this one either. It's just okay. 4/10

11. Ultima Ratio- This might just be my favourite song on the album! An instant classic, I live the electronic elements entwined with the harsh vocals of Andi and a surprisingly aggressive Cri! The chorus is likely my favourite of the entire record. 10/10

BONUS TRACKS:

12. Live To Tell- Lacuna Coil took a Madonna classic and turned it into a dark and haunting Lacuna Coil ballad. Sure, they didn't write the song but they make this song their own in much the same way as they did Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence ten years ago on Karmacode. I love it! Cristina Scabbia's most emotional vocals are to be found here. 10/10

13. Breakdown- I love this song! It should have been on the album proper. Intense male vocals and a great chorus. I love it. 9/10

14. Bleed The Pain- Again, I love this. Amazing vocals! Just adore the heaviness. 9/10

I am still not sure if I like this album more than Broken Crown Halo or Dark Adrenaline, but it's better than Shallow Life at the very least!

It isn't a top five album for me, but that doesn't change the fact that I am so proud of Lacuna Coil for the changes they made on this album. It feels totally free, and they haven't sounded this energetic in years!

9/10 (standard album is an 8)

this is officially a shelfer. i played a lot in Pennslyvania. i mean a lot.

nothing works on it for me.

it's ok........i have their other stuff.

Mick

Tis all cool. It's had nothing but praise so far so I am wondering if those who dislike it are waiting to see if it grows before they say anything.

I am over the moon with it but not to the point where I can say it's RIGHT AT THE TOP END OF THEIR BEST STUFF.

Because it isn't. Not for me.

• Like 1

this is officially a shelfer. i played a lot in Pennslyvania. i mean a lot.

nothing works on it for me.

it's ok........i have their other stuff.

Mick

Tis all cool. It's had nothing but praise so far so I am wondering if those who dislike it are waiting to see if it grows before they say anything.

I am over the moon with it but not to the point where I can say it's RIGHT AT THE TOP END OF THEIR BEST STUFF.

Because it isn't. Not for me.

Yea it's 1 bump in the road for me. but i can't be upset cause they have been fantastic.

Mick

• Like 1

I downloaded the album and am giving it a listen right now. I am not familiar with all of the LC discography but this sounds like music I've been wanting to hear.

Andrea sounds good.

• Like 1

I downloaded the album and am giving it a listen right now. I am not familiar with all of the LC discography but this sounds like music I've been wanting to hear.

Andrea sounds good.

It is the best reviewed album since 2002. It is really making an impact, in many countries it went to number one on the metal charts and non-fans are giving them a second chance!

I, for one, am pleased with it. I can't believe they left their comfort zone and I have said now for three albums that they sounded like they were holding back just a little. There are moments,especially on Broken Crown Halo, where I got the sense they were wanting to break out of their formula and now they have!

And guess what?! Not only is this the first album since 2006 without an American producer, this is also the bands first self produced album.

What we are hearing is what I suspect they have wanted to be since at least the Dark Adrenaline era!

• Like 1

Okay I'm more than halfway through. Not done yet, though. A few things:

-I keep hearing that simple rumbly heavy distorted guitar riff in plenty of songs and it's giving me listener's fatigue. the guitar tone itself is pretty nice, although production-wise I actually think it could've been crisper!

-production is not anemic but it's not super organic either. It's adequate

-vocals are beautiful.

• Like 2

-I keep hearing that simple rumbly heavy distorted guitar riff in plenty of songs and it's giving me listener's fatigue. the guitar tone itself is pretty nice, although production-wise I actually think it could've been crisper!

-vocals are beautiful.

Yea i agree. 3 songs in i got a bit of a headache......but the productions not horrid.......but it is a chore on the ear's.

Mick

• Like 1

-vocals are beautiful.

I am going to say I find the mixing a little...off. On some songs I find Cri's vocals very layered and almost robotic. Which is a shame as you can hear she is doing a beautiful job!

Also, the album was recorded without a dominant guitarist. All solos are from guest musicians. The main guitars are from the bassist and principal songwriter Marco Coti-Zelati, and I think they were recorded in a rush as their guitarist left literally as they were recording the album.

But that "listeners fatigue" faded for me after a few listens.

-vocals are beautiful.

Yea i agree. 3 songs in i got a bit of a headache......but the productions not horrid.......but it is a chore on the ear's.

Mick

For all my praise of this album, I cannot deny that I miss those mellow moments. I know it could be argued Downfall fills that void, but I don't think so.

I know so many will be like "they are doing new things blah blah blah" but I'd have loved a few moments like Entwined, One Cold Day or End Of Time in place of Broken Things, My Demons or Claustrophobia.

In fact, I removed My Demons and Claustrophobia and kept the bonus tracks and found, with Live To Tell breaking up the heavier Ultima Ratio from Breakdown, the record felt a bit more dynamic.

All in all, I really am in love with Delirium.

But after Broken Crown Halo, which is still growing on me to the point I could easily see it knock out Comalies from my top three, Delirium is at the bottom. Hard to explain why...

But after Broken Crown Halo, which is still growing on me to the point I could easily see it knock out Comalies from my top three, Delirium is at the bottom. Hard to explain why...

weird thing about BCH is i think i dislike it. but i play it and i'm like.......why do i think i dislike this, lol

Mick

• Like 1

weird thing about BCH is i think i dislike it. but i play it and i'm like.......why do i think i dislike this, lol

Mick

Funny, I was like that for a good ten months. I thought it was subpar but every time I played it...I played it again!

Whereas with Delirium, I can't stop playing it, but I also know it isn't one of their best.

Broken Crown Halo stunned me. OK, Die And Rise isn't one of their finest moments but the entire album is heavy and so LC.

But as heavy as Delirium is, emotionally to me it feels weightless. I don't know why, it isn't a shallow album but I fail to understand why being louder and more in your face equates darkness. It feels and sounds exuberant! I could play it at the gym or as I get ready for partying.

Some people said Take Me Home was sinister and chilling in reviews, and all I can say is they are wimps!

Mick

Funny, I was like that for a good ten months. I thought it was subpar but every time I played it...I played it again!

Whereas with Delirium, I can't stop playing it, but I also know it isn't one of their best.

Broken Crown Halo stunned me. OK, Die And Rise isn't one of their finest moments but the entire album is heavy and so LC.

But as heavy as Delirium is, emotionally to me it feels weightless. I don't know why, it isn't a shallow album but I fail to understand why being louder and more in your face equates darkness. It feels and sounds exuberant! I could play it at the gym or as I get ready for partying.

Some people said Take Me Home was sinister and chilling in reviews, and all I can say is they are wimps!

i said this is a tounge in cheek album. and it is. i own dark depressing albums and this isn't one of them, lol

Their just having fun and it shows.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

i said this is a tounge in cheek album. and it is. i own dark depressing albums and this isn't one of them, lol

Their just having fun and it shows.

Mick

So many will hate this, but to me it is the heavy and more accomplished sibling to Shallow Life. Both feel so carefree and buoyan, and I love it!

And just as Shallow Life felt like a breath of fresh air after four rather deep and melancholy albums (yes, including Karmacode), Delirium feels like another rebirth.

Maybe LC go in stages of four. To my ears, In A Reverie through to Karmacode feel like one era, Shallow Life expanded upon Karmacode but CHANGED THINGS UP and even up to BCH I really sensed a lot of SL's influence.

And now, even though Delirium feels in its own way a little like Shallow Life, it is as much a new start as that earlier album was. It expands on the three albums that came before it, but feels like a brand new chapter!

Maybe the next album will take all this new found confidence and take us all by surprise once again!

Edited by Segue Myles

So, i've lurked over on the Empty Spiral message board for years. Usually when there's a new album/tour I pop by for a bit and then forget about it until the next Lacuna Coil album cycle. When did that place become so dead? Not even the new album is getting any discussion over there. We've got more people talking about it on here.

I saw that they added Ghost In The Mist to their set the other night. So, now they're playing the three singles. I wonder what else will get added? Broken Things and Downfall are my guesses.

Yeah I am Laputa on that forum haha!

It's been dead since about a month after Shallow Life.

Head to Facebook for fan interaction!

I would love them to actually do Live To Tell in place of Enjoy The Silence.

I am curious about Take Me Home or Ultima Ratio. I love those songs but I imagine they could sound messy onstage!

Yeah I am Laputa on that forum haha!

It's been dead since about a month after Shallow Life.

Head to Facebook for fan interaction!

Yeah, I figured out who you were on that board :LOL:

Shallow Life killed the board off huh? That makes perfect sense actually.

• Like 1

I would love them to actually do Live To Tell in place of Enjoy The Silence.

I am curious about Take Me Home or Ultima Ratio. I love those songs but I imagine they could sound messy onstage!

Like those two a lot as well but you're right they could be messy live. Not sure how well Cristina could pull off the chorus to Take Me Home live. It's not a knock on her ability at all, the chorus is just sung in a way that could be very tricky to do live.

Edited by J2112YYZ