12 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better, Romo or Brady?

• Tony Romo
    • System guy Tom Brady

This,

Is a joke right? :LOL:

Would you trade Derek Carr for Brady?

That's not,

The point. Unless I am missing some thing here. Romo vs Brady is just too funny!

This. When I saw the thread tile I thought "YGBSM"! Let's see what Nomo and the Cowpile do against Carolina.

I bet it plays pretty damn close to the point spread. If there is one today.

I assume youre kidding. :) Romo is the most overrated QB of all time.

You could insert the name of any Dallas Cowboy QB in that statement and be fairly accurate. Aikman, HOF be damned, is equally overrated and, like a guy named Brady and a guy named Montana, benefited from a solid system and some great talent around him. But those guys also have the heart of a champion and I think the one fair knock on Romo is he does not appear to have that. He's been a very good regular season QB, but Romo does appear to tense up during the big moment, especially in the playoffs. That said, I would be willing to bet the fans of 20 to 25 teams in the league would absolutely be willing to trade out their QB for Romo.

The Cowboys are the Yankees of the NFL. The glamour team and all that. They get all sorts of unnecessary attention for it. The "America's Team" is sort of accurate. Very few fans have a "meh, so what" attitude toward Dallas. It's a love/hate thing.... just like our political system. 'mericuh! That's really not Romo's fault.

Aikman was deadly accurate in the playoffs and to cast him off as an overrated "system" QB is ignorant. Same with Brady. I think Brady is the only player left from his first Super Bowl win. The only constant, other than Belicheck, is Brady.

Spoken like a Cowboy diehard. Keep in mind I actually like Aikman as a player and a person. I am just calling it as it is.

Here's the line on Aikman..... 12 NFL seasons.... Only 1 season with 20 or more touchdowns... Never had a season with 4,000 passing yards... Hell, never had a season with more than 3,500 passing yards.... 164 career touchdowns against 141 career interceptions..... that's a ratio of something like 1.1 to 1.... career QB rating of 81.6 (putting him at #50 in the All-Time list of players behind *legends* like Rich Gannon and Mark Brunell).

Those numbers scream "average" "overrated" in the context of Hall of Fame greatness.

Now, to your point, Aikman was lights out in the post season and he did get three rings. What separates a guy like Aikman from a guy like Gannon or Brunell was the fact he had the heart of a champion. Heart made him great. The ability to not cave under pressure made him great. His overall performance was pedestrian, not great. And, sorry, facts are facts.... he benefited from the talent around him and the system his coach developed.

I'm pretty even with my evaluations of players.

Your Aikman stats are extremely misleading. There is more to being a QB than just simply throwing for yards and touchdowns. There is a management aspect of the game. Aikman didn't throw for a huge amount of yards because he didn't need to. We would go up by 14 or so points and bleed the clock by running in the second half. It was our recipe. It's what we are trying to do now. When we got into the red zone, it was Emmitt time. It's a hell of a lot safer than passing.

Also, the rules of the game have changed since Aikman's time. The rules allow for more passing. Aikman, no doubt, would have put up huge numbers in a west coast offense or a run and shoot. Don't mistake his numbers for his style.

Bottom line. He was the first overall pick and performed as one. Or should I say, as one should because most number one qb picks usually don't succeed.

Yeah, I think he could do what Brady's done (or better) in the same offense. Aikman is pretty much the Red Ruffing of football...surround him with massive quantities of talent, and he's a great QB.

He'd have been great know matter what. Bill Parcells used to talk about that a lot when he was coaching here. He said that after he saw him in the miserbale 1-15 season, he knew that Aikman would be great.

You could insert the name of any Dallas Cowboy QB in that statement and be fairly accurate. Aikman, HOF be damned, is equally overrated and, like a guy named Brady and a guy named Montana, benefited from a solid system and some great talent around him. But those guys also have the heart of a champion and I think the one fair knock on Romo is he does not appear to have that. He's been a very good regular season QB, but Romo does appear to tense up during the big moment, especially in the playoffs. That said, I would be willing to bet the fans of 20 to 25 teams in the league would absolutely be willing to trade out their QB for Romo.

The Cowboys are the Yankees of the NFL. The glamour team and all that. They get all sorts of unnecessary attention for it. The "America's Team" is sort of accurate. Very few fans have a "meh, so what" attitude toward Dallas. It's a love/hate thing.... just like our political system. 'mericuh! That's really not Romo's fault.

Aikman was deadly accurate in the playoffs and to cast him off as an overrated "system" QB is ignorant. Same with Brady. I think Brady is the only player left from his first Super Bowl win. The only constant, other than Belicheck, is Brady.

Spoken like a Cowboy diehard. Keep in mind I actually like Aikman as a player and a person. I am just calling it as it is.

Here's the line on Aikman..... 12 NFL seasons.... Only 1 season with 20 or more touchdowns... Never had a season with 4,000 passing yards... Hell, never had a season with more than 3,500 passing yards.... 164 career touchdowns against 141 career interceptions..... that's a ratio of something like 1.1 to 1.... career QB rating of 81.6 (putting him at #50 in the All-Time list of players behind *legends* like Rich Gannon and Mark Brunell).

Those numbers scream "average" "overrated" in the context of Hall of Fame greatness.

Now, to your point, Aikman was lights out in the post season and he did get three rings. What separates a guy like Aikman from a guy like Gannon or Brunell was the fact he had the heart of a champion. Heart made him great. The ability to not cave under pressure made him great. His overall performance was pedestrian, not great. And, sorry, facts are facts.... he benefited from the talent around him and the system his coach developed.

Your Aikman stats are extremely misleading. There is more to being a QB than just simply throwing for yards and touchdowns. There is a management aspect of the game. Aikman didn't throw for a huge amount of yards because he didn't need to. We would go up by 14 or so points and bleed the clock by running in the second half. It was our recipe. It's what we are trying to do now. When we got into the red zone, it was Emmitt time. It's a hell of a lot safer than passing.

Also, the rules of the game have changed since Aikman's time. The rules allow for more passing. Aikman, no doubt, would have put up huge numbers in a west coast offense or a run and shoot. Don't mistake his numbers for his style.

Bottom line. He was the first overall pick and performed as one. Or should I say, as one should because most number one qb picks usually don't succeed.

Yeah, I think he could do what Brady's done (or better) in the same offense. Aikman is pretty much the Red Ruffing of football...surround him with massive quantities of talent, and he's a great QB.

He'd have been great know matter what. Bill Parcells used to talk about that a lot when he was coaching here. He said that after he saw him in the miserbale 1-15 season, he knew that Aikman would be great.

His stats don't indicate that. They pretty much bear out what I said. 92-95 outstanding, the rest of the career, not so much. I will concede that his TD stats were hurt considerably by Emmitt Smith's tremendous performance around the goal line (helped considerably by a great O Line, which also aided Aikman's other stats quite a bit.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

So, who do you think was better, Aikman or Romo? I go with the latter.

This,

That's not,

The point. Unless I am missing some thing here. Romo vs Brady is just too funny!

This. When I saw the thread tile I thought "YGBSM"! Let's see what Nomo and the Cowpile do against Carolina.

Latest is PK, edge to the Pile, O/U 46.5.

His stats don't indicate that. They pretty much bear out what I said. 92-95 outstanding, the rest of the career, not so much. I will concede that his TD stats were hurt considerably by Emmitt Smith's tremendous performance around the goal line (helped considerably by a great O Line, which also aided Aikman's other stats quite a bit.)

http://www.pro-footb.../A/AikmTr00.htm

So, who do you think was better, Aikman or Romo? I go with the latter.

Aikman.

This,

That's not,

I think it open Cowboys -1 and moved to Carolina -1. Now it's a PK? Good. I have a good feeling about this game. Then again, I had a good feeling about every game in our seven game losing streak. :facepalm:

This is not even a contest. Like him or hate him you can't deny Brady is good. My wife asked me the other night why Brady was yelling at all those guys on the sideline. I explained that he doesn't like being touched and absolutely hates being knocked down. While it kind of makes him a dick to act like that it works and he wins under different circumstances.
  • Like 1

This is not even a contest. Like him or hate him you can't deny Brady is good. My wife asked me the other night why Brady was yelling at all those guys on the sideline. I explained that he doesn't like being touched and absolutely hates being knocked down. While it kind of makes him a dick to act like that it works and he wins under different circumstances.

So he's Jeff George with a weaker arm and works in a better system.

Why, if people think Romo is better than Brady (he isn't), hasn't anyone voted for him? Cognitive dissonance maybe?

Polls are still open. I'm waiting for someone to convince me he's not, and that post has yet to come.

I don't see how you can possibly have this argument. He's pretty much the only player left from the first Super Bowl till now. He's the constant. Brady hasn't played with any hall of fame receivers in their prime. Never had a hall of fame running back that I can remember. And with his Super Bowl resume', I just don't get how you can boil him down to an average quarterback.
  • Like 2

I don't see how you can possibly have this argument. He's pretty much the only player left from the first Super Bowl till now. He's the constant. Brady hasn't played with any hall of fame receivers in their prime. Never had a hall of fame running back that I can remember. And with his Super Bowl resume', I just don't get how you can boil him down to an average quarterback.

OK, Jeff George was a joke...

He did play with Moss in his prime. And Gronk will be there, too. But yeah, the RBs have been fungible throughout....which is a function of the system. He's benefitted from the system. Is he average? No, I'll give him above average. But there are other QBs that could have been just as good in that system, and when you throw in the cheating throughout that time period, I can't credit him with more than that.

As for his Super Bowl record, the largest margin of victory his teams scored was in a game where if the Seahawks hadn't made the worst call in the history of football, they would have lost. In his first victory, he threw for a total of 145 yards, and had less than 100 through the first 58 minutes of the game. And his teams lost to a 10-6 wild card team and a 9-7 team in the big game.

Basically he's possibly standing on the grounds that Brady might just be average because the Patriots only win because they cheat in every game and season they've played. Good luck....carry on.

• Like 1

This,

That's not,

I think it open Cowboys -1 and moved to Carolina -1. Now it's a PK? Good. I have a good feeling about this game. Then again, I had a good feeling about every game in our seven game losing streak. :facepalm:

Something in my head says Carolina will force Dallas to ramp it up, and to take the over.

FTB,time for my Lions to stuff the Eagles-I'm out!

He did play with Moss in his prime. And Gronk will be there, too. But yeah, the RBs have been fungible throughout....which is a function of the system. He's benefitted from the system. Is he average? No, I'll give him above average. But there are other QBs that could have been just as good in that system, and when you throw in the cheating throughout that time period, I can't credit him with more than that.

As for his Super Bowl record, the largest margin of victory his teams scored was in a game where if the Seahawks hadn't made the worst call in the history of football, they would have lost. In his first victory, he threw for a total of 145 yards, and had less than 100 through the first 58 minutes of the game. And his teams lost to a 10-6 wild card team and a 9-7 team in the big game.

They also lost to the Giants on some crazy plays so it all evens out. They are what they are.

And no, Moss was not in his prime when he was with Brady. Gronk. When he plays, sure. But do you think he'll last long enough to be a hall of fame player? His injury history doesn't suggest that but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

• Like 1

He's been the MVP of 3 Super Bowls. He's been on the winning side of 4, and could easily have been the MVP of SB 39. He's lost two that his team led late in the 4th quarter, and he doesn't play defense. One loss was aided by a one handed freak catch on 4th and ten. He's 6-2 in conference championships. And for stud skill position players you've named exactly 2 over 15 seasons, one of whom couldn't really play in one of the Super Bowl losses.

Here's a better poll. Who's better, Dan Marino or Eli Manning? Who stepped up when it counted more? Ryan Tannehill or the homeless guy who asks for change around the corner from my office? Same number of post season starts. The Dolphins franchise, or the Crimson Tide?

• Like 1

whatever

Greatest QB ever

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1255634_o.gif

HAHAHA! Dude! It just dawned on me! You are from New Jersey! Well, I was born in San Francisco in 1968 but my parents and all of my relatives are from New Jersey.

Hence where my "I don't give a fukk what people think about me" attitude comes from! Jersey blood baby but I'm and East Bay Greaser! Home of TOWER OF POWER! OAKLAND RAIDERS! KENNY STABLER! FUKK ELWAY! Stanford pussy!

;)

lol

Love ya Earl

This,

That's not,

Explain why, if you can.

First of all,

I will admit when I saw the thread I didn't read the start of it. My bad. I guess it's because of all of the "poll threads". But I am still not sure where you are coming from.

OK, let me ask this. How many Super Bowls would Brady have won if he was Cowboys QB for the last 15 years (or however many he lasted), if the Dallas QB at the time would have been injured the same way Bledsoe was and he'd been asked to take over.

We,

Will never know. But I fail to see your point.

He's been the MVP of 3 Super Bowls. He's been on the winning side of 4, and could easily have been the MVP of SB 39. He's lost two that his team led late in the 4th quarter, and he doesn't play defense. One loss was aided by a one handed freak catch on 4th and ten. He's 6-2 in conference championships. And for stud skill position players you've named exactly 2 over 15 seasons, one of whom couldn't really play in one of the Super Bowl losses.

Here's a better poll. Who's better, Dan Marino or Eli Manning? Who stepped up when it counted more? Ryan Tannehill or the homeless guy who asks for change around the corner from my office? Same number of post season starts. The Dolphins franchise, or the Crimson Tide?

In the two Super Bowl losses his team scored a total of 14 and 17 points against mediocre defenses. If they gave him the MVP of SB 39 they should have taken away the one for Super Bowl 36 (145 yards passing for an MVP QB???)

In conference championships, in one of those wins the offense scored 0 points with him on the field, the only reason they won another one is because Lee Evans dropped an easy touchdown, and in the third they had to rely on a trick formation and for a WR to throw the longest pass of the game.

I will ignore the obvious trolling in your second paragraph except to ask if the homeless guy is Mark Henderson.

This,

That's not,

Explain why, if you can.

First of all,

I will admit when I saw the thread I didn't read the start of it. My bad. I guess it's because of all of the "poll threads". But I am still not sure where you are coming from.

OK, let me ask this. How many Super Bowls would Brady have won if he was Cowboys QB for the last 15 years (or however many he lasted), if the Dallas QB at the time would have been injured the same way Bledsoe was and he'd been asked to take over.

We,

The point is that Brady could have not done what he's done or even close to it and would be a footnote in history if that without falling into the exact right situation.

This,

That's not,

Explain why, if you can.

First of all,

We,

The point is that Brady could have not done what he's done or even close to it and would be a footnote in history if that without falling into the exact right situation.

Well,

If that's the case. George Washington would have been fu****! Things in life happen for a reason. Good or bad.

They also lost to the Giants on some crazy plays so it all evens out. They are what they are.

And no, Moss was not in his prime when he was with Brady. Gronk. When he plays, sure. But do you think he'll last long enough to be a hall of fame player? His injury history doesn't suggest that but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Just because Moss dogged it with the Raiders doesn't mean he was past his prime; the Raiders were a clusterfuck when he was there and it's not exactly in Moss's makeup to give a f**k when that was the case. For at least his first couple of years with the cheaters he was still in his prime, in fact he still was probably the best receiver in the league when motivated..