Neil's Replacement

Mieko8

Did everyone watch the new video of Ged and Al with Rolling Stone? This time they were more forthcoming with the truth about what's going on. Clearly, they want to record and tour. Clearly, Neil is resistant and possibly ready to retire. So, I dare ask the question and let the daggers fly.

Any chance they would continue with a new drummer? If they want to continue, why let one person sink the ship? You could see in the interview how frustrated Geddy is with Neil. Surely there's lots of banter behind the scenes, or complete radio silence.

I'll say this, they gave up their careers for Neil and waited 4 years for him to grieve, and that was the right thing to do. The least he could do in return would be to give them another record and a proper farewell tour. I'd venture to say he's selfish and doesn't care how they feel or what they want, or the fans.

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 18

It could never be Rush without Ged or Al, but I do believe they could still be Rush with another drummer. They did it once already, they could do it again. How many people have gone in and out of the Stones, and the Who? Page and Plant have worked together without Bonham. Geddy and Al should move on with someone else if they still want to play IMHO.
  • Like 1

Why does he have to give up his family to be in Rush? Lots of guys have families and play in working bands. Okay, maybe it was harsh to call him selfish, but he should consider how the others feel and the fans. They are better and more popular than they've ever been. CA is one of their best albums, IMHO. The HOF INDUCTION. Why leave while on top? Makes no sense to me, sorry.

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D) or shut it down and enjoy the rest of your lives. Simple. Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 4

Why does he have to give up his family to be in Rush? Lots of guys have families and play in working bands. Okay, maybe it was harsh to call him selfish, but he should consider how the others feel and the fans. They are better and more popular than they've ever been. CA is one of their best albums, IMHO. The HOF INDUCTION. Why leave while on top? Makes no sense to me, sorry.

It makes perfect sense to end on top - though "on top" is very subjective. The guy was still able to do it on the R40 tour and fight through the ridiculous amount of pain being him entails. Imagine them continuing on and suddenly he really f***s himself up.

I don't think Neil has to consider a damn bit how the fans feel. He's got every right to quit if he wants, and spend all of his time with his family. He doesn't owe anybody anything.

• Like 1

No. Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well. Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.

Is Bernie Taupin still alive?... ;)

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

This hat oh this is the worst lookinghat in the world. You buy this hat you probably get a free bowl of soup. Looks good on you though.

• Like 1

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

• Like 3

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Counterparts) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

Right with you my friend... :cheers: :)
  • Like 1

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.

I don't think Mike Portnoy(as great as he is)would be an adequate replacement for Neil. Then again I don't think anyone would be.

Keep that egotistical jackass away from Rush...he's a good drummer but his personality alone should bar him from sharing the stage with the other two.

• Like 3

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both. Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory. Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.

This subject has been run into the ground and sent to China. It's very unlikely that they would tour with anybody else other than Neil. They're not going to get another drummer and call it Rush. Just isn't going to happen.
  • Like 1

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both. Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory. Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.

He already did it for them "one more time". The video/audio collection documenting that was just released yesterday.

Look. If they wanna go out again I certainly won't complain. But it's not really fair to paint Neil as a selfish old man who doesn't want to "give us/Alex and Geddy what's deserved".

• Like 1