Geddy on Dan Patrick: "people can change their minds, but..."

Prattster

It would mean the world to me if Rush released one more studio album (I'd even settle for an EP.) I'm totally fine if that time comes and they feel their age will prevent them from touring, but if they're feeling healthy and they're fired up about the new material, I would be thrilled to get a chance to see them live again.

Albums alone don't make money these days though and you still have to rehearse enough to get into playing shape to record them. That's why as much as I'd love to see another one, it seems doubtful. :( Over time, it will depend on how "done" Neil really is.
  • Like 1

Good gawd. Still there are disbelievers and whiners and accusers? After all this time?

Let it go, kids. Things change. Rock stars get old. It happens. Be grateful your particular taste didn't go out Hendrix or Joplin or Morrison or Bon Scott style. Geez.

Neil is NOT screwing Geddy and Alex over, that is def NOT how Ged and Alex feel. For f**k's sake.

Ged and Alex are NOT going to form a Rush tribute band and tour without Neil, neither under a new name nor the Rush brand.

LOL. Geddy is not going to tour with the Who. Or what constitutes Yes these days.

They are not taking a break, they are not going to reassess when Neil's girl comes of age. Neil is done. It's over. Be happy the world got what it did. By all rights, there shouldn't have been anymore Rush after 1999.

There are NOT going to be anymore Rush albums or EPs.

There are NOT going to be anymore Rush tours.

There MIGHT be another Geddy solo album down the pipe.

If you saw the R40 tour, you saw the last Rush tour.

Those of us who know, know. Those of you who don't yet, or are wasting your time in denial or scuttlebutt or blame or scapegoating Neil or undermining the severity of arthritis or tendonitis....get a goddamned clue.

Meanwhile, Imma sip a lemonade lightly splashed with Macallan, crank the Bose up to 11, and give Counterparts a big fat spin. :)

Edited by Bard
  • Like 1

Good gawd. Still there are disbelievers and whiners and accusers? After all this time?

Let it go, kids. Things change. Rock stars get old. It happens. Be grateful your particular taste didn't go out Hendrix or Joplin or Morrison or Bon Scott style. Geez.

Neil is NOT screwing Geddy and Alex over, that is def NOT how Ged and Alex feel. For f**k's sake.

Ged and Alex are NOT going to form a Rush tribute band and tour without Neil, neither under a new name nor the Rush brand.

LOL. Geddy is not going to tour with the Who. Or what constitutes Yes these days.

They are not taking a break, they are not going to reassess when Neil's girl comes of age. Neil is done. It's over. Be happy the world got what it did. By all rights, there shouldn't have been anymore Rush after 1999.

Those of us who know, know. Those of you who don't yet, or are wasting your time in denial or scuttlebutt or blame or scapegoating Neil or undermining the severity of arthritis or tendonitis....get a goddamned clue.

Meanwhile, Imma sip a lemonade lightly splashed with Macallan, crank the Bose up to 11, and give Counterparts a big fat spin. :)

How can you NOT think it's all Neil's fault? The interview pretty much confirmed it.

How can you NOT think it's all Neil's fault? The interview pretty much confirmed it.

You are a whiny bitch of a fan. Seriously.

You clearly have no empathy whatsoever. Sociopathic, really.

Do you have any idea what kind of fortitude it would take to comeback from what Neil lived through?

STFU already. You've had more Rush than you deserve.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with all that, though it's possible we'll get an album out the them down the road.

Do you have any idea what kind of fortitude it would take to comeback from what Neil lived through?

Fraroc deserves to be called out for being disillusioned about why Rush has retired from touring, but you shouldn't talk to him (or anybody here) that way. Something tells me this isn't the first time a mod has had to tell you this.

• Like 1

Oh I'm the whiny bitch? Let me tell you something. I was the one at first trying to keep hope alive that Rush wasn't done after R40, that they would still exist as some sort of entity. You were the one spelling doom and gloom for everything.

As for the whole Neil thing, just because he is a phenomenal drummer and lyricist doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision he's made. If he's f***ing done with Rush and doesn't give a f**k about what Geddy or Alex want, he can be my guest. That doesn't mean I have to kiss his ass and say "oh I support you I love you and I love everything you do." I think it's bullshit what he's doing to this band. I think it's bullshit and its completely unfair to Geddy and Alex that he's leaving the duo high and dry.

FACE IT, OUR HEROES HAVE FLAWS. THEY'RE NOT PERFECT.

By the way, if you think I have no sympathy for Neil after his tragedy, then you're an asshole for assuming that I would be that shitty of a human being. Frankly, the fact that you would accuse me of being that way really sickens me. I feel absolutely terrible for the guy, no parent should ever have to bury their own child not should they have to bury their spouse on top of that. However, this time around I simply can't agree with Neil's decision to end it, because I honestly believe he wanted to disconnect forever from this band for no reason.

Edited by fraroc

So wanting to become a full time parent and spend time with his new kid is a flaw?

Oh I'm the whiny bitch? Let me tell you something. I was the one at first trying to keep hope alive that Rush wasn't done after R40, that they would still exist as some sort of entity. You were the one spelling doom and gloom for everything.

As for the whole Neil thing, just because he is a phenomenal drummer and lyricist doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision he's made. If he's f***ing done with Rush and doesn't give a f**k about what Geddy or Alex want, he can be my guest. That doesn't mean I have to kiss his ass and say "oh I support you I love you and I love everything you do." I think it's bullshit what he's doing to this band. I think it's bullshit and its completely unfair to Geddy and Alex that he's leaving the duo high and dry.

FACE IT, OUR HEROES HAVE FLAWS. THEY'RE NOT PERFECT.

By the way, if you think I have no sympathy for Neil after his tragedy, then you're an asshole for assuming that I would be that shitty of a human being. Frankly, the fact that you would accuse me of being that way really sickens me. I feel absolutely terrible for the guy, no parent should ever have to bury their own child not should they have to bury their spouse on top of that. However, this time around I simply can't agree with Neil's decision to end it, because I honestly believe he wanted to disconnect forever from this band for no reason.

:eyeroll:

So wanting to become a full time parent and spend time with his new kid is a flaw?

No, not giving a shit about your bandmates is.

These guys, Geddy and Alex are the reason people give a shit about Neil. They gave Neil a stage in '74 and if it wasn't for them, Neil wouldn't be where he is today, so yeah. Frankly Neil ought to be a little more appreciative of what Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson gave to him.

Rush is now and has always been Geddy Lee's and Alex Lifeson's band.

Edited by fraroc

They gave him the stage, but they wouldn't have been on it for 40+ years if it wasn't for Neil. If they didn't do 2112 there's a good chance none of us would be talking about them now. And that album and the 2 leading up to it wouldn't have been possible without Neil. Nobody f***ed anybody over. It's just over. Let it go already!

They gave him the stage, but they wouldn't have been on it for 40+ years if it wasn't for Neil. If they didn't do 2112 there's a good chance none of us would be talking about them now. And that album and the 2 leading up to it wouldn't have been possible without Neil. Nobody f***ed anybody over. It's just over. Let it go already!

Geddy is hopeful that Neil will eventually come around and be willing to do more with Rush. This indicates to me that hes not too happy with Neil himself right now.

Ending it was not a mutual agreement amongst the trio and that's what annoys me. If this was a mutual decision, then Rush retiring would be more swallowable. Rush is going to end it on account of a band member who just wants everything his way or the highway.

And Neil's way is "I don't want to go on a drum riser anymore and play anymore, therefore rush is over."

Edited by fraroc

And you know what the saddest part is? This band's lineup remained constant for 41 years and they were all friends. That made them so unique compared to other groups who have members and ex members who despise each other.

Right, just like how you were talking about a surprise in LA, right? Haven't you shamed yourself enough around here?

Emotions are flying here.

If Rush is over...it's O.K. If Neil wanted to end things now but Geddy did not.....who cares? They played, recorded and toured for 41 years. The R40 tour IMO was an amazing end if it is indeed the end. Seriously....you.could not asked for a better send off!! The Blue Ray clips coming out confirm just how great they played on this tour. It sounds amazing.

I do believe they will record again. Just a hunch in that regard because I know Neil loves the studio and the creative process. Far different from the grueling grind that is touring.

But Rush fans that are hanging on....relax, it's probably over. No biggie.

There are other great young bands out there that need support to keep the flame of rock and roll going. We are a dying breed folks. Support some other music. Rush got 34 years of my unwavering support. I have no problems shifting that to some bands on the scene now who are young, hungry and struggling to fill clubs.

Rush is fine. They are old guys who will live on forever through the music. Pass it on to your kids. I know I did. But going back and forth about it is silly. It really is silly.

They gave us the best goodbye we could have asked for in R40.

That should be good enough. What goes on behind the curtian between Neil, Geddy and Alex is their business. I am sure they are still really close and at peace with everything. I know Geddy still wants to play.....and he will, just without Rush in all likelyhood. he can easily do another solo project which I would love. MFH was great.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

These guys, Geddy and Alex are the reason people give a shit about Neil. They gave Neil a stage in '74 and if it wasn't for them, Neil wouldn't be where he is today, so yeah. Frankly Neil ought to be a little more appreciative of what Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson gave to him.

this is why they should continue without neil.

i say get some drummer who is old enough to have some sense and young enough to keep up and tour away boys!

Rush will never...ever continue on without Neil.

That I can guarantee. Come on people.

Really? Ridiculous.

It's the three of them. All of their output (save for the debut) was the three of them.

this is why they should continue without neil.

i say get some drummer who is old enough to have some sense and young enough to keep up and tour away boys!

Speechless. :wtf:

• Like 1

These guys, Geddy and Alex are the reason people give a shit about Neil. They gave Neil a stage in '74 and if it wasn't for them, Neil wouldn't be where he is today, so yeah

I can empathize with your sadness over Rush apparently ending, but this sort of hyperbolic speculation is just silly. Neil was already an immensely talented drummer in 1974 as well as a VERY intelligent guy. He would have eventually become a success whether he ever met Geddy/Alex or not. THEY were just as lucky to find Neil, who helped give them a direction that may well have saved THEM from eventual obscurity. Sure, it would've been nice to have a little more of a fairy tale ending with all 3 of them being in exactly the same happy mindset about ending it, but that's just the way life is. 100% of marriages don't last forever either. People are different and ultimately have to do what they think is best for themselves. Neil has come close to quitting several times previously, but fortunately he didn't then and we got rewarded with a little more Rush. So Geddy had to have known (along with the rest of us) that at some point, Neil WAS going to finally follow through and step down. And he has plenty of good reasons to at this point in his life. Don't worry about Geddy Lee! He is smart, talented, wealthy, blessed with a good family and has plenty of hobbies. He'll be just fine with Rush being a great band of the past and eventually, so will you.

If Geddy and Alex do work together again, it'll be a different band name and my guess is that the only Rush material they'd play live would come from the debut album. I do not believe they will play any of the Neil era material without him.

My thoughts....

Neil never ever got the whole "rock star" thing. Even as a teenager he didn't understand it. On the other side of the coin, Ged and Alex have lived the rock star life and relished the interviews, the public appearances, the meet and greets, and mostly the time on stage and the adoration of the fans. Bottom line is that Neil has a lot less to give up. Making records will be about all he will miss. The transition for Ged and Alex will be much more difficult because I honestly believe they enjoyed every second of what they did. The fact that neither of them moved very far from the Toronto are just shows that they still love to bask in the spotlight.

Is Neil wrong, and do the other guys have any right to be upset with him? It is only natural that there would be some frustration on Ged & Alex's side. Sure there is the tendonitis, but I'll guarantee that is not the reason he is choosing to end it. The guilt of missing the better portion of his first daughters life is a painful cross to bear, and it is a mistake that he will not repeat. I guarantee that being away from his child this time was a lot harder than he thought it was going to be. And besides that, Neil is intelligent and realistic. He knows that his playing isn't what it once was, and he knows that Ged's voice is at times becoming painful to listen to (although I thought he did great for most of this tour), and he probably realizes that those issues will only get worse two years down the road when the band would likely be ready to go again.

I don't think that people here really understand the time involved in preparing ones self for even a two month tour. For a band as musically complex as RUSH, it would probably take two months of almost full time practice just to get your chops back, then a month of rehearsal and two months for the actual tour. A child grows a lot in 6 months and I don't blame Neil one bit for not wanting to invest that time.

As for Geddy and Alex, they will keep busy with side projects and they are too good friends not work together again.

• Like 2