Geddy on Dan Patrick: "people can change their minds, but..."

Prattster

..... there's absolutely no good reason that alex, geddy and the world should be deprived of hearing the masters play their own damn music.

1. There is a very good reason for why the band should stop playing their "own damn music". The reason is this: It's what THEY want. That is all the reason they need.

2. No one is being "deprived" of anything. If we want to hear the great music of Rush, then all we have to do is play any of their many great albums.

clearly they don't ALL want to.

And Geddy has clearly said that there is no bad guy regarding the end of the band.

It doesn't matter if Geddy wants to play forever. He totally respects Alex's or Neil's right to call it quits.

don't get me wrong, i'm not on the neil is the bad guy side of things. i totally respect neil wanting to retire and i'm not slamming him for it. i just don't understand why people think that geddy and alex shouldn't continue to play rush music live without neil.

Well, ya know, some fans can be really selfish. They want the band to do what pleases THEM. Some fans have mentally constructed the "Holy Trinity" image of Rush, so it's heresy (to them) to even suggest that two guys play live without the third guy.

I totally support Geddy and Alex doing what THEY want to do, whether it's playing Rush songs live without Neil, or retiring the Rush catalogue from the stage. It's their band, their music, and their lives.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, Imma sip a lemonade lightly splashed with Macallan...

I was on board with the frank, harsh reality check until that point. A real man drinks his Macallan neat maybe with a cube of ice, pussy.

It would help if all of the speculation would just stop.

The only thing we know for sure and certain is that Neil is through. So it is said. And that neither Geddy nor Alex will say for certain what the future holds, which is very wise - never say never. But, for now, there won't be any more tours, and no new Rush music is in the plans in the foreseeable future.

Anything more than the above is just dreaming and projecting your own desires and hopes on them.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The only thing we know for sure and certain is that Neil is through. So it is said. And that neither Geddy nor Alex will say for certain what the future holds, which is very wise - never say never. But, for now, there won't be any more tours, and no new Rush music is in the plans in the foreseeable future.

Anything more than the above is just dreaming and projecting your own desires and hopes on them.

I was saying this months ago when the tour was first starting and the speculation was at a high. People just don't get it. Neil has been particularly savaged. I do hope they keep going. But...only to my own selfish desires. If Neil says he's done. He's done. And that's ok. Don't make it what it isn't.

I was saying this months ago when the tour was first starting and the speculation was at a high. People just don't get it. Neil has been particularly savaged. I do hope they keep going. But...only to my own selfish desires. If Neil says he's done. He's done. And that's ok. Don't make it what it isn't.

I think you are exaggerating the "Neil has been particularly savaged" part. Do you understand why he is resented? If it wasn't for him, they'd probably be out touring right now. It's Neil who is the real reason for the seemingly end of Rush.

It's understandable, rightly or wrongly, that fans would resent him for putting an end to their dream.

I think you are exaggerating the "Neil has been particularly savaged" part. Do you understand why he is resented? If it wasn't for him, they'd probably be out touring right now. It's Neil who is the real reason for the seemingly end of Rush.

It's understandable, rightly or wrongly, that fans would resent him for putting an end to their dream.

It's understandable that SELFISH fans resent Neil for retiring after 40 years of outstanding work. Those selfish fans are completely in the wrong.

When any one of us retires after 40 years, not one criticism is made. Rock stars don't receive such respect. They're expected to perform forever. Shame on us fans for being so selfish.

• Like 1

I was on board with the frank, harsh reality check until that point. A real man drinks his Macallan neat maybe with a cube of ice, pussy.

If you think that was a harsh reality check, you oughta get out more. :)

I actually can't stand Macallan. It was a figure of speech. I doubt you could handle the tequila that I drink, kid. :)

It's understandable that SELFISH fans resent Neil for retiring after 40 years of outstanding work. Those selfish fans are completely in the wrong.

When any one of us retires after 40 years, not one criticism is made. Rock stars don't receive such respect. They're expected to perform forever. Shame on us fans for being so selfish.

Hard to refute any of this.

Fans are inherently selfish on the whole. When they extend blame to Neil, what they're really saying is ME ME ME I want MORE MORE don't care what THEY want, I only want what I want.

People are lame, by and large. :)

I swear On my mothers eyes a million times over that I am not exaggerating.

I swear On my mothers eyes a million times over that I am not exaggerating.

:scared: In that case, alrighty. :)

If you think that was a harsh reality check, you oughta get out more. :)

I actually can't stand Macallan. It was a figure of speech. I doubt you could handle the tequila that I drink, kid. :)

Macallan as a figure of speech on a Rush forum as we discuss Neil Peart, touché. I have a low tolerance for cheap tequila although real quality tequila is quite smooth.

It's also Neil that got them out there again.

Fans are inherently selfish on the whole.

Yes, we're all selfish to a degree. The best fans control their selfish desires. The best fans accept the fact that they have no control over anything that the band does. They don't let their selfishness grow into anger, resentment and hostility towards the band (or certain members of the band).

Sports fans are eerily similar. Their selfish desires cause them to hatefully obsess over certain players, coaches, and executives.....anyone who they think is hurting the team. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Edited by Principled Man

I think most fans are good with neil retiring and family time and all that. its the way he did it that has most fans and from what we can tell ged a little upset. they had to persuade him financially along with all of his demands just to tour at all. it sounds like the rush camp was wanting to extend the tour and play a little more but he was like my way or no way. again this is coming from people who seem to be close to the band and posting on the forum. so take it how ever you want.
  • Like 1

It's also Neil that got them out there again.

Yes, Neil's wife suggested he go back to drumming.

• Like 1

No, this should have been a unanimous decision from the start. I'd understand a LOT more if it was like this "Okay, we are going to end Rush because Neil wants to be with his family." They made it an official announcement that it was the end, and they close the door on anything else.

Instead, Geddy wants the door open while Neil wants it closed and Alex is cool with either one.

No, this should have been a unanimous decision from the start. I'd understand a LOT more if it was like this "Okay, we are going to end Rush because Neil wants to be with his family." They made it an official announcement that it was the end, and they close the door on anything else.

Instead, Geddy wants the door open while Neil wants it closed and Alex is cool with either one.

You're assuming a lot here. We don't really know anything about what is going on. No one really does except those three guys. Let's just stop making Neil the bad guy.

• Like 1