Jacob's Ladder from R40 anyone?

Joesaracer

This sounds phenomenal, but I always felt like they rushed the ending of this song during the tour... Loooove the ESL version. The slowed down pace really adds to the song as a whole.

Anywho, mixing sounds unreal. Editing is fabulous.

And dude, it's f***ing Rush.

• Like 2

Another proof that what we have witnessed some months ago was real indeed; I have taken a while to fully realize! Edited by geezer
  • Like 1

That's why they didn't come there. They are older too. Anyone who gets anywhere near their age would and will understand. I "get" Neil's predicament... :codger:

Narps you put waaaay too much mileage on that old man excuse. ; )

I am going to consider this a compliment whether it was meant as one or not. Having said that a thank you is in order... :) :cheers: :rose: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Wow. Looks great and sounds even better. Maybe someone actually listened to fan feedback about the shortcomings of the CA film and tried to correct this time. Better mix of close-ups and stage wide shots that are held longer. And the sound is so clean! :). Can't wait to see Cygnus and *those* lasers! Looks like it will do justice to the production. I'm wondering if they also checked out the better recordings on YT (such as Tapehead's awesome work) and thought oh shit, we better up our game here. ;)

That's why they didn't come there. They are older too. Anyone who gets anywhere near their age would and will understand. I "get" Neil's predicament... :codger:

Narps you put waaaay too much mileage on that old man excuse. ; )

Unless you've walked a mile in someone else's moccasins...... :)

Neil does not look happy on stage.. I mean, yeah, he have never smiled and laugh like Geddy and Alex have done on stage. But now it´s even worse... he just looks like its torture for him...

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Maybe he's unhappy because of all the pre-Moving Pictures songs he has to play :syrinx:
  • Like 3

Wow. So nice I had to watch twice. Direction was near spot on. Slightly more Neil here and there, and a better shot of the orange creamsicle lasers and it would have been delicious. Otherwise, excellent- very well done. Bravo! :clap:

I thought that too. Those orange lasers were awesome.

I was on the floor, and they were right above me. Ohh, a sight to behold! Howard out-did himself.

I was lucky enough to be front row so the lights and screen stuff were not well seen and appreciated live for me. Really looking forward to the DVD.

• Like 1

Neil looked the same on R40 as he always had. He's serious and intensely focused on his playing, and let out the occasional laugh when prompted by Geddy or Alex's interaction.

He's always had that sort of focus and intensity, like a blacksmith hammering out a sword or something. Sure the dude is hurting, but that guy is as pro they come.

• Like 3

I wonder if Neil suffers and neck pain due to him jerking his head on snare hits.

He's king neck jerker! It's ridiculous
  • Like 1

I definitely think the audio is much better than CA Live (its on par with DS & R30).....each instrument is clear including the synths! Ever since DS synths felt like they were way back in the mix. Cymbals are articulate and the bass guitar is distinguishable with every note hit and not lost in the mix. Wall of sound is gone! Hooray.....BUT.....I dont like this version of Jacobs compared to Exit because of the ending...

• Alex eliminates the harmonics from the eigth notes, which really sets up the momentum for the end of the song
  • At 5:59 the bass eigth notes are played low on the neck to where it slows the momentum of the song rather than bringing it to a higher registry

Warning: potential bummer post ahead...

I agree that the sound is amazing, and I'm really looking forward to the release. I didn't notice these changes that you've pointed out, but what I do get distracted by (I'm my own worst enemy here, I guess) is that Lifeson is playing the lead bits after 1:30 differently from how they are on the album. On the album, there are a lot more bended notes, but here he's playing the notes fairly straight (with lots of vibrato). I'm guessing it's probably the knuckle pain, or whatever, but I can't help noticing it. The solo is cool, but there's one bent note on the album version that's just so full of emotion, and it's kind of missing here. It's like he's playing the right notes, but not playing the notes right, if that makes any sense. To be fair, I find it a difficult solo to play, so another possibility is he's just "playing it safe." Any guitarists here (or deep listeners) notice the same thing?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I definitely think the audio is much better than CA Live (its on par with DS & R30).....each instrument is clear including the synths! Ever since DS synths felt like they were way back in the mix. Cymbals are articulate and the bass guitar is distinguishable with every note hit and not lost in the mix. Wall of sound is gone! Hooray.....BUT.....I dont like this version of Jacobs compared to Exit because of the ending...

• Alex eliminates the harmonics from the eigth notes, which really sets up the momentum for the end of the song
  • At 5:59 the bass eigth notes are played low on the neck to where it slows the momentum of the song rather than bringing it to a higher registry

I agree that the sound is amazing, and I'm really looking forward to the release. I didn't notice these changes that you've pointed out, but what I do get distracted by (I'm my own worst enemy here, I guess) is that Lifeson is playing the lead bits after 1:30 differently from how they are on the album. On the album, there are a lot more bended notes, but here he's playing the notes fairly straight (with lots of vibrato). I'm guessing it's probably the knuckle pain, or whatever, but I can't help noticing it. The solo is cool, but there's one bent note on the album version that's just so full of emotion, and it's kind of missing here. It's like he's playing the right notes, but not playing the notes right, if that makes any sense. To be fair, I find it a difficult solo to play, so another possibility is he's just "playing it safe." Any guitarists here (or deep listeners) notice the same thing?

It's times like this I am glad I know nothing... :)

Yes I noticed during the tour that he was doing that and I do think it was because he was playing it safe. He had enough trouble as it was that I'm not surprised he would hold back a little bit.

• Like 1

Yes I noticed during the tour that he was doing that and I do think it was because he was playing it safe. He had enough trouble as it was that I'm not surprised he would hold back a little bit.

I changed my mind. I noticed it too...;)

Spot on.

And I am sincerely envious of your ignorance.

• Like 2

And I am sincerely envious of your ignorance.

:cheers: ...

I noticed that too. A lot more slides and less bends all night in fact. I also thought it was odd how much he used his index and middle finger for things he used to play with his index and ring finger (like whole steps and even minor thirds). I've had a playing related injury over the years and kind of got the sense of something like that. Could totally be wrong, but something was definitely up.

• Like 1