Jacob's Ladder from R40 anyone?

Joesaracer

I actually like the leads even if played with less bending. What I do like in this version that is different than others is the harmonizer being used at 2:11 like that from the album.

I'm not hearing a harmonizer there.

Me either. Geez... :LOL: :blink:

Narps, you taking all this in? :unsure: :wacko:

Yep. I tried to slip a weak joke in the middle of this with my post but it went THUD. I obviously don't know jack sh*t about music or octaves or harmonics or 2/6 notes or anything else... :LOL:

I'm not even sure that the subject is JL anymore, and am afraid to ask. :ph34r:

I definitely think the audio is much better than CA Live (its on par with DS & R30).....each instrument is clear including the synths! Ever since DS synths felt like they were way back in the mix. Cymbals are articulate and the bass guitar is distinguishable with every note hit and not lost in the mix. Wall of sound is gone! Hooray.....BUT.....I dont like this version of Jacobs compared to Exit because of the ending...

• Alex eliminates the harmonics from the eigth notes, which really sets up the momentum for the end of the song
  • At 5:59 the bass eigth notes are played low on the neck to where it slows the momentum of the song rather than bringing it to a higher registry

Warning: potential bummer post ahead...

I agree that the sound is amazing, and I'm really looking forward to the release. I didn't notice these changes that you've pointed out, but what I do get distracted by (I'm my own worst enemy here, I guess) is that Lifeson is playing the lead bits after 1:30 differently from how they are on the album. On the album, there are a lot more bended notes, but here he's playing the notes fairly straight (with lots of vibrato). I'm guessing it's probably the knuckle pain, or whatever, but I can't help noticing it. The solo is cool, but there's one bent note on the album version that's just so full of emotion, and it's kind of missing here. It's like he's playing the right notes, but not playing the notes right, if that makes any sense. To be fair, I find it a difficult solo to play, so another possibility is he's just "playing it safe." Any guitarists here (or deep listeners) notice the same thing?

I noticed that too. A lot more slides and less bends all night in fact. I also thought it was odd how much he used his index and middle finger for things he used to play with his index and ring finger (like whole steps and even minor thirds). I've had a playing related injury over the years and kind of got the sense of something like that. Could totally be wrong, but something was definitely up.

I've never heard him make the mistakes he made during this tour..ever. I felt so sorry for him.

Have you had the experience, when playing a gig, where you make a couple of mistakes early on and it affects your confidence or mojo enough that you almost feel like you've forgotten everything? It's a really bad feeling. With thousands of eyes on you (rather than 20 or 30), it must be a brutal thing if it happens. . .

We're our own worst critics for sure, but I suspect he handles mistakes better than many of us do, professionalism and all that. And let's face it, he's so adored by his fans that even if he make lots of mistakes they'll still hang on his every note. Us regular Joes don't have that luxury.

• Like 2

If the entire concert video is going to look like this, I am sold.

No choppy, quick edits. Lots of long pans on the camera. A much more fluid look.... all in glorious HD. Watching that video, you feel as in the show, not watching a show.

I don't think it's a coincidence Jacob's Ladder is "leaked" either. They knew the fans wanted this one and I am convinced that is why they pulled it off the shelf after 30 years (or, if you are Geddy, played it for the first time!). I would bet choosing to drop this song on the masses early was by design. It certainly caught my attention.

As for the critique on Alex' playing.... I know everyone means well.... but really, I expect this kind of thing directed at Neil, not Alex! ;)

Dude is more than 60 years old.... dude has some serious arthritis issues.... dude hadn't played this particular song in more than 3 decades.... I am gonna cut dude some slack. :D

I don't know that the criticism leveled at the dude is meant to be mean. It's more of a "it's sad to see my hero have to resort to playing the solo safe" thing. At least that's how I took Toy's comment.

• Like 3

No choppy, quick edits. Lots of long pans on the camera. A much more fluid look.... all in glorious HD. Watching that video, you feel as in the show, not watching a show.

I don't think it's a coincidence Jacob's Ladder is "leaked" either. They knew the fans wanted this one and I am convinced that is why they pulled it off the shelf after 30 years (or, if you are Geddy, played it for the first time!). I would bet choosing to drop this song on the masses early was by design. It certainly caught my attention.

As for the critique on Alex' playing.... I know everyone means well.... but really, I expect this kind of thing directed at Neil, not Alex! ;)

Dude is more than 60 years old.... dude has some serious arthritis issues.... dude hadn't played this particular song in more than 3 decades.... I am gonna cut dude some slack. :D

I don't know that the criticism leveled at the dude is meant to be mean. It's more of a "it's sad to see my hero have to resort to playing the solo safe" thing. At least that's how I took Toy's comment.

It's not criticism to criticize even.

It's really too sad for words to know what someone once could and now can no longer do.

• Like 2

yeah, I think I'm just curious about whether Lifeson is playing it a bit different because a) it's easier on his knuckles b) he's trying to keep it fresh and try something different, or c) he remembers the notes but didn't go back to the song to figure out how he originally made the notes! I know it's a question that can only call for speculation, but . . . that's like 90% of the questions we have, I guess!

I choose to believe he's playing it differently just to play it differently. Especially after hearing that some people heard the harmonics at other points in the tour.

Aging makes me sad, and the idea that my body is no longer able to do something that my brain knows it should be able to do makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh.... I know.... that's why I said everyone mean's well!

My hunch would be the arthritis is the key issue. The overall loss of dexterity.

• Like 1

I'm no Pollyanna Positive around here, but I just listened to the studio version and then the one from Tulsa. It doesn't sound much different to me, and for a trio of men who are in their sixties and played this song for only a brief time on a tour that happened about 35 years ago, I think Alex did a damn good job. It sounded to me like they were rushing through the end of the song, but I could be, and most probably am, wrong.

Ignorance is bliss. :angel:

Edited by Lorraine

Oh.... I know.... that's why I said everyone mean's well!

My hunch would be the arthritis is the key issue. The overall loss of dexterity.

I think your hunch is right.

:o 4:52-4:58 = bad edit. Watch Neil in the background.

Ruined! Ruined I say!

:P

:LOL:

I wouldn't have caught that in a million years. Alex's hands give it away, too. You da Goose!

• Like 1

I actually like the leads even if played with less bending. What I do like in this version that is different than others is the harmonizer being used at 2:11 like that from the album.

Well...I do hear it and it is slight in the mix at 2:11 - 2:15

Do you mean octaves? That might be there, but subtle.

Yes...not a harmonizer but an octaver

Well...I do hear it and it is slight in the mix at 2:11 - 2:15

Do you mean octaves? That might be there, but subtle.

Yes...not a harmonizer but an octaver

Ruined! Ruined I say!

I wouldn't have caught that in a million years. Alex's hands give it away, too. You da Goose!

Wow, even as a film editor (at least at one point I was), I didn't pick that up till you brought it to our attention. I bet the editor thought he/she was smart by putting in that insert cause it looked like it was in sync even though it really isn't.

I saw a similar thing happening during Presto on the Time Machine DVD during that trainwreck during and after Alex's solo which Ged pointed out in the liner notes except that one was covered up much better than the "bad" edit on Jacob's Ladder.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I definitely think the audio is much better than CA Live (its on par with DS & R30).....each instrument is clear including the synths! Ever since DS synths felt like they were way back in the mix. Cymbals are articulate and the bass guitar is distinguishable with every note hit and not lost in the mix. Wall of sound is gone! Hooray.....BUT.....I dont like this version of Jacobs compared to Exit because of the ending...

• Alex eliminates the harmonics from the eigth notes, which really sets up the momentum for the end of the song
  • At 5:59 the bass eigth notes are played low on the neck to where it slows the momentum of the song rather than bringing it to a higher registry

Warning: potential bummer post ahead...

I agree that the sound is amazing, and I'm really looking forward to the release. I didn't notice these changes that you've pointed out, but what I do get distracted by (I'm my own worst enemy here, I guess) is that Lifeson is playing the lead bits after 1:30 differently from how they are on the album. On the album, there are a lot more bended notes, but here he's playing the notes fairly straight (with lots of vibrato). I'm guessing it's probably the knuckle pain, or whatever, but I can't help noticing it. The solo is cool, but there's one bent note on the album version that's just so full of emotion, and it's kind of missing here. It's like he's playing the right notes, but not playing the notes right, if that makes any sense. To be fair, I find it a difficult solo to play, so another possibility is he's just "playing it safe." Any guitarists here (or deep listeners) notice the same thing?

I noticed that too. A lot more slides and less bends all night in fact. I also thought it was odd how much he used his index and middle finger for things he used to play with his index and ring finger (like whole steps and even minor thirds). I've had a playing related injury over the years and kind of got the sense of something like that. Could totally be wrong, but something was definitely up.

I've never heard him make the mistakes he made during this tour..ever. I felt so sorry for him.

Have you had the experience, when playing a gig, where you make a couple of mistakes early on and it affects your confidence or mojo enough that you almost feel like you've forgotten everything? It's a really bad feeling. With thousands of eyes on you (rather than 20 or 30), it must be a brutal thing if it happens. . .

We're our own worst critics for sure, but I suspect he handles mistakes better than many of us do, professionalism and all that. And let's face it, he's so adored by his fans that even if he make lots of mistakes they'll still hang on his every note. Us regular Joes don't have that luxury.

I think the professionalism would come in at the time of the mistakes and how he presents himself to the public. But I'll bet he was frustrated about it in private.

Ruined! Ruined I say!

That's it. Not buying it now.....

Okay. No, not really. I am going to buy it. But I will always, always, *always* now only see that during Jacob's Ladder.

• Like 1

Another concert video with those South American dudes in red shirts? We've seen enough of them already.

are you talking about the guys in the red jumpsuits who always sit on the front row?

Yes, I didn't realize they were jumpsuits. I was tired of them by the end of the last video they were in (TMT or CA, can't recall at the moment). They showed them a LOT in the previous release to the point of being tiresome. Let's hope R40 is different.

• Like 1

Ruined! Ruined I say!

Okay. No, not really. I am going to buy it. But I will always, always, *always* now only see that during Jacob's Ladder.

3:17 - 3:19

http://youtu.be/eK1hmDpa8bo

Ruined! Ruined I say!

I finally got this one. Man I suck at this kind of stuff. Nice catch. Goose the Say Hey Kid...
  • Like 1

Ruined! Ruined I say!

Who watches guitarists...?

:D

• Like 1

Ruined! Ruined I say!

3:17 - 3:19

http://youtu.be/eK1hmDpa8bo

Oi vey..... I bet we could waste all sorts of time finding these.

Is it in the Limelight video where it is actually footage from Xanadu (?) for one of the chorus shots?