Pete Townshend

custom55

:heart: only I am disappointed that he sold a lot of his catalog, and songs I have previously loved I now hear in commercials. :sigh:

In that vein, I suppose their SuperBowl appearance might be a low point I choose to ignore. For all of our "heroes'" shortcomings, the band of this forum's namesake has gone a long way towards avoiding the fate of playing live gigs that are facsimiles of their former selves. I say this as someone who detests stadium shows and hits' medleys. One might watch RUSH in the 2000s and disagree, but compare that to The Who live in the 70s vs. The Who live in the 2000s and their [edit] there is just no comparison.

All that said, Pete is still a genius.

Edited by Ged Lent's sis
  • Like 1

I would say that he used to be a musical genius but he really hasn't done a whole lot in the last 20 or 30 years. I was one of the biggest Who fans out there back in the day and I think Tommy, Quadrophenia and Who's Next were the highlight of their studio albums.

Neither has my Dad...The dude is old. Cut him some slack. :LOL:

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who had a bigger effect on rock music in during the 60s - 80s. What an amazing song writer and guitarist. :notworthy:

• Like 1

As far as his solo material goes the only thing I've heard is his "iron man" album. It has nothing to do with the movie. ;) It's an ok album but nothing too special imo.

Well, it sounds like you have something to do over the weekend. Get busy. There is some extraordinary music waiting for you to discover.
  • Like 2

It was Pete who inspired me to pick up the guitar.

Was it really? Any song in particular, or was it just Pete's playing in general?

It was the live performance of Baba O'Reily from the movie The Kids Are Alright. I saw it while it was still in theaters (early 1980, I think, or late '79). It wasn't so much Pete's skill as a guitarist that got me as it was more his attitude on that footage. He had this weird mixture of goofiness and cockiness that translated as "cool" in my adolescent brain. His energy was sort of a cross between John Cleese and Mick Jagger. That said, when he finally does come in on guitar, it's a pretty powerful statement.

http://youtu.be/xaaD9EKTGys

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2