Text For Echo

Permement Waves- Natural Science

Moving Pictures- Witch Hunt

Signals-Digital Man

Grace Under Pressure-Red Sector A

Power Windows- Middletown Dreams

Hold Your Fire- Mission

Presto- War Paint

Why does everybody keep saying PW is a 70's album? If it was released in the 80's it's an 80's album in my book.

It was recorded in the 1970s and the first song releases from the album were made in the 70s. How could people hear a 1980s album in the 1970s?

You mean how could people hear a 1980's record in the 70's? :P Where did you get that the first releases were made in the 70's? Give me a date.

It doesn't matter if The Spirit Of Radio was released as a single in 1979. The album was released in 1980, you couldn't by the album in 1979.

It could have been released in 1979. It was a done deal probably long before new year's eve 1979.

Waiting until Jan. 1 to release it was the result of a "silly whim" . . .

70s album. Late 70s, sure, but still 70s.

It doesn't matter if The Spirit Of Radio was released as a single in 1979. The album was released in 1980, you couldn't by the album in 1979.

It could have been released in 1979. It was a done deal probably long before new year's eve 1979.

No. No. No. It was no silly whim. There was a method to Ray's madness. :dweez:

Gahh.....can we move on from this stupid meaningless year debate.

Oh yea i'm on TRF. Home to stupid meaningless debates :P

Mick

There's another one going on in Feedback. I think my husband gave the best answer.

Don't think this one is quite "put to bed"

Gahh.....can we move on from this stupid meaningless year debate.

Oh yea i'm on TRF. Home to stupid meaningless debates :P

Mick

There's another one going on in Feedback. I think my husband gave the best answer.

Don't think this one is quite "put to bed"

Mick is right. Every few months, when we've exhausted all of the other fights, we pull this old one back up. Same thing happens every time too.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures - Lime Light

Signals - Subdivisions

Grace Unde Pressure - Red Sector A

Power Windows - The Big Money

Hold Yer Fire - Time Stand Still

Presto - Chain Lightning

This entire thread was invalidated by the inclusion of a 70s album and anyone who contributes their list is complicit in this abomination.

You can eat my fat gooey turd

With ketchup. Coz I am nice like that!

• Like 1

:musicnote: It doesn't fit the plan! :musicnote:

• Like 1

This entire thread was invalidated by the inclusion of a 70s album and anyone who contributes their list is complicit in this abomination.

Not doing either but that is far preferable to an aural assault by "the Boss".

:musicnote: It doesn't fit the plan! :musicnote:

I can't find the interview. I know I would have saved it because it was a lengthy and really good interview with Ray but I can't find it. My files are like a maze. Don't get lost in them. You may never find your way out again. :scared:

Edited by Lorraine

I just say whatever decade makes you feel comfortable.

If the idea of permanent waves as an 80's album makes you want to make endless topics on it......then it's a 70's album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Why does everybody keep saying PW is a 70's album? If it was released in the 80's it's an 80's album in my book.

It was recorded in the 1970s and the first song releases from the album were made in the 70s. How could people hear a 1980s album in the 1970s?

You mean how could people hear a 1980's record in the 70's? :P Where did you get that the first releases were made in the 70's? Give me a date.

Don't have an exact date (not that it matters) but

Promotional 12-inch copies were released in the United States late 1979 with the B-sides of "Working Man" and "The Trees", and the song being incorrectly titled "The Spirit of the Radio"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Radio

Maybe you know more than me, but it says at WIKI that all the singles were released in 1980. They didn't start writing the record until July 79. Came out Jan. 80. That is an 80's record. Even style says 80's to me. After all the weirdness that was their 70's catalog, suddenly this one screamed "airplay" and mainstream. By Rush standards at least.

https://en.wikipedia...Permanent_Waves

http://www.discogs.com/Rush-Spirit-Of-Radio/release/584714

I may be old and losing my memory but somehow I recall going to a Permanent Waves tour show and hearing a bunch of Permanent Waves songs pretty well before 1980. I could be wrong though. It was at the Capital Centre in Landover MD if anyone wants to double check for me... :codger:
  • Like 1

Not doing either but that is far preferable to an aural assault by "the Boss".

Not surprised.

My poot is sweet and tangy!

I didn't know this, about Lifeson's initial reaction to finishing the record:

‘Permanent Waves’ earned Rush new hoards of fans, even converting some of their harshest critics. But Lifeson himself wasn’t engaged by the album at first.

“I went through a period where I couldn’t listen to the album,” the guitarist told ‘Music Express.’ “I was really disappointed. It didn’t seem like there was anything new or fresh about the album. We had written the material last summer, had performed three of the songs onstage and had spent a couple of months in recording. By the time we had finished, we were getting tired of the material. It wasn’t at all like ‘Hemispheres,’ which was written two weeks before we recorded it.

“I was really bluesed out about the whole thing,” he continued. “‘Jacob’s Ladder’ seemed to be a typical Rush song, a rehash of something we’d done in the past. But then I started hearing the album on the radio, and I thought ‘Wow, this sounds great.’ Then I realized I had over-reacted to the album and that I had been overly-critical of small insignificant things that hadn’t affected the overall effect of the record.”

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3