Rush - Roll The Bones LIVE R40 VIDEO!

Sticklight

It seems that we are getting 2nd night... At the end Lerxst changes guitars which means Between The Wheels next.

It appears that way. It's most likely that the 2nd night's gonna be the "main" concert with the swap songs from the 1st night being part of the bonus features.

The camera angles seems better on this than on previous dvds... very close shots and plenty distant shots, maybe only too much views of heads in the audience

It seems that we are getting 2nd night... At the end Lerxst changes guitars which means Between The Wheels next.

It appears that way. It's most likely that the 2nd night's gonna be the "main" concert with the swap songs from the 1st night being part of the bonus features.

Makes sense considering I think the general opinion was that the 2nd night was much better performance wise. Plus Losing It! I don't care which one ends up being the "main" one as long as all the songs played those 2 nights are on there in some form.

November 20, that's awesome!

Live album too, I assume. That's what I really want.

And wow, Geddy sounds good here. Will have to hear the whole thing before I can say how it ranks, but his performance looks to edge out CA Lie, and is miles ahead of Time Machine tour, which was a pretty poor vocal performance (I think it's been said he was sick).

Edited by puffyshirt

Looks and sounds fantastic! And what a gorgeous Precision Bass the Ged man is sporting! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Looks and sounds fantastic! And what gorgeous Precision Bass the Ged man is sporting!

You can really hear the P bass tone out of it on this. In concert it wasn't as obvious.

• Like 1

Soooo much better than the CA concert stuff- I'm getting excited! This gives me hope for November 20th! I agree with EagleMoon, I wish they showed the band a bit more, but this seems really well done. Good sound so far as well.
  • Like 1

Very happy with the mix and the editing. Looks like they purposely avoided the vertigo-inducing quick edits - and found an excellent balance of shots focused on each player, up close, overhead, crowd shots, screen shots. (I hope they have a wide angle for the Cygnus laser show!)

I wondered if they mixed footage from the two nights a bit - I noticed on the drum groove leading into the verse, both times, the hat sound is the tight / choked, but the video shows those hats sloshing away, fairly open. Just for that tiny clip, the visual just didn't match the audio in this drummer's brain. Could be the mix tightened up that sound a bit there - I'll have to re-watch.

That's the first thing I noticed on my first viewing as well! Very subtle, but it stood out to me, being a drummer I guess :)

• Like 1

Very happy with the mix and the editing. Looks like they purposely avoided the vertigo-inducing quick edits - and found an excellent balance of shots focused on each player, up close, overhead, crowd shots, screen shots. (I hope they have a wide angle for the Cygnus laser show!)

I wondered if they mixed footage from the two nights a bit - I noticed on the drum groove leading into the verse, both times, the hat sound is the tight / choked, but the video shows those hats sloshing away, fairly open. Just for that tiny clip, the visual just didn't match the audio in this drummer's brain. Could be the mix tightened up that sound a bit there - I'll have to re-watch.

That's the first thing I noticed on my first viewing as well! Very subtle, but it stood out to me, being a drummer I guess :)

They would have mixed the audio separately from the video, so it's very likely.

Another thing I noticed about the video is how refreshingly easy it is to hear EXACTLY what Neil is doing with his hi hat. It's been awhile since we've had a live release where that was true
  • Like 1

I wonder if they'll try squeezing in The Camera Eye from another how somehow since it wasn't played in Toronto

Some say it was filmed at the KC show (which I was at!!)

If that's true, I wonder if they just used the house feed cameras to film that song. While we're at it, The Wreckers should be included as well cause it wasn't played at either show IIRC.

• Like 1

It's usually the case that video is edited separately from audio mixing (not just concerts but movies in general) but I'd fathom that when editing the video, there's a rough audio mix for sync reference. That's the wonders of having two night's worth of footage to edit from.

It's usually the case that video is edited separately from audio mixing (not just concerts but movies in general) but I'd fathom that when editing the video, there's a rough audio mix for sync reference. That's the wonders of having two night's worth of footage to edit from.

Well sure, there would almost have to be. Easy enough to find on YouTube. :)

Wow, didn't even know there was a clip already from the dvd out. my opinion, much more like R30 which was my fav dvd so far.. Not all goofy like time machine and Ca was the worst. in terms of brittle sound , that goofy camera angle on neils drum kit. and geddys horrible embarrassing vocals. thank god they touched him up here. But its the way I like it. I bet we will slowly get more videos as time goes on up until nov 20th.. Thank god they stopped touring cause if they did another leg, this dvd would not be coming out this quickly. mark my words..

Wow, didn't even know there was a clip already from the dvd out. my opinion, much more like R30 which was my fav dvd so far.. Not all goofy like time machine and Ca was the worst. in terms of brittle sound , that goofy camera angle on neils drum kit. and geddys horrible embarrassing vocals. thank god they touched him up here. But its the way I like it. I bet we will slowly get more videos as time goes on up until nov 20th.. Thank god they stopped touring cause if they did another leg, this dvd would not be coming out this quickly. mark my words..

You can't just say they tinkered with the vocals. Geddy did sound that good on the R40 Tour and if you watch an audience recording of Roll the Bones from the second night, it matches up with the vocal performance from the audio/video.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst
  • Like 1

After watching this, i am definitely going to pre-order this, the mixing is phenomenal, and the video doesn't switch angels ever 5 second.

Geddy in the song itself sounds amazing, even though his voice yodels a little, it is still remarkable performance from him.

I cant wait for the release now