Narcissism In Rush Songs

ouchithurts

All of SA and most of CA. No one cares about Neil's ranty religious/antireligious lyrics.
  • Like 5

All of SA and most of CA. No one cares about Neil's ranty religious/antireligious lyrics.

Well, Freewill is one of their biggest hits and beloved by most of the fan base, so that's not entirely true. I never got any religious meanings from the lyrics on CA.

• Like 1

Well, Freewill is one of their biggest hits and beloved by most of the fan base, so that's not entirely true. I never got any religious meanings from the lyrics on CA.

I never pay attention to the lyrics on Freewill. Too much to distract me. CA is boring, so I listen to the lyrics. Between songs I feel compelled to say "amen".

A quote, not from a song, but just something Neil said ... This has got to be one of the most delusional, self-important quotes I can remember ( ... you take the good with the bad and what we've got is our old Uncle Neil )

There's still a lot I'm angry about, a lot of human behaviour that's appalling and despicable, but you choose what you can fight against. I always thought if I could just put something in words perfectly enough, people would get the idea and it would change things.

... yes, Neil, if you could just enlighten us all, you, and you alone, would make the world a better place

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

A quote, not from a song, but just something Neil said ... This has got to be one of the most delusional, self-important quotes I can remember ( ... you take the good with the bad and what we've got is our old Uncle Neil )

There's still a lot I'm angry about, a lot of human behaviour that's appalling and despicable, but you choose what you can fight against. I always thought if I could just put something in words perfectly enough, people would get the idea and it would change things.

... yes, Neil, if you could just enlighten us all, you, and you alone, would make the world a better place

That's funny because I don't take that quote that way at all. I think most writers hope that their words will have an effect on others in some positive way. It's a bit idealistic but thats youth.

• Like 3

That's funny because I don't take that quote that way at all. I think most writers hope that their words will have an effect on others in some positive way. It's a bit idealistic but thats youth.

I hesitate to even post stuff like that because Neil, Alex and Geddy have always, and will always mean so much to me ..

Neil is a bit over dramatic when it comes to certain things, but then again, most interesting people - actually, ALL interesting people - have things to say, and a lot of it will cause eyes to roll ...

But we love them regardless because that's what makes them click

• Like 1

He didn't write Imagine did he? If that song didn't change folks then none will. Sorry Uncle Grumpy...

I never pay attention to the lyrics on Freewill. Too much to distract me. CA is boring, so I listen to the lyrics. Between songs I feel compelled to say "amen".

BU2B never struck J2112YYZ as having any (anti-)religious slant?

:eh:

He didn't write Imagine did he? If that song didn't change folks then none will. Sorry Uncle Grumpy...

A lot of Neil's lyrics seem to come from a narcissistic place. Like Lucas points out, there is this underlying tone of him feeling that he has some great insight that he needs to share to all the little people out there, so they can just understand the way things should be.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a very art-rock thing.

• Like 2

A lot of Neil's lyrics seem to come from a narcissistic place. Like Lucas points out, there is this underlying tone of him feeling that he has some great insight that he needs to share to all the little people out there, so they can just understand the way things should be.

In theory all writing is narcissistic if it comes from within and is an expression of someone's feelings.

• Like 1

In theory all writing is narcissistic if it comes from within and is an exp<b></b>ression of someone's feelings.

True.
  • Like 1

How about Anthem? If we're talking about narcissism in the sense of egoism - concern for the individual self before others? Or are you thinking more in terms of vanity, that sort of obsessive love of one's own appearance (War Paint - "All puffed up with vanity / we see what we want to see")?
  • Like 2

How about Anthem? If we're talking about narcissism in the sense of egoism - concern for the individual self before others? Or are you thinking more in terms of vanity, that sort of obsessive love of one's own appearance (War Paint - "All puffed up with vanity / we see what we want to see")?

Anthem is a great example.

You're contention is Imagine didn't change anyone?

You're contention is Imagine didn't change anyone?

No. If I meant it that way I would have said "anyone" not folks. By folks I meant a majority of people or people in massive numbers. A movement if you will. I hope that makes sense?...