THE ONLY COLLEGE THREAD

That One Guy

I go to "art school" which is a joke to some degree (which I might explain more in detail later) but I'm supposed to get a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts (BFA) so I guess it counts.

A degree is better than no degree.

Engineering peeps do make fun of art majors from time to time. It's just a thing.

• Like 2

I go to "art school" which is a joke to some degree (which I might explain more in detail later) but I'm supposed to get a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts (BFA) so I guess it counts.

A degree is better than no degree.

Engineering peeps do make fun of art majors from time to time. It's just a thing.

At my school, the different majors make fun of the different majors. And the film peeps, there's clicks and those clicks are usually ambivalent towards another.

General Ed is hell. I don't want to waste time re-memorizing facts about history or be judged on trivial styling of language (these are what "higher English" classes are referred to). I went through this shit in elementary school, Jr. high school, high school, and now college? Just let me skip to the courses relevant to my major. I'm here for math and hard sciences, not soft sciences, pseudo-sciences, ascribed political perspectives... I'm fine with thinking for myself as far as those go. This educational system is seriously deranged.

General Ed is hell. I don't want to waste time re-memorizing facts about history or be judged on trivial styling of language (these are what "higher English" classes are referred to). I went through this shit in elementary school, Jr. high school, high school, and now college? Just let me skip to the courses relevant to my major. I'm here for math and hard sciences, not soft sciences, pseudo-sciences, ascribed political perspectives... I'm fine with thinking for myself as far as those go. This educational system is seriously deranged.

It's so you have a well-rounded education. Narrowly focusing on one thing is more of a trade school thing. I've disliked my fair share of gen eds, but at the same time I've loved several of them too.

It's so you have a well-rounded education. Narrowly focusing on one thing is more of a trade school thing. I've disliked my fair share of gen eds, but at the same time I've loved several of them too.

I understand this, but as I said, I've taken most of these courses once before in high school, Jr. High, or even in elementary school. As for US history? This is my fourth time taking the course. That's f*cking ridiculous, honestly... And it's not even like I had many options for these credits either -- I didn't want to take a women's studies course, and egyptian / african (or some other more specific) history classes were all far too scarce and at inconvenient times.

I'm only in any of this for a degree, and I can't wait to get this general education suffering out of the way... I've been putting off college for a long time, and this is one of the main reasons why. At this point I figure that the sooner i get it all over with the better.

I understand this, but as I said, I've taken most of these courses once before in high school, Jr. High, or even in elementary school. As for US history? This is my fourth time taking the course. That's f*cking ridiculous, honestly... And it's not even like I had many options for these credits either -- I didn't want to take a women's studies course, and egyptian / african (or some other more specific) history classes were all far too scarce and at inconvenient times.

I'm only in any of this for a degree, and I can't wait to get this general education suffering out of the way... I've been putting off college for a long time, and this is one of the main reasons why. At this point I figure that the sooner i get it all over with the better.

It's just not that big of a deal. My American Institutions professor did an excellent job of covering stuff that I hadn't seen before.

Among my other chosen gen-eds were Foundations of Business Thought, Intro to Anthropology, History Of Rock N' Roll, Survey of Jazz, etc. Come to think of it, I loved all of those classes. Requireds included chemistry and writing and such.

I wouldn't call it too much suffering. They were by far the easiest classes I've had to take; gen eds tend to be lower-division courses.

Edited by That One Guy

It's just not that big of a deal. My American Institutions professor did an excellent job of covering stuff that I hadn't seen before.

Among my other chosen gen-eds were Foundations of Business Thought, Intro to Anthropology, History Of Rock N' Roll, Survey of Jazz, etc. Come to think of it, I loved all of those classes. Requireds included chemistry and writing and such.

I wouldn't call it too much suffering. They were by far the easiest classes I've had to take; gen eds tend to be lower-division courses.

Perhaps I shouldn't blame it on the system so much as my instructor... And State... He's a typical Californian white guilt pussy who actually will take 10 minutes of the class aside to talk about his own political agenda, and even if I don't necessarily disagree with what he advocates it truly pisses me off that most of the students take the indoctrination without any sort of question. This on top of not learning much information that is new nor useful is just too much for me not to be irritated.

So yes, this is suffering... This is supposed to be a higher form of education, but until I take advanced programming classes, it's nothing but a farce.

Edited by Mr. Not

Perhaps I shouldn't blame it on the system so much as my instructor... And State... He's a typical Californian white guilt pussy who actually will take 10 minutes of the class aside to talk about his own political agenda, and even if I don't necessarily disagree with what he advocates it truly pisses me off that most of the students take the indoctrination without any sort of question. This on top of not learning much information that is new nor useful is just too much for me not to be irritated.

So yes, this is suffering... This is supposed to be a higher form of education, but until I take advanced programming classes, it's nothing but a farce.

I counter white guilt with White Pride. White people have done some pretty f***ing great stuff, at times.

Goooo white people! :yes:

I counter white guilt with White Pride. White people have done some pretty f***ing great stuff, at times.

That makes you a bigot.

That makes you a bigot.

That's what the anti-white-pride people want you to think

That makes you a bigot.

I agree completely, which is why I made the comment... But that doesn't change the fact that most commoners will see you as a bigot though, which will potentially harm your progress as a human within this society... Which is something you don't want to happen.

Call me paranoid, but I don't want to take any of those sort of risks.

That makes you a bigot.

I agree completely, which is why I made the comment... But that doesn't change the fact that most commoners will see you as a bigot though, which will potentially harm your progress as a human within this society... Which is something you don't want to happen.

My progress as a human within this society is going pretty well. Quality > quantity when it comes to people in my life. If someone has a problem with the fact that I drop the N word occasionally - because I didn't own slaves in 1859 - they can find other people to associate with. And they will.

I'm just some Engineer-In-Training who's trying to travel the world, and embark on deep soul-searching.

• Like 1

That makes you a bigot.

My progress as a human within this society is going pretty well. Quality > quantity when it comes to people in my life. If someone has a problem with the fact that I drop the N word occasionally - because I didn't own slaves in 1859 - they can find other people to associate with. And they will.

I'm just some Engineer-In-Training who's trying to travel the world, and embark on deep soul-searching.

I hope to inherent your level of confidence one day

I seriously could make use of it :LOL:

That makes you a bigot.

I hope to inherent your level of confidence one day

I seriously could make use of it :LOL:

Step 1: engage yourself in a "Me-Moment" once every 1-2 weeks. This is where you stop dead in your tracks, and take the time to reflect on yourself in an absurdly positive manner, usually in public.

An example, "Wow, I did great on that homework... I am pretty f***in' great sometimes... I. Kick. Ass. Me dude, me."

I'm so glad I powered through most of my gen ed stuff. Now I only need one a semester until the end. The rest of my classes are at least related to my major from her on out. I can finally see if I'm good at Accounting after all.

I was pleased to slowly find out I'm pretty good at everything in civil engineering so far

I'm so glad I powered through most of my gen ed stuff. Now I only need one a semester until the end. The rest of my classes are at least related to my major from her on out. I can finally see if I'm good at Accounting after all.

I was pleased to slowly find out I'm pretty good at everything in civil engineering so far

It's kinda bullshit that you have to do so many gen eds for the first 2 years (depending on where you go) and you collect that debt before you even realize whether or not its what you really want to do

It's kinda bullshit that you have to do so many gen eds for the first 2 years (depending on where you go) and you collect that debt before you even realize whether or not its what you really want to do

The definition of a gen ed is something required for pretty much all majors. So if you changed majors you'd still have your gen eds done. Unless you mean lower division classes in your major.

• Like 1