What do you do when you can't sleep?

toymaker

What is weird for me is,

A train, dishwasher and washer/dryer never really bother me.Why, i have no idea. The TV, music or people talking drives me nuts. I think it must be the change of voice ect... Especially the TV.

Same here. I don't understand it at all, either. Is there a sleep Dr. In the forum?

• Like 1

I always sleep with a 'white noise' machine whirring in the background. I can't sleep if it is completely silent. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Oh yeah - if I can't sleep I also have this turtle (which is for little kids) that lights up the ceiling with stars ( amber , blue or green). juvenile, but it helps.

I usually have a fan noise going because of my tinnitus. Drives me nuts when it's perfectly quiet.

Fans are backups. Absolutely!

Edited by librarian

What is weird for me is,

A train, dishwasher and washer/dryer never really bother me.Why, i have no idea. The TV, music or people talking drives me nuts. I think it must be the change of voice ect... Especially the TV.

Same here. I don't understand it at all, either. Is there a sleep Dr. In the forum?

Probably because there's a change in sound frequency with some things and not others. Apparently, the change in frequency wakes us up and not the loudness itself.

• Like 1

I always sleep with a 'white noise' machine whirring in the background. I can't sleep if it is completely silent. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Oh yeah - if I can't sleep I also have this turtle (which is for little kids) that lights up the ceiling with stars ( amber , blue or green). juvenile, but it helps.

I usually have a fan noise going because of my tinnitus. Drives me nuts when it's perfectly quiet.

i run a fan twelve months of the year at night to drown out noise. It helps a lot. The noise of traffic (or trains going through) doesn't bother me, but I can't stand hearing music (the bass drives me nuts) or people talking or a television when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Some people are lucky to be able to fall asleep no matter what's going on. Unfortunately, that's not me; I have to have absolute silence. Except for my fan. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

i run a fan twelve months of the year at night to drown out noise. It helps a lot. The noise of traffic (or trains going through) doesn't bother me, but I can't stand hearing music (the bass drives me nuts) or people talking or a television when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Some people are lucky to be able to fall asleep no matter what's going on. Unfortunately, that's not me; I have to have absolute silence. Except for my fan. :)

I know people who can't fall asleep without the tv on. The light flashing and change in noise volume drives me nuts.

• Like 1

I know people who can't fall asleep without the tv on. The light flashing and change in noise volume drives me nuts.

Same here,

It drives me nuts. Plus, I am a light sleeper.

• Like 1

Same here,

It drives me nuts. Plus, I am a light sleeper.

Me too.

• Like 2

I suffer a bit from misophonia, as well. There are some sounds that I dislike (I don't lash out or anything, but inside I start going slightly mad) - particularly loud chewing, people who chew with their mouth open, that sort of thing. I also can't stand too much repetition in music, which is why I don't like a lot of pop music - the relentless beat and repeated hooks get to me (if I were to say, go out drinking and dancing, ha ha, I might not find it so offensive - I get what it's for in that context).

I tried to explain to my daughter why I don't like rap music - I don't find it offensive in principle, I just don't find it very musical; a lot of it is very monotonous to me. Much pop music is the same way. There's a Justin Beiber song out right now that has this irritating sound effect in it - I have to leave the room when it comes on - it has this sort of hand-drum beat going on.

Just searched it - it's called Where Are U Now. The peak of irritation for me.

I understand the folks here who find the white noise soothing. As long as there are no detectable patterns in the white noise, it usually works for me, except when it doesn't. Any other backround noise, forget it. I hate waking up at around 4:00 and hearing the frigging birds outside. There's this one bird that makes this repeating noise that sort of sounds like "Hey bud. Hey bud. Hey bud. Hey bud." I believe it was sent here to punish me for my transgressions.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I suffer a bit from misophonia, as well. There are some sounds that I dislike (I don't lash out or anything, but inside I start going slightly mad) - particularly loud chewing, people who chew with their mouth open, that sort of thing. I also can't stand too much repetition in music, which is why I don't like a lot of pop music - the relentless beat and repeated hooks get to me (if I were to say, go out drinking and dancing, ha ha, I might not find it so offensive - I get what it's for in that context).

I tried to explain to my daughter why I don't like rap music - I don't find it offensive in principle, I just don't find it very musical; a lot of it is very monotonous to me. Much pop music is the same way. There's a Justin Beiber song out right now that has this irritating sound effect in it - I have to leave the room when it comes on - it has this sort of hand-drum beat going on.

I understand the folks here who find the white noise soothing. As long as there are no detectable patterns in the white noise, it usually works for me, except when it doesn't. Any other backround noise, forget it. I hate waking up at around 4:00 and hearing the frigging birds outside. There's this one bird that makes this repeating noise that sort of sounds like "Hey bud. Hey bud. Hey bud. Hey bud." I believe it was sent here to punish me for my transgressions.

There is,

No way in hell I could put up with that crap. I would go sleep in my van. :LOL: That being said. Earlier it was just too loud inside the house. I went outside and slept on the porch swing. It was heaven!! :D

• Like 1

There is,

No way in hell I could put up with that crap. I would go sleep in my van. :LOL: That being said. Earlier it was just too loud inside the house. I went outside and slept on the porch swing. It was heaven!! :D

I think most people have misophonia when it comes to Justin Bieber. :LOL:

• Like 2

FART a whole lot. http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/FARTS%20AMIGHTY/fartonyou.gif