Whatever Happened To Common Decency?

Lorraine

But why is it necessary to use these words? Can't you get a point across, or place emphasis on something without using it?

these words only freak you out because people told you they should when you were young.

it's not "necessary" to talk at all. we can use hand signals or clicking noises. but sometimes swearing just sounds better. words are words. time and a place.

why do I have to explain to someone who lived through the summer of love and bra-burnings that "dang" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "damn"?

And here I thought you were smart. How can you still be missing my point?

I know how much you dislike my generation. You can't get past that dislike either.

Lorraine, don't you see, Bathory is smart--and he understands what you are saying, he just doesn't agree with your opinion and is expressing his own.

I don't think he is dising your generation at all--he is just trying to explain his own generation and opinion--and you are the one not listening, you just see things differently.

Neither of you is right or wrong--just different.

This has NOTHING to do with ANYONE being right or wrong.

He's not explaining anything to me. Unless "this is just the way it is and if you don't like it then that means you just are afraid - afraid of language, afraid of change" is his explanation.

what other conclusion can I reach?

and what was wrong with what I said? unless you are truly delusional enough to believe that "people" really have "gotten worse." even though crime rates have drastically decreased, college attendance is at an all-time high, but no, you can see "the truth" from the computer room's window.

I hope when I'm old I'm not so arrogant to think that my word is law simply because I'm old.

There's not much hope for that because you are already arrogant to the hilt.

yes, I have confidence in my opinions when I know I'm not saying anything wrong. I explained those opinions and the no-swearing club still doesn't understand. some people understand the concept of "time and a place," the rest of you can keep pretending life is just like mayberry.

Bathory, you make a lot of assumptions. Who's talking about living in Mayberry?

I don't dislike you. You remind me a lot of myself at your age. That's why I feel sorry for you.

whenever someone complains about "young people" as if they are all alike, I get a mayberry vibe. but in fairness, I have made plenty of generalizations about "old people."

I don't dislike you either! but don't feel sorry for me - I might be loud and arrogant but I'll be fine.

I genuinely hope so. And I really mean that. I hope for nothing but the best for you in your life.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

But why is it necessary to use these words? Can't you get a point across, or place emphasis on something without using it?

these words only freak you out because people told you they should when you were young.

it's not "necessary" to talk at all. we can use hand signals or clicking noises. but sometimes swearing just sounds better. words are words. time and a place.

why do I have to explain to someone who lived through the summer of love and bra-burnings that "dang" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "damn"?

And here I thought you were smart. How can you still be missing my point?

I know how much you dislike my generation. You can't get past that dislike either.

Lorraine, don't you see, Bathory is smart--and he understands what you are saying, he just doesn't agree with your opinion and is expressing his own.

I don't think he is dising your generation at all--he is just trying to explain his own generation and opinion--and you are the one not listening, you just see things differently.

Neither of you is right or wrong--just different.

This has NOTHING to do with ANYONE being right or wrong.

He's not explaining anything to me. Unless "this is just the way it is and if you don't like it then that means you just are afraid - afraid of language, afraid of change" is his explanation.

what other conclusion can I reach?

and what was wrong with what I said? unless you are truly delusional enough to believe that "people" really have "gotten worse." even though crime rates have drastically decreased, college attendance is at an all-time high, but no, you can see "the truth" from the computer room's window.

I hope when I'm old I'm not so arrogant to think that my word is law simply because I'm old.

There's not much hope for that because you are already arrogant to the hilt.

yes, I have confidence in my opinions when I know I'm not saying anything wrong. I explained those opinions and the no-swearing club still doesn't understand. some people understand the concept of "time and a place," the rest of you can keep pretending life is just like mayberry.

Bathory, you make a lot of assumptions. Who's talking about living in Mayberry?

I don't dislike you. You remind me a lot of myself at your age. That's why I feel sorry for you.

whenever someone complains about "young people" as if they are all alike, I get a mayberry vibe. but in fairness, I have made plenty of generalizations about "old people."

I don't dislike you either! but don't feel sorry for me - I might be loud and arrogant but I'll be fine.

I genuinely hope so. And I really mean that. I hope for nothing but the best for you in your life.

I know it's sincere coming from you! and I wish the best for all of you, too - I hope you never have bad neighbors or are exposed to uncomfortable levels of swearing ever again :D

really, as long as I keep working and don't try hard drugs and don't have a kid I think my life should kick ass. of course, everyone thinks their life is gonna kick ass when they're my age.

• Like 2

Lets put it this way,

When the OSU & Michigan game comes on this year. It will be all out fu**. Good or bad. :LOL: I give a week's notice when the game is going to be played. And I do not feel bad at all. Its in the blood. :D :codger:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Lorraine, so did I miss this in another thread?? Does this mean THE problem neighbors have left??

And I agree with you and disagree with some here, sorry. Everyone knows those words but people who have been around awhile choose not to use them because they know others will be judging them. Most just won't tell you.

Stone, best wishes to your son starting his new career! He sounds awesome!

Thanks, we think he is ok--and on the right track.

and his benefits pay for all of his schooling and then some.

• Like 1

....and there went an entire afternoon spent arguing with women three times my age about when/when not to swear.

I guess I need to get off the computer

Dude,

Its all good. Life goes on. Now go eat a fu***** cupcake. :LOL: :P

• Like 3

....and there went an entire afternoon spent arguing with women three times my age about when/when not to swear.

I guess I need to get off the computer

Dude,

Its all good. Life goes on. Now go eat a fu***** cupcake. :LOL: :P

Is that a new flavour?

• Like 2

When I'm at home with friends watching the hockey game on T.V. we'll all yell and swear when the game doesn't go our way. When we go to the rink to watch a game and there are 5,000+ people we'll still yell and be obnoxious, but we'll avoid swearing. There's a time and place to f***ing swear, it's all about knowing the boundaries, and some people have a hard time figuring it out.

You have no idea,

How many times I said Fu** during the NCAA football championship last year. :laughing guy: :chickendance:

The NFL season is starting up soon. I wonder how many times i'll say "f**k" throughout the course of it? With the Bills being my hometown team that's bound to happen very frequently like it has every season for the last 15 years. How the f**k do you miss the playoffs that many years in a row? :LOL:

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

When I'm at home with friends watching the hockey game on T.V. we'll all yell and swear when the game doesn't go our way. When we go to the rink to watch a game and there are 5,000+ people we'll still yell and be obnoxious, but we'll avoid swearing. There's a time and place to f***ing swear, it's all about knowing the boundaries, and some people have a hard time figuring it out.

You have no idea,

How many times I said Fu** during the NCAA football championship last year. :laughing guy: :chickendance:

The NFL season is starting up soon. I wonder how many times i'll say "f**k" throughout the course of it? With the Bills being my hometown team that's bound to happen very frequently like it has every season for the last 15 years.

Hopefully they do well this year--they are due.

• Like 1

You have no idea,

The NFL season is starting up soon. I wonder how many times i'll say "f**k" throughout the course of it? With the Bills being my hometown team that's bound to happen very frequently like it has every season for the last 15 years.

Put a quarter in a cup every time you do. If you lose track, estimate. At the end of the NFL season, donate whatever amount has accumulated in the cup to a local charity or soup kitchen. :LOL:

• Like 2

And there is no regard to where this language is spoken. Go to a ballgame and listen to a couple of drunks yelling obscenities most of the game with kids nearby. And nuns! :o Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 2

And there is no regard to where this language is spoken. Go to a ballgame and listed to a couple of drunks yelling obscenities most of the game with kids nearby. And nuns! :o

I remember that happening when I was a kid--found it hilarious, especially when the drunk seemed to be watching a completely different game.

And there is no regard to where this language is spoken. Go to a ballgame and listed to a couple of drunks yelling obscenities most of the game with kids nearby. And nuns! :o

People can have no respect for others. Of course once alcohol is involved, all bets are off.

• Like 1

You have no idea,

Hopefully they do well this year--they are due.

They had great teams in the passed,

How they never won the big one is amazing! :facepalm: I would freak out if I were a Bills fan. :madra:

and as a younger person with no reason to romanticize any particular period of time, there have always been shitty people and good people. rude people, nice people. none of this is a product of late-night television, rap music, or democrats - it's just human nature.

go back to the middle ages and people might be swearing less but you'll run into other issues that would make you want to get back to that nice, air-conditioned computer room in no time.

:goodone:

You have no idea,

Put a quarter in a cup every time you do. If you lose track, estimate. At the end of the NFL season, donate whatever amount has accumulated in the cup to a local charity or soup kitchen. :LOL:

I watched the Avs lose game 7 to Minnesota 5-4 in overtime. We never trailed all game, but Minny would always score within five minutes of us. I would of went broke.

• Like 2

Lorraine were these the neighbors that were causing a lot of grief?

Yes. They are gone now. The clean-up crew is hard at work trying to get the place is some kind of order.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :banana: :banana: :banana: :7up: :7up: :7up:

• Like 2

There is a cleaning crew (two - sometimes three- trucks) cleaning out the house next door. They've already been there for three days and still not done, so filthy and piled high with trash and other paraphernalia the house and property are. The clean up crew is mostly in their mid to late twenties, some I would guess in their early thirties.

And I have a question to ask that generation.

Can you not use one sentence without the word "f**k"? Ever?

I'm noticing more and more that we seem to losing at a rapid rate a lot in this country. You should hear the tales the clean-up crew have told some neighbors. Try this one on for size:

When asked if this house was the worst they ever encountered, one of them replied that no, it wasn't. The worst was the house that had in it buckets and buckets and buckets piled high, he said, with feces and urine - with mattresses on top of those buckets. Yes, that's right. The people who lived in this home slept on mattresses on top of the buckets filled with their waste.

My my, I must say their job sounds bloody disgusting! Poor chaps, I wish them the best.

Their language, however, is quite unwarranted; very corrupt. Let me know if they continue with it, because if they do I'd like to have a good word with their employer(s). Is anyone thinking of the children anymore?

I'll be back tomorrow with a new observation and question.

With the way this thread blew up, you might want to wait a few days until it calms down before you start something new.

My post wasn't serious. I thought that the smile face in the next post would have conveyed that, but I guess not.

I will go back and edit it.

Edited by Lorraine